Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 10-07-2019, 09:55 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrastinator View Post
Huh, played the challenge against Steve, no results came up, and challenge went away. Hope you dont see the results either: my worst set since we started. One were Iwent down in a game for no reason, and one where i bid without checking the meaning and the robot thought it meant something I did not intend.
I can see them, and you can probably see them if you look at recent tournaments in your history. I win 23-16. I won imps only on that game you went down on and when I held S-KQxxxxx. H-10x. D-Jx C-Qx at none vul and the auction started 1D (by LHO) - 2H - 3C and I Bid 3S before reading notes showing it as 1- H, 4+ S (really could be only 4 spades?, 21+ points) CHO bot converted to 4H (crazy with QJ98xx of hearts and AJ tight of spades). I passed, and with a fairly clear double LHO bid 5C, doubled by partner, butchered by declarer for down 1. It would also be down 1 on normal play but he took a terrible line when a slight variation on his line - clearly superior to his line - would have worked.
Whatever bid you made that the bot interpreted differently, you didnít lose imps. Probably board 4, where bot bid Blackwood over your 4S, which you passed for down 1. spades were 5-1, so our 4-spade contract was down 2. Probably I could hold it to down 1 if I knew I would be happy with 9 tricks, but normal play in 4 spades does not go well.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:30 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Probably board 4, where bot bid Blackwood over your 4S, which you passed for down 1. spades were 5-1, so our 4-spade contract was down 2. Probably I could hold it to down 1 if I knew I would be happy with 9 tricks, but normal play in 4 spades does not go well.
Interesting. I still don't see any way to make 9 tricks in spades, but your Blackwood contract was cold, double dummy, and would have made had you decided the bot had opened 1H (it was 3rd seat, favorable) on S-x H-AKxxxx D-Kxxx C-xx, but you quite reasonably played him for x AKxxxx Kxx Qxx (or Jxx).

As the cards lie, you also could have made it (after only one spade) but running the club 10 from your hand, unlikely to help but no risk, and paying off here.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:03 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Provisionally -3 imps in the group challenge after 3 players. Two (at least) were silly. One where I knew exactly what I wanted to do, just forgot to do it. An easy overtrick away. Another where I was confused by a play by CHO, but should have worked it out. An overtrick to declarer. No, I just remembered another hand I misdefended, but don't remember which board so I don't know the provisional result. Can't blame that one on CHO.

Or maybe that was against Klaymen or procrastinator in a 2-way. I've also finished those.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:24 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+3 in the two-way vs Runewell. 18 imps changed hands on the first 2 boards, mainly a matter of luck. Board 1 get a heart lead vs 3NT with diamonds wide open. Clea. rly we need a spade trick, but they have the ace. I elected to win the heart and dummy and play to my hand. Klaymen won in his hand and led toward dummy. Since RHO had the ace, I made and he was down. Board 2 we're in 1NT doubled. Only one dummy entry, two possible finesses. He tried clubs, winning, down 1. I tried spades, losing, down 2.

Board 11 was of some interest, and the 5 imps I won were more than my overall margin of victory. CHO opened 1D at both tables At his table, CHO ended up playing 2D (after rebidding diamonds), making. At my table, LHO ended up playing 2D X down only 2 after unfortunate defense (but not clearly wrong defense) by CHO. Had he played me for the heart Q instead of the spade K, it would have been down at least 4 and conceivably 5.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:20 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. -9 in the 2-way vs procrastinator. Lost 12 when I held S-Q52 H-KJ4 D-AQ976 C-92 at favorable, and RHO opens 1C in second seat. If you double (as I did) you think you are happy when the opponents play 3S, with 4 spades needing only spades 3-2, which they are. No, you lose 12 imps. If you overcall, LHO passes, CHO jumps to 4D, RHO doubles (questionable), LHO bids 4H and they play in their 4-2 fit, Q8 opposite 6532.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:15 PM

College: third time is a charm
Favorite beer: Dogfish

There was a very similar hand on a bridge discussion group years ago. I said I would double, but the experts said bidding 1D was better. With partner as a passed hand, you are unlikely to have game, and you are both more likely to able to compete effectively (as here) with 1D, and you get the lead direction in.

The set had been going well, until the last two boards. On 15, I lost a mid-size swing against you from doing similar to what you describe in a different match: I had figured out the hand, and knew what to do, but then got distracted and played things in the wrong order (declaring 1NT with Axx Qtxx Tx KQJx).

Board 16, let them make a game when we had 6 tricks off the top. Was not clear defense though, and guessing you duplicated it, since there was no swing.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
There was a very similar hand on a bridge discussion group years ago. I said I would double, but the experts said bidding 1D was better. With partner as a passed hand, you are unlikely to have game, and you are both more likely to able to compete effectively (as here) with 1D, and you get the lead direction in.
Maybe I'll create a poll on bridgewinners (not nearly as good a source as MSC but within my control to get the question asked). One comment about the actual hand, which did not influence my choice: as far as I can tell, "lead direction" with a bots is an oxymoron. They often do not lead my suits.

Quote:
The set had been going well, until the last two boards. On 15, I lost a mid-size swing against you from doing similar to what you describe in a different match: I had figured out the hand, and knew what to do, but then got distracted and played things in the wrong order (declaring 1NT with Axx Qtxx Tx KQJx).

Board 16, let them make a game when we had 6 tricks off the top. Was not clear defense though, and guessing you duplicated it, since there was no swing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
No, I just remembered another hand I misdefended, but don't remember which board so I don't know the provisional result. Can't blame that one on CHO.

Or maybe that was against Klaymen or procrastinator in a 2-way. I've also finished those.
That was board 16, and yes, the same. Correct defense not obvious, but probably better than what we did.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:39 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very strange. I think I posted the bidding poll on bridgewinners, but I don't see it there. I even tried to post it again, and they said I couldn't (yet) since I had posted something within the past __ minutes (17?). Try later.

Anyway, from past experience I know that if it really is posted and in a right location, I'll get e-mail notification any time anyone responds, more e-mails than I want!
Old 10-09-2019, 02:02 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK, after some back and forth with bridgewinners support, I found out where my poll is https://bridgewinners.com/article/vi...-2-6i360zfhw3/ So far 7 votes for 1D, 5 for double. Good news (?) is that because I posted it as a bidding poll, not an article, I am not getting any e-mail notifications. Bad news is that so far all I have is votes, not comments. Had it been an article, comments would be more likely.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:24 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aargh! I may have just had my worst round ever against Klaymen. Some terrible plays, mostly just costing extra overtricks or undertricks. One poor bidding decision in a game vs part score auction. Then to top it off, a misclick leading to a contract down 6. I wasn't even contemplating that bid, just trying to find out the meaning of various bids (not including that one) but selected it. (The previous bid I checked on was that number of tricks, the bid I "chose" was the denomination I was now interested in checking, even though I thought it extremely unlikely to have a meaning I could use.

I even "survived" one absolutely horrible defense by CHO which should have cost an overtrick, with 0 risk to declarer by playing for the overtrick, but declarer handed it back.