Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Financial Mathematics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Financial Mathematics Old FM Forum

Old 12-10-2019, 10:00 PM
SOA

College: St. Edwards University
Default Line in the Sand

One hour in on ASM Exam 4 and I am calling an audible on my remaining study time as well as drawing a line in the sand. If the exam questions I get next Tuesday are anything like the exam questions on this practice test I am not going to pass.

I am going to buy a one-week subscription to ADAPT and use that service for my remaining study time. I will keep this exam on hand and see what I can learn from it without any time constraints. Could be the authors of the ASM manual are going out of their way to make the last three practice tests exceptionally challenging. Could be that I am not near as versatile with the material as the SOA deems necessary. Could be both.

Whatever the reality, if I don't pass next Tuesday my pursuit of this career will be over. I gave it a shot. I poured in time, heart, and money. But it's quite possible that I should stick to teaching the lower level math that I better understand and leave the actuarial world alone.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job
Old 12-11-2019, 06:38 PM
SOA

The 6 practice exams in the ASM manual are in the order of difficulty, as reported by students using the manual. Please don't get discouraged. Try your best on the actual exam. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you made out.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:09 AM
SOA

College: St. Edwards University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Cherry View Post
The 6 practice exams in the ASM manual are in the order of difficulty, as reported by students using the manual. Please don't get discouraged. Try your best on the actual exam. I wish you the best of luck. Let us know how you made out.
Thank you.

P FM IFM
VEE: Economics VEE: Accounting VEE: Statistics
Job