Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-17-2017, 12:10 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: University of Waterloo; Alumni
Favorite beer: Block 3

Well looks like i spoke to soon in my previous post.... after 6 weeks of procrastination it's time to actually jump back into this. Plan of attack is to read through ASM again, reinforcing comprehension and making notes of all the little things I tend to overlook. Since I've already done the majority of them, I most likely will not bother with the end of lesson questions until after reading through the entire manual first. Once i've finished reading through all the material again, I'll be doing the ASM practice exams, then buying an ADAPT subscription for whatever remaining time I have. Any other late starters or am I the only poor bastard? lol
Old 01-18-2017, 01:50 AM
SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Rutgers University Junior
Favorite beer: Shocktop

I'm still on binomial trees, didn't get to anything serious yet lol.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:47 PM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsp1995 View Post
I'm still on binomial trees, didn't get to anything serious yet lol.
You can get through the first third of the manual within a week if you force yourself to actually crank through the problems.
COP
Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM

Studying for MFE
College: Florida State University Alumni

I finally finished the manual yesterday. I want to say that it feels amazing to have finally completed it, but damn that final 1/4 of material took what felt like an eternity to get through...by no coincidence it's also the stuff I feel the least confident about.

I'm reviewing all of my summary notes today and tomorrow, and I'll be purchasing my Adapt subscription Saturday morning to start that journey.

I have a question though- what's your approach for exams at first? For the first 2-3 exams, I was thinking of:
1) Starting off at level 0, just lightly glazing over the problems open-book/notes, solving any that I instantly know how to, and guessing on ones that I don't know. I won't be worried about my score or timing on these first few exams, because I ultimately just want to see the problems and their solutions.
2) After I get a feel for that, then I'll jump into the next exam still open-book/notes, but solving each one and trying to finish in time, then raise the difficulty level each time I get a ~75% until I get to level 5.
3) Take a couple level 5 exams, this time without notes, until I get a ~75%
4) Continue to do level 5 exams under exam conditions until my sitting.

Has anyone done this or think it's a decent approach? For the last two exams, I just kind of jumped right in and took them under exam conditions. It resulted in me taking up the whole 3 hours and having really bad scores for a while, which made me think about 'warming' myself up to the exams first.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
I finally finished the manual yesterday. I want to say that it feels amazing to have finally completed it, but damn that final 1/4 of material took what felt like an eternity to get through...by no coincidence it's also the stuff I feel the least confident about.

I'm reviewing all of my summary notes today and tomorrow, and I'll be purchasing my Adapt subscription Saturday morning to start that journey.

I have a question though- what's your approach for exams at first? For the first 2-3 exams, I was thinking of:
1) Starting off at level 0, just lightly glazing over the problems open-book/notes, solving any that I instantly know how to, and guessing on ones that I don't know. I won't be worried about my score or timing on these first few exams, because I ultimately just want to see the problems and their solutions.
2) After I get a feel for that, then I'll jump into the next exam still open-book/notes, but solving each one and trying to finish in time, then raise the difficulty level each time I get a ~75% until I get to level 5.

Has anyone done this or think it's a decent approach? For the last two exams, I just kind of jumped right in and took them under exam conditions. It resulted in me taking up the whole 3 hours and having really bad scores for a while, which made me think about 'warming' myself up to the exams first.
Also interested in this. I've actually never used Adapt before, but with the swarm of recommendations to use it for MFE, I intend to do so the last few weeks before the exam.
COP
Old 01-20-2017, 11:22 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post

What worked for me is starting with level 3 (which is the default when you begin an Adapt subscription). Upon finishing the material with about 30 days to go, i spent roughly the first 15 days doing quizzes. I would do 5 or 10 question quizzes, each on a section of the syllabus. I then did did probably 10 exams in the last 15 days under exam conditions and going through those that I missed or marked (sometimes you mark one, through out a guess and get it right...make sure to mark ones you're not completely sure about). Go through the practice exams like it's the real one. When you get to a frustrating problem, move on but still try to give it the same effort as you would on the real exam. It may be hard to just say "Eh, I don't get this one, so I will just guess and look at the solution when the practice exam is done", but if you take an extra look, you will find that you DO know how to do it.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:27 PM
SOA

Just found out I passed MLC, so now I can focus 100% on MFE now. I am super behind. Hoping to catch up and be able to pass in the next 2 months.

Probably will spend the next month getting through TIA, and then the last month doing ADAPT.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:14 PM

Studying for MFE
College: Florida State University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete824 View Post
What worked for me is starting with level 3 (which is the default when you begin an Adapt subscription). Upon finishing the material with about 30 days to go, i spent roughly the first 15 days doing quizzes. I would do 5 or 10 question quizzes, each on a section of the syllabus. I then did did probably 10 exams in the last 15 days under exam conditions and going through those that I missed or marked (sometimes you mark one, through out a guess and get it right...make sure to mark ones you're not completely sure about). Go through the practice exams like it's the real one. When you get to a frustrating problem, move on but still try to give it the same effort as you would on the real exam. It may be hard to just say "Eh, I don't get this one, so I will just guess and look at the solution when the practice exam is done", but if you take an extra look, you will find that you DO know how to do it.
Thanks for your response! Quizzes definitely helped me out a ton through FM and P. Unfortunately with my work schedule, I won't be able to take so many full 3-hour practice exams under true testing conditions. I definitely plan on taking quizzes (and maybe one full exam) throughout the weekdays and dedicating my weekends to taking full exams.

I just bought my Adapt subscription today and the formula sheet for this exam seem significantly longer than FM and P...combined. I know some of it is intuitive and/or repetitive, but it's still really intimidating to look at lol.
Old Yesterday, 05:19 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: UC Berkeley

I'm feeling really good about my progress studying. Haven't registered for the exam yet because I'm applying to jobs and don't know where I'll be when the exam comes. I'm hoping to have a job by then but possibly not.