Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Finance - Investments Sub-forum: Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 AM
louislobas louislobas is offline
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
College: Fifth year actuary studies
Posts: 4
Default Help - Calibrate Hull & White model

Hello,

I'm an actuary student currently doing an internship in a bank. My task is to create a credit risk model and in order to simulate interest rates I need to use the Hull & White and Vasicek models.

However I'm struggling to calibrate my rates.

I started by doing in interpolation by cubic splines to my rates to get an expression of the instantaneous forward rate (f(0,t)) and thus the short rate (r(0)).

For the Vacisek model, i calibrated the parameters on the bond prices which gave me satisfying results.

As for the H&W model, it follow automatically the current bond prices so I have to calibrate it on either caps or swaptions but i really know which derivates to take (in term ok stiker and maturity).

Could someone be friendly enough to guide me and help me to understand?

Thanxfully
Me
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-10-2017, 11:33 AM
JMO's Avatar
JMO JMO is offline
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Back home again in Indiana
Studying for Nothing actuarial.
Posts: 37,660
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louislobas View Post
Hello,

I'm an actuary student currently doing an internship in a bank. My task is to create a credit risk model and in order to simulate interest rates I need to use the Hull & White and Vasicek models.

However I'm struggling to calibrate my rates.

I started by doing in interpolation by cubic splines to my rates to get an expression of the instantaneous forward rate (f(0,t)) and thus the short rate (r(0)).

For the Vacisek model, i calibrated the parameters on the bond prices which gave me satisfying results.

As for the H&W model, it follow automatically the current bond prices so I have to calibrate it on either caps or swaptions but i really know which derivates to take (in term ok stiker and maturity).

Could someone be friendly enough to guide me and help me to understand?

Thanxfully
Me
Have you asked your manager? Do that first.

Also, this probably should be in the Finance/Investments area. As the person who created the thread, you can move it there. Use Thread Tools, Move or Copy.
__________________
Carol Marler, "Just My Opinion"

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.


My latest favorite quotes, updated Nov. 20, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Actuario View Post
Therapists should ask the right questions, not give the right answers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:13 PM
louislobas louislobas is offline
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
College: Fifth year actuary studies
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
Have you asked your manager? Do that first.

Also, this probably should be in the Finance/Investments area. As the person who created the thread, you can move it there. Use Thread Tools, Move or Copy.
I did, but he didn't know. I also asked my professors but since the university is being restored, they're all on vacations.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM
Hydraskull's Avatar
Hydraskull Hydraskull is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Svalbard
Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin
Posts: 6,416
Default

I can provide some limited guidance. Which instrument to use for calibration will depend on the intended use of your model.

What are you trying to price? You are using the model to price something, and you want your estimated price to be as close to what the market would estimate the price at, if your instrument was traded openly on the market.

So, for calibration, you want to use the instruments that most closely resemble the instrument you are pricing. Then your model is basically a tool for interpolating between market quotes. Or extrapolating.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
Only Hydraskull knows what he's talking about.
Retracted below.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 AM
louislobas louislobas is offline
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
College: Fifth year actuary studies
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks

I want to things:
The first one is to calibrate the model on my discount rate in order to estimate its value in future dates.

The second is to calibrate the model on any other rate (from its market price) to get the parameters and run simulations of the value of that rate but i don't want to price it directly.
I read that to do so I need the swaption or the caps prices but I don't really understand th process.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2017, 09:05 AM
Hydraskull's Avatar
Hydraskull Hydraskull is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Svalbard
Studying for life
Favorite beer: Six Point Resin
Posts: 6,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by louislobas View Post
Thanks

I want to things:
The first one is to calibrate the model on my discount rate in order to estimate its value in future dates.

The second is to calibrate the model on any other rate (from its market price) to get the parameters and run simulations of the value of that rate but i don't want to price it directly.
I read that to do so I need the swaption or the caps prices but I don't really understand th process.
If this is a credit risk model, the choice of swaptions vs caps for calibration of the risk-free rate process should be a minor detail. Either one should be fine.

The bigger question is how are you modeling credit spreads and defaults?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraham Weishaus View Post
Only Hydraskull knows what he's talking about.
Retracted below.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2017, 04:46 AM
louislobas louislobas is offline
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
College: Fifth year actuary studies
Posts: 4
Default

I use the CIR model, calibrated from the CDS spreads to retrieve hazard rates.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hull white model

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.21842 seconds with 9 queries