Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
that is true, but according to you, he's a top 5 player in the league. it still amazes me how he has no all-star appearances.
i've never said he was that high. the past couple times we've done the top 20 list, i've had him around 10th.

if stern selects him, i think it still counts on his resume as an 'all-star appearance'. arenas was an injury replacement last year, and basketball-reference.com shows 13 all-stars for the eastern conference (bottom of the page).

http://www.basketball-reference.com/.../NBA_2006.html
Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 AM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

you called him a darkhorse mvp candidate earlier this year. either way, assuming top 10, he should at least make the top 12 for a squad (or 24 if you want to count the east).

and getting on as a reserve doesn't mean much. it's like sloppy seconds. you get experience, but it's not quite the same.

does the nfl do the same thing? cause then that'd mean more than half the league are pro bowlers. lol
Old 02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
you called him a darkhorse mvp candidate earlier this year. either way, assuming top 10, he should at least make the top 12 for a squad (or 24 if you want to count the east).

and getting on as a reserve doesn't mean much. it's like sloppy seconds. you get experience, but it's not quite the same.

does the nfl do the same thing? cause then that'd mean more than half the league are pro bowlers. lol
I believe if you are selected to play or do play you are counted as a Pro bowler or All Star
Old 02-02-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

wrong again. i called him a darkhorse candidate to win the scoring title. how's that prediction going, btw? http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...on#post1816743

last year, he wasn't an all-star, but at the end of the year, which is more important really since it considers the whole season, not just the first half, he was 3rd team all-nba, i.e. roughly top 10 or 15

you could argue that the reserve selections mean more than the starters in some cases. i'm pretty sure that no one would argue that shaq has been one of the best players in the league this year.

no idea.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:37 AM

Not an all star.... Again.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:38 AM

Favorite beer: Blue Moon

it is funny how the coaches lied saying that the suspension would not influence their voting.
Old 02-02-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
it is funny how the coaches lied saying that the suspension would not influence their voting.
Piling up stats on a bad team doesn't make a player that good. What are the nuggets? One game over .500? Why would you want melo on your team? He's not a winner.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomo View Post
Piling up stats on a bad team doesn't make a player that good. What are the nuggets? One game over .500? Why would you want melo on your team? He's not a winner.
how exactly does scoring 30+ ppg while shooting about 50% hurt your teams chances of winning?

i guess the following list of players should all just quit the game according to your criteria: chris bosh, kidd, carter, pierce, j.o'neal, redd, dwight howard, wade, joe johnson, okafor, chris paul, gasol, garnett, ray allen, elton brand, baron davis, mike bibby, ron artest. you might even throw in lebron, arenas, billups, and rip, since 0.500 in the west is probably at least as good as 0.600 in the east.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin cassidy View Post
i guess the following list of players should all just quit the game according to your criteria: chris bosh, kidd, carter, pierce, j.o'neal, redd, dwight howard, wade, joe johnson, okafor, chris paul, gasol, garnett, ray allen, elton brand, baron davis, mike bibby, ron artest. you might even throw in lebron, arenas, billups, and rip, since 0.500 in the west is probably at least as good as 0.600 in the east.
I guess some people just don't want to be around a guy who throws a sucker punch at a fellow player and then runs away.

I guess it might hurt your team to act like that and then miss 15 games. Maybe players who do that kind of stuff don't belong on all star team.

Missing games because of injury is one thing, missing games because you are a punk is something else.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin cassidy View Post
how exactly does scoring 30+ ppg while shooting about 50% hurt your teams chances of winning?

Didn't the Nets just slap the Nuggets at home? Maybe .500 in the West isn't what you think. And most the players you listed aren't going to the All-Star game.