Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 10-14-2009, 10:05 PM

College: University of East Anglia
Default USA Soccer thread

No official one?

USA find a draw somehow for Charlie Davies

CRC to a playoff with Uruguay having two coach red cards lol
Old 10-14-2009, 10:07 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

That's ugly for the Costa Ricans. Equalizer deep in stoppage time sends them to the playoffs with the 5th place CONMEBOL team, Uruguay. I suppose CR should be thankful it's not Argentina.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 10-14-2009, 10:16 PM

College: University of East Anglia

Do we gain seeding in the WC for winning CONCACAF? If not i feel bad for Costa Rica
Old 10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

I can't seem to find the rules of the draw.

My guess would be that they keep the same "pot system" in place, where teams in the same pot cannot be drawn against each other. There are probably more rules than the ones below, but these are the main ones I'd expect them to adhere to.

1) Teams from the same federation, except for Europe, cannot be drawn together. (Since UEFA has 13 entrants and there are only 8 groups in the World Cup, there should be a few groups with two UEFA entrants. I believe 2 is the max, though.)

2) The top 8 teams qualified for the World Cup, as determined by FIFA Rankings as of December 4, 2009, will not be drawn against each other. In other words, Brazil (#1) will not be in the same group as Spain (#2).

3) South Africa will be placed in Group A as Team A1.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Chase Sapphire Reserve Referral? clicky
Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 PM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

No rules for the 2010 final draw have been announced.

ESPN has an article released today discussing this very thing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPN
FIFA are expected to confirm the draw procedure once the 32 qualifiers are known. It is far from certain that they will simply put the nations into four pots of eight by seeds. No more than two European nations can be in any one group, and as such FIFA may have to be a little more creative with their pots for this particular World Cup Draw. In 2006, FIFA had to place Serbia & Montenegro in a special pot to avoid this happening.

Much depends on exactly which nations qualify for the finals, and how that affects the top eight seeds. South Africa are guaranteed to be in the pot of seeds as hosts, meaning there will be seven places available for the qualifying nations. And in 2006, reigning champions Brazil were automatically placed into Group F and the same could happen to Italy next month.

Four years ago, FIFA had, along with a pot for the seeds, a group which contained the unseeded nations from South America, Africa and Oceania, another with eight European nations and a further pot with the seven nations from Asia and Concacaf. There was also the special pot for Serbia & Montenegro could not be drawn into a group which already had two European teams within it.

Thirteen European nations have qualified for the World Cup, which means that if less than five European teams are seeded FIFA will be unable to fit the rest of them into just the one pot. This is exactly what happened with Serbia & Montenegro for the 2006 finals as there were nine unseeded European nations.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:15 AM

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...play.php?f=100
Old 10-15-2009, 09:46 AM
SOA

Davies out almost a year- I was just about crying when I heard the news. Terrible.

Onyewu tore his patella last night- gonna be out 3-4 months. I hope we can get through this.

The Dingo ate your baby.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
SOA

Studying for modules
Favorite beer: Shiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arden Bensenhaver View Post
Do we gain seeding in the WC for winning CONCACAF? If not i feel bad for Costa Rica
In order to be seeded we would essentially have to be ranked in the top 7, since the top teams + host get the 8 seeds. Currently we are 11, with one team ahead of us out (Croatia) and 2 teams in playoffs (Russia and France). We would be helped towards a seeding if Argentina also had to play off. There is an outside chance we gain a couple spots before the draw and sneak into the last seeded spot, but I'm not too hopeful.

I don't bad for Costa Rica, they had chances earlier in qualifying to secure a spot, losing 0-1 to El Salvador, and 3-0, at home to Mexico. If you can't get at least a point out of those games, you get no sympathy from me for slipping to the fourth spot.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainDingo View Post
Davies out almost a year- I was just about crying when I heard the news. Terrible.

Onyewu tore his patella last night- gonna be out 3-4 months. I hope we can get through this.
I only saw the last part of the game. While setting up the corner kick (that eventually felled Onyewe), the US subbed. The announcers remarked that you usually don't sub during a corner. The US changes who is going to kick the corner, new guy hits a terrible corner, (way too long), injury. and now no subs left.

So the announcers jinxed Onyewu!
Old 10-15-2009, 03:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy The Clown View Post
I only saw the last part of the game. While setting up the corner kick (that eventually felled Onyewe), the US subbed. The announcers remarked that you usually don't sub during a corner. The US changes who is going to kick the corner, new guy hits a terrible corner, (way too long), injury. and now no subs left.

So the announcers jinxed Onyewu!
I'm not sure you have that right. The US had a corner, but the ref let a Costa Rica sub in, which doesn't typically happen.

Kenny Cooper was the 3rd US sub, but that was a few minutes before that corner kick.

The Dingo ate your baby.