Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

View Poll Results: Will self driving autos kill car insurance?
Of course 37 16.52%
Maybe but not for a long time 162 72.32%
I'm a luddite... 25 11.16%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2017, 06:14 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig93 View Post
I assume that Tesla is found partially responsible because their technology did not work as well as they implied it did, or something along those lines.
Nope. They were up front about the limitations, and the driver ignored repeated warnings.

They think Tesla is at fault for being unable to ensure driver attention, monitoring driver engagement, and ensuring it is used on certain roads.
Sredni Vashtar the Beautiful.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-13-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 10:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Nope. They were up front about the limitations, and the driver ignored repeated warnings.

They think Tesla is at fault for being unable to ensure driver attention, monitoring driver engagement, and ensuring it is used on certain roads.
OK, that's sort of in line with what I was thinking... certainly not for "being more dangerous than a motorcycle" at any rate.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
OK, that's sort of in line with what I was thinking... certainly not for "being more dangerous than a motorcycle" at any rate.
They'll tell Tesla that they HAVE to do something to make sure the driver is paying attention, but they sure as hell aren't going to tell Harley that they need to invent a device that makes sure the rider is sober, wearing a helmet, driving at safe speeds, taking safe turns, driving on appropriate roads, etc. etc. etc.

Whatever they do will result in at least some increase in price in the safest vehicle on the market, which will result in more people choosing less safe vehicles.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 09-14-2017 at 11:47 AM..
Old 09-14-2017, 11:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
They'll tell Tesla that they HAVE to do something to make sure the driver is paying attention, but they sure as hell aren't going to tell Harley that they need to invent a device that makes sure the rider is sober, wearing a helmet, driving at safe speeds, taking safe turns, driving on appropriate roads, etc. etc. etc.

Whatever they do will result in at least some increase in price in the safest vehicle on the market, which will result in more people choosing less safe vehicles.
Are drunk drivers restricted to Harley Davidsons or something?

I don't know if Tesla is actually the safest car on the market while in auto-drive mode, but even if that claim is correct... if you're honestly surprised that the government is holding self-driving cars to a higher standard than self-driven ones, all I can say is "told you so". I predicted this scores of pages back, and I'll reiterate:

Technology is going to be expected to perform to a substantially higher standard than humans. Tesla-at-fault accidents (or Tesla-partially-at-fault accidents) will be judged far more harshly than driver-at-fault accidents. If Tesla isn't the manufacturer, then substitute in whoever is.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
all I can say is "told you so".
Yeah, I saw it coming too. I just hoped it would take a more honest form.

eg. "we're going to require a much better crash record than other vehicles."

Not "we'll punish you if a driver is even capable of being an idiot"
Old 09-14-2017, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Are drunk drivers restricted to Harley Davidsons or something?

I don't know if Tesla is actually the safest car on the market while in auto-drive mode, but even if that claim is correct... if you're honestly surprised that the government is holding self-driving cars to a higher standard than self-driven ones, all I can say is "told you so". I predicted this scores of pages back, and I'll reiterate:

Technology is going to be expected to perform to a substantially higher standard than humans. Tesla-at-fault accidents (or Tesla-partially-at-fault accidents) will be judged far more harshly than driver-at-fault accidents. If Tesla isn't the manufacturer, then substitute in whoever is.
If you think you are a significantly safer driver than the average person, it is only rational to not want to relinquish control. I would guess 90% of drivers believe this.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:46 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo View Post
If you think you are a significantly safer driver than the average person, it is only rational to not want to relinquish control. I would guess 90% of drivers believe this.
Not sure I buy this logic. The better the driver I am compared to the average person, the more I want EVERYONE to give up control.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassy View Post
Not sure I buy this logic. The better the driver I am compared to the average person, the more I want EVERYONE to give up control.
Yeah, I guess one can make arguments either way.

Vaccines provide a significant public benefit with very low risks. There are decades of experience supporting their benefits. Seems like it would be a slam dunk to require everyone to be vaccinated. Hasn't happened. Then there's the anti-vaxers that have sprung up in the last 10 years or so.

I think it will be more difficult to require self driving autos than to require vaccination. The benefits are smaller. JMO.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:39 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

i disagree with the NTSB faulting Tesla.

one idiot misused the product out of how many thousands?

it's kinda like faulting McDonald's because one dude got obese eating mcd's twelve times a day
Old 09-14-2017, 06:02 PM
CAS SOA

I got the impression that it was less them faulting Tesla as it was identifying areas that could have prevented the fatality. i.e.
1. The truck shouldn't have turned left unsafely.
2. The Tesla driver shouldn't have been an irresponsible a**.
3. Tesla shouldn't have allowed autopilot to continue operating, given #2.
4. Tesla shouldn't have allowed autopilot to engage on types of roads it isn't qualified/approved on.