Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 08-07-2014, 02:47 PM

College: Ohio State Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherCareerChanger View Post
I've been reading all of my team's practice reports and I'm getting pumped for this season to start.

I'm a bit pissed with my step-sister for planning her wedding on the first Saturday of college football season. Do it a week earlier and I don't have to miss any games. I really should get a TiVo.
For me it is the SOA scheduling the FAC for that weekend. But I can't complain too much (humblebrag).
Old 08-07-2014, 03:19 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: An icy cold one in a glass bottle

Quote:
I've been reading all of my team's practice reports and I'm getting pumped for this season to start.

I'm a bit pissed with my step-sister for planning her wedding on the first Saturday of college football season. Do it a week earlier and I don't have to miss any games. I really should get a TiVo.
you should get a new step-sister
Old 08-07-2014, 03:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
you should get a new step-sister
Technically our parents divorced like 4 years ago. So... I guess she's just a friend now?
Old 08-07-2014, 04:24 PM
SOA AAA

First games 3 weeks from tonight. I hope everyone gets the SEC Network for A&M/Spurrier.
You're a Master of Karate
And friendship
For Everyone
Old 08-07-2014, 04:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
First games 3 weeks from tonight. I hope everyone gets the SEC Network for A&M/Spurrier.
Or lives near a bar

Or has friends

That's going to be a good game though. I can't wait for Michigan State vs Oregon in week 2 though.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Non-Actuary

Last year I had to be in a wedding the day of the Bama/LSU game. He failed to mention the date until after I'd committed to it.

Recorded the game and managed to avoid spoilers until I got back home to watch.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM
AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Is This Wilt Chamberlain? View Post
Last year I had to be in a wedding the day of the Bama/LSU game. He failed to mention the date until after I'd committed to it.

Recorded the game and managed to avoid spoilers until I got back home to watch.
Nice. I always, always fail at avoiding spoilers. Had a situation just like yours and couldn't resist checking my phone immediately after the ceremony
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaActuary View Post
honestly, I would think a team's success in close games would be a better predictor for postseason success. I would trust Bochy's decisions in 2-1, 3-2 type games that will be more commonplace in the postseason. again, I'm not really sure what beating the Astros 13-1 for a +12 RD tells us.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:45 PM
AAA

Quote:
Or lives near a bar

Or has friends

That's going to be a good game though. I can't wait for Michigan State vs Oregon in week 2 though.
This game could be huge for the conferences with the new system. If either of these teams run the table, a one loss team from their conference could ride their coat tails into the playoffs. Or if they just have one loss, they could make it in with the conference champ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaActuary View Post
honestly, I would think a team's success in close games would be a better predictor for postseason success. I would trust Bochy's decisions in 2-1, 3-2 type games that will be more commonplace in the postseason. again, I'm not really sure what beating the Astros 13-1 for a +12 RD tells us.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Or lives near a bar

Or has friends

Well when I live if I don't get it I seriously doubt a bar or friend would have it. But I am OK without it. There are plenty of SEC games on broadcast or cable that I already get to satisfy me.

Currently my Cougars are on ESPN 4 times plus one that will either be ESPN or ESPN2, one on Fox Sports 1, one on CBS Sports and one on BYUtv. And the other 4 have decent chances of being picked up by ESPN or another or I might have to catch them on rebroadcasts on BYUtv.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:19 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
Well when I live if I don't get it I seriously doubt a bar or friend would have it. But I am OK without it. There are plenty of SEC games on broadcast or cable that I already get to satisfy me.

Currently my Cougars are on ESPN 4 times plus one that will either be ESPN or ESPN2, one on Fox Sports 1, one on CBS Sports and one on BYUtv. And the other 4 have decent chances of being picked up by ESPN or another or I might have to catch them on rebroadcasts on BYUtv.
Nice. I think all of my Duck games will be easily accessible. Except for maybe South Dakota State/Wyoming but the tickets are so cheap I may try and go.

Are you upset at not having the Holy War this year? That was one of the games I'd always tune into, such a fun rivalry. Also, congrats on the thrashing of Texas last year. It was a pretty hilarious game to watch. Your QB running rampant.

Good luck this year!