Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > VEE > Statistics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:46 PM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kml92682 View Post
I just took the final last week, and I didn't get a repeat question from the assignments until the last 6 questions. Thankfully, I didn't take this too lightly, otherwise I could've easily failed.
Do you mean an exact repeat with the same values and exact same answer, or you only had 6 questions where they asked you to do the same type of calculation that you had done in an assignment before (regardless of whether the values used were the same or not)? (I'm assuming you mean exact same values, because a final consisting of 80% new material seems a bit outlandish...)

There really weren't that many different topics covered, and several of my questions involved doing the exact same computations as a previous question but with different given information. There were a few with the exact same values given in the data (and the same answer) but I still worked through them easily because I had seen the type of question in the assignments and had studied the assignments as part of my prep for the final.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:21 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing.. for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
Do you mean an exact repeat with the same values and exact same answer, or you only had 6 questions where they asked you to do the same type of calculation that you had done in an assignment before (regardless of whether the values used were the same or not)? (I'm assuming you mean exact same values, because a final consisting of 80% new material seems a bit outlandish...)

There really weren't that many different topics covered, and several of my questions involved doing the exact same computations as a previous question but with different given information. There were a few with the exact same values given in the data (and the same answer) but I still worked through them easily because I had seen the type of question in the assignments and had studied the assignments as part of my prep for the final.
I just meant that the last 6 were exact repeats. People had mentioned seeing as many as 18 exact repeats, and I was just saying that it isn't always the case. You could say some of the questions were similar, but a lot of them were asking different things than the assignment questions.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice
Default vital source vs. textbooks

Can anyone who used the textbooks and/or only vitalsource attest to whether the textbooks are necessary or definitely recommended, please

PROJECT: Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Old 01-30-2017, 09:11 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
Can anyone who used the textbooks and/or only vitalsource attest to whether the textbooks are necessary or definitely recommended, please
The end of chapter problems in the textbook are very helpful. Don't know that it is completely necessary, but doing the problems did help.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Default Revised Applied Stats syllabi

Hi,

This is Keith Lo, Product Manager of VEE at Coaching Actuaries. Here is an updated syllabus for Applied Stats. We now allow you to schedule a final exam proctor with Coaching Actuaries as part of your subscription.

Best,

Keith
Attached Images
File Type: pdf SyllabusVEEAppliedStatistics-rev2.3.2017.pdf (496.7 KB, 179 views)

Last edited by Waltz25; 02-09-2017 at 03:35 PM..
Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 PM
SOA

College: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbird70 View Post
The end of chapter problems in the textbook are very helpful. Don't know that it is completely necessary, but doing the problems did help.
Vitalsource states that I cannot buy this textbook in Asia regions.... sigh...
Old 04-21-2017, 05:18 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Can anyone give a timeline of events from course completion to SOA credit for the VEE?
Old 04-23-2017, 06:00 PM
SOA

Studying for FAP
Favorite beer: Dunkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
I think going over the Reading 11 in vitalsource helps a lot to understand the material. The coaching actuaries notes for that chapter is not detailed enough.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:52 AM
CAS SOA

Studying for MLC

Does this VEE course have any comprehensive practice exams to help prepare for the Final?
Old 04-27-2017, 08:55 AM

Hi,

This is Keith Lo, Product Manager of VEE at Coaching Actuaries.

We now have more than 100 questions in the bank, and we allow you to count the better of two assignment attempts toward your final grade. As mentioned, the final exam questions will be similar to these questions in style and difficulty. Therefore, we believe the assignment questions replicate the experience of the exam.

Best of luck studying!

--Keith