Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Website Ideas - Comments > Make a Suggestion or Report a Problem Here
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 08-15-2018, 11:04 AM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Roo Records View Post
Against my better judgement, I will jump in here: as a long time viewer of the Gorilla Channel, I think it misses the mark to say that the poster is pretending to be a channel posting on the internet. Because, what what that even mean? The conceit is a little blurry around the edges to my eyes. A few of their comments do indeed appear to be the kinds of things a gorilla might post. Perhaps the gag is that there is a gorilla running the gorilla channel? They would certainly be the best qualified. It makes about as much sense as a kangaroo working as an actuary.

While name has "channel" in it, most of the posts seem to be parodies of the kinds of comments Donald Trump might make watching said channel. Which again, due to the nature of Trump's singular diction, come across as fairly simian most of the time. The lines are blurry. I think it might be a mistake to try to pin it down.

All this being said: when I first saw bigb's post, I immediately understood the joke to be

- gorilla channel is a gorilla, or at least in some sense embodies the essence of a gorilla
- most gorillas are black
- the picture of the gorilla posted was white
- if a black gorilla had a white gorilla offspring, that would make it an interracial gorilla baby

This is not a good joke, and it doesn't make sense, even under the most generous reading possible. But any analysis that depends on an argument like "that can't be what bigb meant, because that wouldn't make sense" fails to take into account something very fundamental about bigb imo.

I'm not even saying the joke wasn't inappropriate. It was tone deaf and cringey at best, and even if bigb wasn't going for quite the joke that some people are reading into his post, that's still on him for not realizing that it could be taken that way, especially given some of the abhorrent stuff he has posted. All this to say: I don't want to defend bigb's posting history in toto, and I don't necessarily disagree with the decision to ban him ceteris paribus. I'm just saying that this poster, for one, read the post in question, and as distasteful as I find a lot of what bigb says in general, it never occurred to be that bigb was trying to make a comparison between any human baby and a gorilla.
Quote:
Summary: bigb was up to some monkey business, and while his post was a little bananas, I don't know if it's worth going ape over
out of all the bernie bros, i like you. i think you are intelligent, make good posts at times, have a good sense of humor and good judgement.

I am not even defending bigb anymore because at this point that is pointless, i am simply expressing my appreciation of your contribution to AO.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pension.Mathematics View Post
out of all the bernie bros, i like you. i think you are intelligent, make good posts at times, have a good sense of humor and good judgement.

I am not even defending bigb anymore because at this point that is pointless, i am simply expressing my appreciation of your contribution to AO.
Appreciate, bro. Maybe in the future, note that I'm kind of a non-fan of Bernie Sanders, and have been since before the election?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:11 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Summary: bigb was up to some monkey business, and while his post was a little bananas, I don't know if it's worth going ape over
Old 08-15-2018, 11:40 AM
SOA

Quote:
I'm pretty sure bigb has been banned lots before. I would be pretty surprised if he had never gotten any infractions for racism.
I'm guessing he has more points for insulting than racism, but he has both. As PP mentioned, we don't have an easy way to search for infractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGillotine View Post
The "naive nonsense joke" interpretation would be like if a black AO user posted a picture of a middle aged white guy and I responded with "wow, is that your interracial baby?"
This.

The most generous interpretation possible would make it unbelievably stupid and *still* fairly racist. A more reasonable interpretation slides it to even more racist.

Who says "is that your interracial baby" even if they *are* talking about a person's actual interracial baby?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:47 AM
SOA

Studying for Done with exams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I'm guessing he has more points for insulting than racism, but he has both. As PP mentioned, we don't have an easy way to search for infractions.

This.

The most generous interpretation possible would make it unbelievably stupid and *still* fairly racist. A more reasonable interpretation slides it to even more racist.

Who says "is that your interracial baby" even if they *are* talking about a person's actual interracial baby?
Out of curiosity, do you find the word "interracial" offensive?

If I remember correctly, you mentioned that you are a white person married to a black person, what do you think is the best way to describe this kind of marriage and/or the children as a result of such marriage?

I agree that I often hear people say "mixed babies are so cute", but I rarely hear people say "interracial babies are so cute", but I think that is just the result of people using simpler/informal words when they talk.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:48 AM
CAS

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you mentioned that you are a white person married to a black person, what do you think is the best way to describe this kind of marriage and/or the children as a result of such marriage?

I agree that I often hear people say "mixed babies are so cute", but I rarely hear people say "interracial babies are so cute", but I think that is just the result of people using simpler/informal words when they talk.
what the **** is wrong with you
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaz wit Attitude View Post
Force of habit, 2pac's been typing "88" a LOT since Trump got elected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:

The correct way to refer to it is a marriage. The children are best described as children.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:49 AM
SOA

PM's loyalty is wasted on a friend that makes jokes comparing black people and gorillas.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:51 AM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieSanders2016 View Post
PM's loyalty is wasted on a friend that makes jokes comparing black people and gorillas.
Wasted is the incorrect term. Given itís clear PM wants the board to be more accommodating to racists, the loyalty makes sense to me.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:52 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
Wasted is the incorrect term. Given itís clear PM wants the board to be more accommodating to racists, the loyalty makes sense to me.
So he's loyal to the cause of acceptable racism, not loyal to bigb? Interesting take.