Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
I've thought about the "attack from outside" argument a bit, and I'm inclined to give the board / CAS leadership the benefit of the doubt and attribute this to poor framing of the point.

Right now there may be an inclination to say "lets go hire some data scientists to help us with our work", where we really ought to be saying "lets go hire more actuaries who have DS skills". To make that happen, we may need to adjust actuarial education to encompass the shift in skill sets needed.

I think there's also a little bit of a desire to have actuaries be the risk-quantification experts even beyond insurance, and that potential faces increasing challenges in a big-data world. Perhaps that's a front that the powers that be see worth fighting on, but I think we perhaps have our hands full just in the realm of insurance.
The first company I worked at had most of its reserving done by accountants and actuaries focused on pricing. One of its principal competitors used MBAs and statisticians (the data scientists of that day) to do pricing, and actuaries to do reserving. There are very few functions that *require* actuaries. There are many more actuaries employed because we keep our education fresh. At the same time, in a modern company, there will *always* be a need for a diversity of perspectives, and that means most teams doing analytics need at least some non-actuaries. The proportion of actuaries will be determined by the relevance of what they learn, but this isn't a battle with data scientists or with anyone else. The mission of the CAS is to prepare individuals for careers in quantitative risk analysis. Whether those individuals self-identify as actuaries or not. At the end of the day, a company is successful because it had employees with the right skills. It doesn't matter what labels they wear.

So I think the "attack from the outside" comment is way off base. It's horrible framing, and framing is important.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miccolis View Post
Here are some of my notes from today's session that was broadcast 10am ET.

Predictive analytics - SOA certificate course still selling out - addresses specific needs of SOA members - may or may not offer outside of SOA members - SOA does not seem all that interested in iCAS approach
That's weird, since their leadership evinced quite an interest in iCAS in discussions at the CAS leadership meeting a few weeks ago. Do you think that was for show or that they have changed their minds?

Quote:
I believe that the 2 organizations can and will continue to grow and succeed, just on somewhat different parallel paths. Isn't there an analogy here to the paths of similar countries, industries, companies, cultures, civilizations, religions, etc.?
I have trouble thinking of any other sphere where there is just one organization. Mathematics has the MAA and AMS. Statistics has the ASA and the IMS. Computing has ACM and IEEE. Even the game of bridge has the ACBL, ABA, and USBF. Heck, even the Franciscan friars have OFM, OFM Conv, and OFM Cap. And the Catholics and Eastern Orthodox haven't figured out how to recombine despite their theologians now realizing that the whole filioque dispute was due to a translation difficulty between Greek and Latin rather than to any underlying theological disagreement.

Quote:
We all should encourage our leaders to do more supporting and sharing of learning experiences, knowledge, experimentation, research, etc. to benefit the whole profession worldwide.
This!
Old 11-13-2018, 09:42 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Isn't there an analogy here to the paths of similar countries, industries, companies, cultures, civilizations, religions, etc.?
I thought there was supposed to be an analogy here to the paths of sports leagues!
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM
CAS

The AAA has posted on their website that individuals posting notes online from open actuarial meetings are engaging in “misconduct”.

Maphisto’s Sidekick, PP, Bob—get ready for an ABCD investigation!

Spoiler:
tongue-in-cheek, of course, but let’s not forget about other wacky goings-on in actuarial leadership
Old 11-14-2018, 07:01 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |B|rad View Post
The AAA has posted on their website that individuals posting notes online from open actuarial meetings are engaging in “misconduct”.

Maphisto’s Sidekick, PP, Bob—get ready for an ABCD investigation!

Spoiler:
tongue-in-cheek, of course, but let’s not forget about other wacky goings-on in actuarial leadership
I'm not a member - does that mean it won't matter if I "misconduct" myself?

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:31 PM
CAS CCA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by |B|rad View Post
Not quite what the AAA posted - which was having to do with "guests" who request to attend ASB meetings in person -
Quote:
To protect the essential ability (of the ASB) to have confidential and candid deliberations, chairpersons have reasonable discretion in their consideration of potential guests. For example, they may consider whether the guest has a conflict of interest or may be seeking inside information, whether the guest has a prior history of disruption or other misconduct (such as publishing notes from the meeting online)
You are reading way too much into the AAA posting. The ability for the ASB to function as intended is important for profession. Some may not agree with their procedures involving such "discretion" regarding attending ASB Board meetings. IMO they have a valid and thorough process for developing and maintaining US ASOPs. Nonetheless, there are AAA/ASB provisions in place for objecting and/or deviating from an ASOP. The issue seems to be around disrupting an ASB Board meeting or posting negative comments online about such meetings with the apparent intent to disrupt the ASB process (yes ASB Board meetings are open to "guests" - but with permission).

I am not fully up to speed about the particular details surrounding this AAA post, but I think there is a different AO thread discussing that issue.

Misconduct might be a rather strong description to associate with posting negative online comments. Unless, of course, such comments are unprofessional and completely unjustified. There can be many different opinions on many issues, of course.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:02 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Misconduct might be a rather strong description to associate with posting negative online comments. Unless, of course, such comments are unprofessional and completely unjustified. There can be many different opinions on many issues, of course.
I'm not at all concerned about relaying notes / live-blogging open meetings, although in my efforts I've made a conscious effort to try to be objective in my transcriptions/write-up...or at least being very clear when I'm injecting my opinion.

That being said, I know that in life there are people who take extreme offense at encountering opposition and have a broader interpretation of what might constitute appropriate response to opposition that I do. That's why I prefer to remain pseudonymous here (although people who know me have probably made the connection), and I'm a bit more reserved in person than here on controversial topics.

I don't have too many worries about the AAA/ABCD. To the extent I have any, my AO activity is the least among them.