Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2016, 01:56 PM
MMA Dummy's Avatar
MMA Dummy MMA Dummy is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Studying for MFE
Posts: 13
Default VEE Order???

Is there certain VEEs I should take before the ASA changes go into effect? I'm sitting for MFE but have no VEE thus far since I'm a career changer. I'm currently employed as an actuarial analyst so I was thinking about taking the Coaching Actuaries online courses. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2016, 02:07 PM
bigb's Avatar
bigb bigb is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Dummy View Post
Is there certain VEEs I should take before the ASA changes go into effect? I'm sitting for MFE but have no VEE thus far since I'm a career changer. I'm currently employed as an actuarial analyst so I was thinking about taking the Coaching Actuaries online courses. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
CPCU 540 is an absolute gimme. I believe this credit expires at the end of 2017 but I don't know all of the transfer rules. This is currently the lowest hanging fruit (in my opinion).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Hartke Hartke is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,410
Default

Id say ECON CLEP is the lowest hanging fruit.

Stat is the only one you cant take a test for at the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2016, 02:18 PM
bigb's Avatar
bigb bigb is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,454
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
Id say ECON CLEP is the lowest hanging fruit.

Stat is the only one you cant take a test for at the moment.
I've heard that as well. I took my Econ requirements online through a local community college so I never took ECON CLEP - that may be low hanging fruit as well.

I would say for the stats requirement I liked the Actex VEE combo course. You were able to get credit for both parts and although it wasn't a gimme, they definitely give you all the opportunity in the world to pass.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM
MMA Dummy's Avatar
MMA Dummy MMA Dummy is offline
SOA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Studying for MFE
Posts: 13
Default

Dang, I wish I would have known about the CPCU 540 & CLEP sooner. I have been putting off VEEs for almost a year. Thanks for the help guys!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2016, 04:12 PM
Hartke Hartke is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb View Post
I've heard that as well. I took my Econ requirements online through a local community college so I never took ECON CLEP - that may be low hanging fruit as well.

I would say for the stats requirement I liked the Actex VEE combo course. You were able to get credit for both parts and although it wasn't a gimme, they definitely give you all the opportunity in the world to pass.
I did the Actex stats course as well. seems like the best option at present. Ive seen people do the NEAS and that looked awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMA Dummy View Post
Dang, I wish I would have known about the CPCU 540 & CLEP sooner. I have been putting off VEEs for almost a year. Thanks for the help guys!
I knocked out CLEP and CPCU while waiting for MLC results earlier this year. its the only way to fly.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2016, 11:35 AM
manaknight14's Avatar
manaknight14 manaknight14 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 0100111001001010
Studying for Exam 6
College: tDEC survivor
Favorite beer: Capt'n Eli's root
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartke View Post
Id say ECON CLEP is the lowest hanging fruit.
I can confirm this. 540 is fairly easy, but CLEP is orders of magnitude easier.

However, if you are planning on going the SOA route, you may want to consider tackling the stats VEE first because of the coming curriculum changes. The stats VEE will give you credit for both a VEE and an exam under the new structure.
__________________
Exams: 1/P[✔] 2/FM[✔] 3F/MFE[✔] 3L[✔] 4/C[✔] 5[✔] 6[] 7[ ] 8[ ] 9[ ]
VEE: Statistics[✔] Finance[✔] Economics[✔]
Online Courses: CA1[✔] CA2[✔]
Course on Professionalism [✔]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
actuarial, asa, exams, order, vee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.35154 seconds with 11 queries