Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 PM

College: third time is a charm
Favorite beer: Dogfish

I think 3 spades is clear on the first hand. The way I think about it is that we are in game either way if pd is max, would I bid game opposite a known min? Construct a few hands, and it seemed unlikely to me that we would miss a 50%+ game. Especially with such bad spade spots. Another bonus to bidding 3 spades is that it keeps the 3nt option open.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
:sigh: another loss, by 9, to procrastinator. Somewhat deserved, though nothing clearly inferior.

S-AQ6532 H-J54 D-KJ C-76 None vul, imps. Opps silent, the auction has been
1D (partner) - 1S - 1NT - ? Do you prefer 3S, 4S or something else?

S-J10832 H-Q6 D-Q10 C-KQ109 third seat favorable. Two passes to you.

Do you open, and if so what?

If you pass, LHO Bot opens 2H in fourth seat (6+ hearts, 9-12 HCP), followed by two passes.

Do you reopen, and if so what?

Other than those two boards, no other board swung more than 3 imps, and I would have been up slightly. But I lost on both those, still not convinced my choice was inferior. (on one I now think it was inferior, but reasonable)

New 2-way challenge issued. Sooner or later I will win one, or he will get bored and stop playing. (also one issued to Klaymen, to whom I lost the most recent challenge, but at least overall I'm doing ok, rather than losing every time.)
On the first hand, 3S looks like the bid that best describes the hand. On the second hand, id open 2S w/o batting an eye.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:26 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oirg View Post
On the first hand, 3S looks like the bid that best describes the hand. On the second hand, id open 2S w/o batting an eye.
Yes, I concluded after the fact, before seeing any of the comments here, that 4S was inferior to 3S. Not a terrible choice, tho, IMO.

On the second, 2S to me looks much more like a matchpoint call than an imp call. It wouldn't have worked any better than pass then balance (I think). Expecting a 6 card spade suit, CHO surely would have bid 4S.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally a 9-imp win against procrastinator, thanks to an absolutely horrible defense by LHO bot. But it was necessary that I take into account how absolutely horribly they sometimes lead and defend, because the contract was still in jeopardy after the terrible lead, and I found a way to get more misdefense.

Without that board, I lose, but lose only because of a stupid misclick against a partial.

Meanwhile I lose again to Klaymen. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Steve White; 10-03-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Old 10-03-2019, 06:52 AM
CAS

Quote:
Yes, I concluded after the fact, before seeing any of the comments here, that 4S was inferior to 3S. Not a terrible choice, tho, IMO.

On the second, 2S to me looks much more like a matchpoint call than an imp call. It wouldn't have worked any better than pass then balance (I think). Expecting a 6 card spade suit, CHO surely would have bid 4S.
P robot originally passed, so I wouldn't have expected to be raised to 4 after opening with a weak 2 bid in a constructive auction.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:13 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oirg View Post
P robot originally passed, so I wouldn't have expected to be raised to 4 after opening with a weak 2 bid in a constructive auction.
Bots do strange things. The system description of 2S in 3rd seat is the same as in 2nd (and I suspect in first, but didn't check)
Quote:
1-4 C, 1-3 D, 1-3 D, 6+ S, 10- HCP, 7+ total points
Why it thinks 4 clubs but not 4 of either red suit is OK, and I'm pretty sure I have seen in make weak 2's with 4 in a red suit. In any case, opposite a (supposedly) known 6-card suit and less than an opening bid at favorable, his S-KQxx H-Kxx D-J987x C-x sure looks like a 4S bid to me.

Meanwhile, the description of my balancing 2S was
Quote:
Overcall - 5+ S, 11- HCP, 12 total points.
By that definition the 2S was a slight overbid, but still CHO's 4S seems like too much (even though it did match the system description)
Quote:
3+ S, 11- HCP, 11-12 total points.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meanwhile, procrastinator squeaks out another multiway win. Close, since his winning score was only +6.99. Time expired before Been There Done That finished (perhaps before he started, since we have only 4 scores on board 1, but I don't know whether a competitor's results of some but all boards would get included in official results. They are included in provisional results, but there the expectation is that he will finish.)

New 5-way challenge issued. He is beatable. I proved it in one 2-way challenge. Even if I more proved that even he can't always overcome awful bot defense.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
New 5-way challenge issued.
Numbers Nerd just told me he rejected the challenge by mistake. I was able to cancel it and reissue the challenge.

If anyone else had started it, sorry. I can't tell who has accepted, and I presumed I could not cancel it if it was in progress. (Actually I have on occasions seen it flash on my bridgebase screen if someone accepts, but the message doesn't stay there, so I almost never know what's going on. No need for anyone to comment that from my results it is obvious I almost never know what's going on at my own table.)

Last edited by Steve White; 10-03-2019 at 12:34 PM..
Old 10-03-2019, 12:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Meanwhile I lose again to Klaymen. Maybe tomorrow.
Most of that loss was on this one board.

AJ96
A98
KT74
KQ

KQ432
J42
-
A7432

1NT
3 (superaccept w/doubleton club)
3 (retransfer)
3 (forced)

My hand has a lot of playing potential, so I bid 4 and the bot responded 4 which was good news so after finding two key cards I bid the slam.

On a diamond lead i chose to pitch a heart so that the king of diamonds would be good for dumping the other one. When I went to play on trumps they were 4-0 and ruffing out a club was going to make for difficult transporatation (not sure I started out in the best way) so at that point it looked like I was going to have to unblock the KQ, run off the trump, and hope the clubs were 3-3 in the end which they were, win 12.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lost another 2-way to procrastinator (by 13). Alas, not only did I not get sufficient gifts from bot defenders, I helped them with some poor declarer play.

Halfway through a 2-way vs Klaymen. At least I'm playing better than in the match against procrastinator, and have not paid for some less than optimal choices.