Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 AM
SOA

Default What to do next? Afraid of curriculum change deadline

Hi All - I am looking for some advice regarding the best order to satisfy the requirements for ASA. I would like to satisfy all of the requirements before July 1, 2018. I have passed P, FM, and MFE. I have not satisfied any of the other requirements for ASA. Which of the following should I do? I am about 30% of the way through the ASM C manual as of today.

A. C in October 2016
B. Modules now, C February 2017, MLC October 2017
C. Modules now, MLC April 2017, C October 2017
D. Something else - what's your suggestion?

Edit: I work full-time, and MLC is relevant.

Last edited by aanglen; 07-30-2016 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: Update
Old 07-30-2016, 12:54 AM
CAS SOA

College: Iowa State University Graduate

C in October 2016. Modules/Vees from then until February. MLC in April 2017. Finish up Modules/Vees by October. Finish with APC whenever.

Similar to what I'm doing.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:48 AM
SOA

At first, I have the same thought with you: have to qualify ASA asap. But then, when I give it a second thought, my ego raises the voice: "Oh F***, just 2 another exams, why the hell are you scared of it? It also gives you some knowledge". Then I calm down and decide not to rush for all :P Confident like a ****ing boss, SOA is only testing skills, and I have actuarial background, so nothing to fear =)))
Old 07-30-2016, 02:23 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for GH Specialty

Don't do anything different. Ensure that all the exams or other requirements you are planning to take between now and the change transition in (which I think they all do).

For the average student, you're likely to do yourself more harm than good by trying to rush through too quickly...
Old 08-04-2016, 04:39 AM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Hong Kong

How about my case? I fear of the syllabus change and want to get qualified as ASA asap too.

I have passed P and FM only, but all the VEEs can be completed by my college courses studied. I am planning on MFE this November (20% through ASM) MLC in April next year and C in October next year. I may start FAP after I took MLC, maybe starting in May or June, same time as I start preparing for C. I hope this is not too much of rushing through.

By the way, I am currently an undergraduate student (middle year) and I have full time study/work (as intern) at hand at the same time.

What do you guys think? Thank you for any advice in advance!
APC
Old 08-04-2016, 09:05 AM
SOA

Studying for ILA-LP

Quote:
Originally Posted by aanglen View Post
Hi All - I am looking for some advice regarding the best order to satisfy the requirements for ASA. I would like to satisfy all of the requirements before July 1, 2018. I have passed P, FM, and MFE. I have not satisfied any of the other requirements for ASA. Which of the following should I do? I am about 30% of the way through the ASM C manual as of today.

A. C in October 2016
B. Modules now, C February 2017, MLC October 2017
C. Modules now, MLC April 2017, C October 2017
D. Something else - what's your suggestion?

Edit: I work full-time, and MLC is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagust2108 View Post
How about my case? I fear of the syllabus change and want to get qualified as ASA asap too.

I have passed P and FM only, but all the VEEs can be completed by my college courses studied. I am planning on MFE this November (20% through ASM) MLC in April next year and C in October next year. I may start FAP after I took MLC, maybe starting in May or June, same time as I start preparing for C. I hope this is not too much of rushing through.

By the way, I am currently an undergraduate student (middle year) and I have full time study/work (as intern) at hand at the same time.

What do you guys think? Thank you for any advice in advance!

I think both of you should just concentrate on passing your next exam and worry about the deadline later. It's going to be difficult getting ASA's with less than two years before the deadline, given the grading time for modules and assessments.

I would prepare as if you're going to meet requirements before the deadline, but don't expect it.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:00 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: University of Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzo Von Matterhorn View Post
I think both of you should just concentrate on passing your next exam and worry about the deadline later. It's going to be difficult getting ASA's with less than two years before the deadline, given the grading time for modules and assessments.

I would prepare as if you're going to meet requirements before the deadline, but don't expect it.
Thank you Lorenzo. I will take your advice and focus on MFE for now.
APC
Old 10-12-2016, 01:17 PM
CAS SOA

I have pretty much the same schedule and concerns OP here, so I'll just bump this thread.

I just passed C. I still need MLC, all FAP modules, and two VEEs out of four, and whatever the final assessment is (APC?).

Someone suggested completing some FAP modules and VEEs before MLC in April 2017. How much time does one need for preparing for MLC? I heard it's the hardest. Is it realistic to complete the rest of my ASA requirements (FAP, 2 VEEs, APC) before the 2018 curriculum change assuming I pass MLC in April 2017?
Old 10-13-2016, 11:51 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanc93 View Post
I have pretty much the same schedule and concerns OP here, so I'll just bump this thread.

I just passed C. I still need MLC, all FAP modules, and two VEEs out of four, and whatever the final assessment is (APC?).

Someone suggested completing some FAP modules and VEEs before MLC in April 2017. How much time does one need for preparing for MLC? I heard it's the hardest. Is it realistic to complete the rest of my ASA requirements (FAP, 2 VEEs, APC) before the 2018 curriculum change assuming I pass MLC in April 2017?
I think the first thing you should do is some research on your remaining requirements, given the bolded statement.

As has been said above, for the average student, it's going to be tough. Are you in school? working? both? That's one factor.

Another factor? Grading lag. It took me a full year to complete the FAP modules, not because I was slow (I mean, I was more casually working through them than I would have for an exam, don't get me wrong) but because the grading lag is ridiculously long. 8-10 weeks. AND if you fail a module you have to wait the 8-10 weeks all over again for the re-grade. Trust me, it can take significant time.

How will you get your VEE requirements? Through university, or through the SOA courses? I'm not sure how long those take because I got all of mine through my university.

I'm studying for MLC now - since February, with a month off for wedding+honeymoon festivities. It is a beast of an exam. So much material that builds on itself. How many months did you study for previous exams? How many attempts on MFE/C? That all will give some indication (but not 100% predict) your level of effort and time needed for MLC. Figure at least 6 months study time, probably more, especially if you want to pass 1st try.

P FM MFE C MLC (Fall '16 Spring '17)
FAP eLearning
Econ VEE Corp Fin VEE Applied Stat VEE