Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 09-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK I finished losing to Klaymen, and have issued the new 5-way challenge.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:sigh: Two absolutely horrible plays, and another unfortunate play decision where I still am wondering whether the play was best but unlucky, reasonable but unlucky, or just wrong. Probably some other bad things I just don't remember.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 AM
CAS

finished, provisionally +6
Old 09-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. Just lost a robot challenge, badly.

Odd. My impression is that bots don't signal and ignore signals. Is that what you think?
I lost a game swing due to a hopeless play by the bot at the other table. I was doomed by my RHO bot's play at trick 3. Same auction, same play to trick 1 at both tables. I held S-9843 H-Q842 D-10742 C-8.

LHO CHO RHO Me
1D 2C P P
2N 3C 4S All pass

Dummy, not that it matters much: S-Ax H-A9 D-KJ9xx C-AQxx

Both tables my hand led the stiff club, naturally
Both declarer bots won the A in dummy a played a diamond to the Q, partner having played the 9.
What should I play, with only bots in the other seats?
I did play the 2. Bot with my cards at the other table played the 7.

Bot at my table now played a small spade to the ace, dropping partner's stiff K.

Bot at other table now played a diamond to the king and ace. Partner played a club, and the hand could no longer be made.

I don't think the diamond 2 was that bad a play.

Then this was a push, with this bizarre call by CHO at both tables

Me LHO CHO RHO
P P 1D 1H
Dbl 1NT 2D

Why on earth would he freely rebid 2D on S- H-AKJ D-96xxx C-QJ987?

2C probably best, but pass also fine, maybe better. But 2D????? sick

Finally, I was the first to depart from the auction at the other table on this hand. Did I make a serious error, and if so when?

My hand S-A1086 H-x D-A108xx C-QJx

Me LHO CHO RHO
1D 2D* 2H** P *Michaels ** Limit raise or better in diamonds
3D 3H*** Dbl# 4C *** 3-C; 3-D; 6+H; 5+S; 15+ total points
Dbl 4S P P # 4+D; 10+ HCP; biddable hearts
Dbl (All pass)
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Ouch. Just lost a robot challenge, badly.

Odd. My impression is that bots don't signal and ignore signals. Is that what you think?
I definitely recommend reading about the Robot's defensive methods, which are shown in Help / GIB System Notes. Apparently bots give attitude (not count) to partner's opening lead. It also purportedly gives standard count signals when following suit. It ignores all signals by you - rather it simulates and chooses based on probability.

I just reread these notes, and am going to start noticing the bots signals!
Old 09-12-2019, 04:58 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. Wonder if that means that with a doubleton in a suit contract, he will play high-low on my lead to try to get a ruff, or if attitude is only high-card attitude. What I primarily meant though was accurate: that as my partner he will ignore my signals.

The particular application to this hand remains uncertain. Tricks 1 and 2 (except my play to 2) were the same at both tables. Yet RHO bot played differently to trick 3. Does that mean they each simulated, but with different results, and would the spot cards from my hand to trick 2 be significant for the simulation?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Proof (not that we needed it) that the bots purely rely on simulation.

I had a 2 card ending, CHO leads a heart. Spades are trump. RHO has a spade and a diamond. LHO has a spade and a heart (higher than the one led, but not the highest heart). We have no spades. With 100% certainty, bot can make the last two tricks by ruffing separately. Instead, bot let it ride to his heart (successfully).
Old 09-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Klaymen wins 3-way challenge 2. New challenge is posted.

How to drill down into history to see how play went (based on a match in early may.)

You can find the match in your History tab. On the History tab, at the top choose "Recent tournaments". You'll get a picture like the leftmost one below. You'll see a row for Group Challenge, and you'll see your result (for me, it was an average of -1.25 per opponent, for a rank of 3rd.)

If you click on that row, you get to the middle screen, which shows all the boards. (Only 10-16 are in my screen shot, but in BBO you could scroll up to see earlier ones). It shows your result hand by hand. For example, on board 16 I lost 6 imps per opponent, on average, and for the total match I won 17 imps per opponent on boards where I was better on average and lost 18 per opponent on boards where I was below average. (These results are rounded to integers, hence my +17-18=-1, corresponding to -1.25 on the previous screen.) Board 13 for me was -- in We and They, meaning on average I neither won nor lost imps, but it does not mean that everyone was exactly +600. (And t could mean that my net total for the board was 1 imp or maybe 2, but not 3, since it rounds to 0 per opponent.)

You'll note there is a blue "Results" button on that screen. If you click it, you see how everyone did, in total, as shown in the 3rd picture. Mark Dean won by a lot, averaging beating the other 4 by 25 imps. (You could, on that screen, click on "Show boards to see your unrounded result on each board, or click on any player's score like oirg's 9.25 to see how that player did, unrounded on each board. And if you do that, you can click on the "movie" by any board to see how the bidding and play went. But I didn't take a screen shot of doing that, since it is largely like what I'll describe next, reached a different way.)

Going back to the second screen shot, instead of clicking on "Results", you can click on any board. The fourth picture is clicking on board 1 (after scrolling up so that you can see a row for board 1)*, then clicking on "Other tables" in the bottom right. You'll see all 5 results on the board. If you click on any result row, the picture at the bottom is the "movie" for that result. Clicking the 4th row brings up the row for 3NT making 3, and you'll see that the human at that table was mgiampa. The auction is now in the middle of the table, and if you click on the "next trick" button (repeatedly), you see the play, trick by trick.

*If you only want to be reminded what happened at your table, the movie for your table is at the bottom of the screen as soon as you chose board 1 (before clicking on Other Tables to see all 5 results.)
Attached Images

Last edited by Steve White; 05-08-2020 at 08:43 PM..
Old 09-13-2019, 09:38 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Done. Provisionally +4.5 imps. One horrendous defense cost a game. One reasonable IRL bid where I forgot to check how bot would interpret it cost 6 imps.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:17 PM

Hopefully I won't be a bottom dweller again.