Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM
SOA

Man, sorry you're going through that frustration with the Yamaha.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:09 PM
SOA

My son went back to college, and took his mattress foam topper with him. So I've lost my acoustic treatment!

Seriously, though, it made a big difference. My stereo imaging is pretty crappy now, and the soundstage got a good bit narrower. It drives me crazy enough that I'm enjoying my Klipsch ProMedia computer speakers more. Yeah, their sound quality isn't as good, but they still shock me how good they sound for the money. And the stereo imaging is considerably better.

Two and a half more months until I get a legit sound treatment for my birthday...
Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Well, I got the new sub up and running. Pics below, I stole them off the internet, but that's the driver I have. It's an Aurasound NS18. You can do sealed or vented enclosures for these. I bought a used JBL pro box to use, and it was way easier to just do sealed, so here I am. Over the weekend I retro-fitted a new baffle. It's 8 cubic feet and weighs something like 125lb, so it's kind of big - it's about 3' tall but only about 18" deep, so it goes nicely against a wall.

I got to spend a bit of time listening to it last night. It's definitely very, very musical, and that was the primary goal. It will need a bit of EQ, right now it only plays to about 30Hz. But it sounds fantastic, and continues to sound fantastic at high volumes. And that's why I wanted it, it's extremely linear at higher SPLs, it just never sounds like it's running out of steam. It's going to be fun to play with. For the short term, this is going to be the third sub in my big setup. The JTR is the big dog driving SPL. The Seaton Submersive is sub number two, flattening response and delivering quite a bit of SPL. This one will just be there to get the response even flatter and will be down about 6-10dB in level. Yes, this is my small sub.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:16 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
My son went back to college, and took his mattress foam topper with him. So I've lost my acoustic treatment!

Seriously, though, it made a big difference. My stereo imaging is pretty crappy now, and the soundstage got a good bit narrower. It drives me crazy enough that I'm enjoying my Klipsch ProMedia computer speakers more. Yeah, their sound quality isn't as good, but they still shock me how good they sound for the money. And the stereo imaging is considerably better.

Two and a half more months until I get a legit sound treatment for my birthday...
You might be able to toe the speakers in more to avoid the reflections, if you haven't tried that already. I'm still waiting on my Yamaha receiver to be repaired, and then I'm going to play around with room treatments. At first, just couch cushions on the walls. I'd like to try a diffuser on the back wall, I wonder if there's some way to make a crappy DIY diffuser in an hour just to experiment with. I've got a bunch of plywood and a table saw, so worst case I spend an afternoon making one, but I wonder if I can mock up something even faster with duct tape!
Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
You might be able to toe the speakers in more to avoid the reflections, if you haven't tried that already.
Yeah, that definitely helps with early reflections. But it also narrows the heck out of the soundstage. I'm a huge fan of soundstage, especially for classical music. One thing I've found that helps is to sit on the floor. Not the most comfortable, but it does sound better.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:44 AM
SOA

Quote:
You might be able to toe the speakers in more to avoid the reflections, if you haven't tried that already.
I thought about this some more and tried something: I toed in the right speaker that has been giving me the soundstage issues, and then toed OUT the left speaker. That was a pretty decent improvement in evenness of soundstage, though I'm not getting the cool super-wide soundstage on the left that I used to. Still, it's more tolerable than what it was. I'll probably play around with it a bit, but otherwise this will be my setup until the sound treatment comes.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 08-31-2017, 01:17 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
I thought about this some more and tried something: I toed in the right speaker that has been giving me the soundstage issues, and then toed OUT the left speaker. That was a pretty decent improvement in evenness of soundstage, though I'm not getting the cool super-wide soundstage on the left that I used to. Still, it's more tolerable than what it was. I'll probably play around with it a bit, but otherwise this will be my setup until the sound treatment comes.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Excellent. I wouldn't have thought to try that. Sometimes playing around is really worthwhile. Fiddle around a bit more and see what you get, and then in a couple of months you can try the GIK solution perhaps.

Speaking of fiddling, I've been interested in tapped horns for a bit. I will admit that I don't fully understand the theory, and I wonder if slapping one together might be fun. People seem to really like the Exodus Anarchy 6.5" woofer in such an enclosure. And just by sheer luck, I happened to google it today, and after 3-4 years out of production, it's back! Links below to buy the driver for $66, and a thread about building one. Not a super-big or complicated thing to build, and I have plywood on hand. Thinking about pulling the trigger. It's supposed to sound really good and do about 105dB from 25-80Hz. 105dB @25Hz is insane for a 6.5". I'm sure that I've spent more money in stupider ways!

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/anarchy...rchy-4ohm.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...topics/1238398
Old 08-31-2017, 07:12 PM
SOA AAA

I ordered a pair of the Anarchy 6.5" woofers. Now I need to decide if I want to build two of these, or try to cram two into the same box. I believe the latter will work, and it's less work to build one, and takes up less space.

This may turn out to be my son's subwoofer, he recently asked about building one. I could hide it behind his small TV stand pretty easily.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:30 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
I ordered a pair of the Anarchy 6.5" woofers. Now I need to decide if I want to build two of these, or try to cram two into the same box. I believe the latter will work, and it's less work to build one, and takes up less space.

This may turn out to be my son's subwoofer, he recently asked about building one. I could hide it behind his small TV stand pretty easily.
I decided to do one box with one driver. My knowledge of tapped horns is limited, but I convinced myself two drivers was a bad idea after all.

Listening to it now. It's really musical, nice and punchy, no one-note bass. And it digs deep, 30Hz is solid, and usable output to the high 20s. And it will shake the floor a bit. It's no super sub, but 150w on a 6" driver...boggles the mind.

No idea what to do next. Now I want to build a bigger one, but I'm just overrun with subs. I'm really building to learn, not really building for need. Hmm.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:47 PM
SOA

Pretty crazy you can get that kind of output from such a small driver, GF!

Speaking of crazy things: I had to move my speakers to make their placement more aesthetically pleasing before we had people over. Next time I listened, the sound quality was decent but not ideal. I didn't feel like messing with placement that night, so I just left things as is. The next night, I listened again and the system sounded much better! I hadn't done anything with my speakers or receiver settings, so I looked around the room to see what had changed.

Once again, it was my son's music stand! There was nothing on it to absorb sound. Actually, it was angled in such a way that it would point directions right back at my main listening position. But it was further back in the room, kind of behind me. So apparently I'm getting my sense of spaciousness from reflections that are behind the listening position.

I still think sound absorption would help, because the point of first reflections on that side appears to still be messing with things. But I'm thinking now that I'm going to be a fan of some combination of sound absorption and scattering. That doesn't surprise me, as apparently that's common for people who like a lot of "air" around their sound, from what I'm reading.

Last edited by Egghead; 09-13-2017 at 11:54 PM..