Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirVLCIV View Post
And you might still grow up, but I'm not holding my breath.
Ha! I like to rib you because, frankly, you are very vocal about your opinions, so you really put yourself out there if things go bad.

I thought you said earlier this year that you were in 10-15 total leagues... with Doug, Spiller, and David Wilson as prime targets, and with very little chatter from you around FF this year, I assume you had a really cruddy year. It happens.

You just have a way of being really condescending to those that view sports stuff differently than you, so it's kind of funny to see you pull a KC Chiefs and fall flat on face, as the saying goes.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:02 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Mike View Post
Ha! I like to rib you because, frankly, you are very vocal about your opinions, so you really put yourself out there if things go bad.

I thought you said earlier this year that you were in 10-15 total leagues... with Doug, Spiller, and David Wilson as prime targets, and with very little chatter from you around FF this year, I assume you had a really cruddy year. It happens.

You just have a way of being really condescending to those that view sports stuff differently than you, so it's kind of funny to see you pull a KC Chiefs and fall flat on face, as the saying goes.
I should end up + on the year in money leagues (I've done really well in my draft and forget best ball leagues). My best league, actually, was the dynasty IDP I took over and completely transformed in the draft and opening auction.

Other than Martin, Spiller, and Richardson (I have Richardson in 0 leagues, but I did have him highly valued). I did pretty well on the RB1 front. I had McCoy/Charles towards the top of the list, and avoided AP/Rice/Foster/Ridley completely.

I went WR/WR a few times (including the WR/WR/WR/WR (which was a top-10 team (out of 120) and got knocked out in the 2nd round of playoffs (1st round bye); Calvin/Dez/DThomas/VJax for the loss ) and that worked out swimmingly, as I completely missed the RB mess, picking up Ws off the backs of Bilal Powell, Zac Stacy, etc.

I had Gordon as a primo target for WR3 this year (ask yankeetripper how many times I tried to trade for him preseason).

Yeah, I make a ton of predictions (though preseason I was being careful not to highlight my primo sleepers since we had the AO league and RFKL drafts), but I'll take 50/50 with a ton of predictions than going 1/1 and proclaiming myself a genius.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
Maybe, but a lot of your "must have targets" were misfires this year. Everyone can have a bad year
Meh. Young WRs are a crap shoot. I had Michael Floyd and Rueben Randle over Alshon Jeffery this year, but he's definitely taken a step forward that I didn't think he'd be capable of. I still love Floyd/Randle for the future (though Randle has cost the Giants a lot this year).

Keenan Allen is another one that came out of nowhere to me. I didn't see him as a year one contributor.

Cordarelle Patterson is who we thought he was. Supremely talented with the ball in his hands, but telegraphs his routes to any CB worth being an NFL starter.

I still see a lot of Dante Hall in Tavon Austin. Too small to be a key contributor, but will break out exciting plays a number of times.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:31 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Beer-Sheva

Quote:
Meh. Young WRs are a crap shoot. I had Michael Floyd and Rueben Randle over Alshon Jeffery this year, but he's definitely taken a step forward that I didn't think he'd be capable of. I still love Floyd/Randle for the future (though Randle has cost the Giants a lot this year).

Keenan Allen is another one that came out of nowhere to me. I didn't see him as a year one contributor.

Cordarelle Patterson is who we thought he was. Supremely talented with the ball in his hands, but telegraphs his routes to any CB worth being an NFL starter.

I still see a lot of Dante Hall in Tavon Austin. Too small to be a key contributor, but will break out exciting plays a number of times.
I had no questions about Alshon's talent, but after owning him last season I had big questions about his durability. Turned out to be wrong on that one....
Old 12-11-2013, 10:18 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Meh. Young WRs are a crap shoot.
I used to target 3rd year WR as breakout candidates, thinking they had time to practice routes, build rapport and work up depth chart, whatever.... Jeffrey was a just year ahead on that breakout path.

Not sure it's statistically proven, but it had served me well in the past in redraft leagues, and I think one site even tracks it for you if you are picking between sleeper WR candidates late in the draft, and want to use the rule to break ties:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/20...-receivers.cfm

More names on that list have been studs since Year 1 (Green, Jones, Cobb, Shorts?) than have broken out this year, so not sure it's a viable strategy anymore in this a more pass happy NFL.