Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Long-Term Actuarial Math
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Long-Term Actuarial Math Old Exam MLC Forum

Old 09-03-2018, 01:25 PM
SOA

For WA.5 can someone explain to me how the solution in part B has 84 in the EPV of expenses section? I thought the initial expense was 100 so how did they get from that to 84?
Old 09-03-2018, 02:14 PM
Non-Actuary

College: Cornell

They rolled the other 16 into a first payment of the quarterly annuity. With an annual payment of 4(16), the payments for that annuity will be 16 at time 0, 16 at time 0.25, 16 at 0.5 and 16 and 0.75. The 16 at time 0 combines with the 84 at time 0 to make the total of 100.

Does that help?

MAS-I Seminar, TIA Learn IOS App
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathDoctorG View Post
They rolled the other 16 into a first payment of the quarterly annuity. With an annual payment of 4(16), the payments for that annuity will be 16 at time 0, 16 at time 0.25, 16 at 0.5 and 16 and 0.75. The 16 at time 0 combines with the 84 at time 0 to make the total of 100.

Does that help?
Yeah I understand now. Thank you!
Old 09-07-2018, 12:16 AM
SOA

College: Temple Alumni

I decided to try an MLC practice exam today. The one I am currently working on is Fall 2016. But how do I know what is and isn't relevant for LTAM? For example, is there a list somewhere which shows all MLC questions from recent exams and says which problems are still relevant for LTAM?

I specifically wanted to take an old SOA MLC exam to get a feel for an SOA exam rather than using the bulk problem set or working more TIA problems. I will use these methods going forward as well, but I would like to take a few MLC exams too in order to get a feel for the actual exam.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:29 AM
James Washer / Notes Contributor
SOA

All published MLC exams starting with Fall 2015 and earlier are included in the SOA sample MC and WA questions. All published exams starting with Spring 2016 and later will be used as Sample Exams. I will be removing any problems no longer on the syllabus and adding questions on the new material. The first sample exam (based on Spring 2016) will be available either today or Monday at the latest.

We help people pass actuarial exams.

Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn.

Old 09-07-2018, 07:15 PM
SOA

You guys are all way ahead of me. I should be finishing Multiple Lives today, and since I passed C in June, I'll skim the mortality rates section before doing pensions. I should be able to have a month for practice tests.
Old 09-08-2018, 09:51 PM
SOA

At pensions, 2 more units to go. I have no idea how all this information is going to retain in my brain for 1.5 months. This exam is making me very nervous.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:46 PM
SOA

College: Temple Alumni

This is my second time taking this exam, which is why I am already on practice questions/exams. Plus I won't be able to study at all during the second half of September, so I had to plan my study time around that.

Once you start doing practice questions, the formulas and topics will feel more intuitive and everything will tie together. I think MLC/LTAM is one of the better exams in the sense that topics tie together well.

... But that being said, I am still terrified of the written answer problems lol.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:37 PM
SOA

Studying for Undecided
College: University of Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaur View Post
At pensions, 2 more units to go. I have no idea how all this information is going to retain in my brain for 1.5 months. This exam is making me very nervous.
It feels like everything is building on each other. Coworkers have said that it "clicks" once you get to the end.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:18 PM
SOA

Been doing practice for a few weeks now...and the time crunch is so real. I'm starting to think the SOA isn't expecting people to actually fully complete the exam.

Anecdotal but I know several friends from different sittings say they left a couple of the written entirely blank and still managed to score like 8's.