Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 12-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Default 2020 District 4 MSC

The January problem, deadline Dec 20.
Quote:
Matchpoints, none vulnerable
S-J54 H-KQJ10873 D-K10 C-J

1A. What is your call in first seat?

1B. What is your call in fourth seat, after three passes?
For 1A, rule of 2 and 3 would be 4H, and I think that's best. Second choice 3H. A few might open 1H (I would if hearts were AQJ instead of KQJ), but not for me with so little defense.

For 1B, it's tougher since I could pass the hand out, so partner will expect a decent hand if I open. 4H is too much. Even 3H may be too much. My initial thoughts are 2H is best, 3H is second best, pass is 3rd. Still not going to open 1H.

Help me with your thoughts.
Old 12-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My answers
Quote:
1A Four hearts
When in doubt in first seat, more is better with preempts.
1B Two hearts
Much tougher problem, since I can guarantee not going negative by passing it out. I have slightly more offense than partner will expect for two hearts, but not as much offense as he would expect for a fourth seat 3H. Less defense than he would expect for either, but I can't see passing with this much offense.
On the bright side, they drop the lowest two scores, so even if I've butchered this one I can recover.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:48 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

I would open 3H in both 1st and 4th seat. I like my hand - it's okay to have a maximum once in awhile.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:20 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
I would open 3H in both 1st and 4th seat. I like my hand - it's okay to have a maximum once in awhile.
Better than my result. Part A (first seat): 1H 50; 3H, 40; 4H, 30; P & 2H, 20
Part B (fourth seat): 2H & 3H. 50; 1H, 40; P, 30; 4H, 20

Iíll post the February problem next week.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Didn't quite get the February problem posted "next week" and now my answer is due Monday.

Matchpoints, both vulnerable
S-A108 H-84 D-AKJ C-KQJ109
Code:
South  West   North  East
              Pass   Pass
1♣     Pass   3♣*    Pass
?			
* - Inverted (Preemptive)
1A. What is your call?

1B. If the form of scoring were IMPs, what is your call?
I like 3NT for both. Possibly pass at matchpoints, but 3NT might be very likely to make, and even if it is under 50% you might not get the best lead. You'll surely have company.

At imps, 3NT may be more likely to make than 5C, and we still don't won't to help them lead, so 3NT right away.

Thoughts, please.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:31 AM

I object to the description of 3C. There are versions of inverted where the response is supposed to be 1NT if 3NT is likely opposite this hand, and there are versions where you would bid 3C with such a hand (and pass the yarborough). Which are we playing?

Let's assume the latter, since we are vulnerable. It seems this should play from partner's side, so 3NT is anti-positional. Also, I am not driving to 5C if partner doesn't bid 3NT. 4C is very probably the limit. So I will bid 3D, planning to bid 3S over 3H, 4C over 3S, and to pass 3NT or 4C.
Old 01-19-2020, 04:08 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thing I asked for help, I suspect. I did take VVV's suggestion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Answer
1A Three diamonds
3NT is the most likely game, if we have one. Somewhat tempting to just bid it and make them find the lead, but it's likely better from his side, so I'll show the diamond stop and see if he can stop hearts. I'll assume that if I bid 3D, he bids 3H, 3S by me is just right-siding the contract rather than asking if he can also stop spades.
1B Three diamonds
Same. Don't really see the difference. Yes, we're more anxious to bid a game at imps, but if partner cannot show a heart stop it's not worth bidding one on the hope they don't find the heart lead (or that they do, and hearts are 4-4.) A bash of 3NT also gets in played from my side, likely not best.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:59 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Yes, good comment from vvv. I like 3D at both forms of scoring, unless partner has shown, say, 0-4 hcp!
Old 01-21-2020, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbers Nerd View Post
Yes, good comment from vvv. I like 3D at both forms of scoring, unless partner has shown, say, 0-4 hcp!
I would normally assume 3C promises something unless opener was also dealer and non-vul. In that case it really can be important to bid 3C on complete air, and 1NT (or 1D or a slightly lightweight 2C) are often possible with 6+-7 HCP. With diamonds I much prefer for 1D-3C to show a 6+-8- HCP raise and for 1D-3D to be limited to 6 HCP. But then I'm not an intermediate jump shift supporter. My second choice for 3C would be totally solid clubs in a strong hand, but I think if you have sophisticated methods over 1D neither of those is needed.

I don't like using 1C-2D in this way partly because 2D isn't preemptive enough and partly because it's too useful as a strong bid. Also, 1C-3C is kind of rare anyway because it absolutely required five-card support, whereas jump-raising diamonds only requires four-card support and so should be more frequent, and thus more worth splitting into two bids.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:07 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alas, VVV's comments did me no good, even though I do agree with them.

At matchpoints, Pass earned 50, 3D and 3N both 40 (3N had more panelist votes; 3D had more solver votes). The combination on 3D and 3N panelist votes than P; among solvers P had slightly more).

At imps, 3D and 3N each got 50; P got 40. 3D and 3N individually each had more panelist votes than P; at among solvers, 12 each for P and 3N; 10 for 3D.

Not looking good. We get to drop 2 months, but I have 2 below 100 in the first 2 months.