Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
SOA

Default I need some advice

Hello.

I'm majoring in Economics and I'm currently on my final semester. I will graduate this coming Feb 2017. I'm doing my univ studies here in Korea.

After graduation, I plan to take two exams in 6 months. P and FM most likely. Yes, I haven't passed any exam yet. (I hope I'm not too late yet. I'm 23 years old)

I'll start studying for P around mid-January because my classes end mid December and after that, I have nothing to do.. so I plan to take the March 2017 P Exam and the June 2017 FM Exam. taking two exams in 6 months is manageable right?

After that, I plan on applying for internships because I don't have any experiences yet so I don't think I can apply immediately for an EL job. Well I did a 1-month internship at an insurance company here in Korea but I doubt that would be of much help to me.

Also, I'll be staying in NY (as a visitor) while preparing for the exams and I'll be taking it there too. I'm not a US citizen so yeah there's the working visa problem but I won't ask about that here.

I just want to ask how many exams should I consider passing first before applying for internships/EL jobs? Also, any tips for a late starter like me cuz I know most students graduate with at least two exams under their belt.

Thank you!