Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pujols4Prez View Post
I signed up for the 1GB + TV but now I think I am going to drop the TV since I can stream everything. Do you know anyone that has used just the base internet? Is it even worth it or should I just spring for the 1GB?
You mean the free internet (one time hookup fee)? I'm pretty sure the free version is a 5Mb line... so, nothing too fancy there.

Also, I can't recommend the TV enough. It essentially turns your TV into a smart TV. It's fully integrated with YouTube and Netflix and you can pair devices with it and run everything off your phone/tablet. It's just awesome.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:27 PM
CAS

I could cut diamonds with it. erose, please stop by.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:50 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividox View Post
You mean the free internet (one time hookup fee)? I'm pretty sure the free version is a 5Mb line... so, nothing too fancy there.

Also, I can't recommend the TV enough. It essentially turns your TV into a smart TV. It's fully integrated with YouTube and Netflix and you can pair devices with it and run everything off your phone/tablet. It's just awesome.
Yeah, but I don't have cable now and I am just getting used to not paying $160+ a month for something I don't use a ton. All I need are my sports, Netlflix, and an occasional movie. At this point it is between the $70 a month internet and the $0 internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statatak View Post
what's a JAS
Old 10-26-2016, 04:35 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

CEO resigned, layoffs announced, cancelling fiber-to-the-home in eight cities that were previously targeted. Sounds like big cities are definitely out of luck, and maybe they are going to stop expanding in general? So it goes.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...le-fiber-staff
Old 03-08-2018, 08:56 PM
SOA

AT&T Fiber is now available in my area. Google Fiber is supposed to make it here eventually, but could be a good while.

Worth it? Neighbors seem to love it. But I thought I remembered folks on here complaining about AT&T (or specifically U-Verse.)

I just signed up for Dish Network, so this would be an internet-only deal.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:01 PM
CAS

I was eager to sign up for Google Fiber as soon as available. In November 2016 I finally got the notice that Google Fiber was in my neighborhood and I needed to sign up immediately for installation while they were in the area. I did. Still don't have it, no sign of any work nearby, no communication from Google other than when I ask them what's up every 6 months or so. Disappointed.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 AM
CAS

yeah, i've given up on GF. it's in a few apartment complexes somewhat nearby but that doesn't do me any good.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
I was eager to sign up for Google Fiber as soon as available. In November 2016 I finally got the notice that Google Fiber was in my neighborhood and I needed to sign up immediately for installation while they were in the area. I did. Still don't have it, no sign of any work nearby, no communication from Google other than when I ask them what's up every 6 months or so. Disappointed.
Sounds very similar to how it went down in KC. Everyone got it eventually, but there were some very frustrated people by the time everyone had it.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
AT&T Fiber is now available in my area. Google Fiber is supposed to make it here eventually, but could be a good while.

Worth it? Neighbors seem to love it. But I thought I remembered folks on here complaining about AT&T (or specifically U-Verse.)

I just signed up for Dish Network, so this would be an internet-only deal.
I had u-verse gigabit internet and it was every bit as fast as described. I don't have it anymore because I moved a few streets away and it's not available :\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
I think they froze all of their build-outs in most (all?) cities. it was getting too expensive for them, supposedly. I know it hasn't many any progress at all in my city
Old 03-09-2018, 09:20 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I think they froze all of their build-outs in most (all?) cities. it was getting too expensive for them, supposedly. I know it hasn't many any progress at all in my city
Perhaps. The latest public information I could find the last time I looked was that they had indefinitely postponed / frozen plans for planned build outs in new cities but they were going to continue installations in their current markets. Maybe I'll do a little research over the weekend. I did just send another email to Google Fiber for a status update. They've generally answered something like "We apologize. It's still coming, but we can't give specific dates for every address. We appreciate your patience."