Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 01-10-2017, 03:51 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for MFE
College: Union Collge Alumnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
Good luck with everything! I'm starting to enter my usual "two-month meltdown" so maybe I'll see you in the summer MFE thread

Edit: I just read through ASM's Lesson 23 - Stochastic Integration three times, and I might have well have read it negative ten times because I still don't know wtf I just read
just keep moving forward....I'll beat this exam too at some point....
Old 01-10-2017, 04:00 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by had3s View Post
Can someone tell me if any other options are important except Asian, Barrier, Compound, GAP and Exchange? I don't find anything related to others on the syllabus?
Chooser, min/max, all or nothing and forward start

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Old 01-10-2017, 07:43 PM
SOA

College: Rutgers University Junior
Favorite beer: Shocktop

I just started studying like ... 3 days ago, this looks much harder than FM and P.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamka View Post
Chooser, min/max, all or nothing and forward start
Agree to this. All or nothing options are definitely ones that you should know the equations and how they can be used to create other options. Forward start options seem to be somewhat common as well. The others: fair game but probably not likely
Old 01-11-2017, 01:29 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete824 View Post
Agree to this. All or nothing options are definitely ones that you should know the equations and how they can be used to create other options. Forward start options seem to be somewhat common as well. The others: fair game but probably not likely
Yep, all or nothing are building blocks and the others are good only for onesy and twosy questions

Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bujayherster View Post
I changed roles at work and my workload had increased significantly. I also have two young ones at home so I just don't think it will happen by March - I am also not an actuary so it isn't a big deal - it's more of a personal goal to pass the exam at some point. I was hoping to pass before the change but oh well.
Oh, ok. Well, I wish you the best of luck for the summer exam! I'm hoping not to be there with you, but you never know! I'm still behind where I'd like to be, but I'm pushing through. My workload is high right now, too, so I completely understand.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:26 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
Good luck with everything! I'm starting to enter my usual "two-month meltdown" so maybe I'll see you in the summer MFE thread

Edit: I just read through ASM's Lesson 23 - Stochastic Integration three times, and I might have well have read it negative ten times because I still don't know wtf I just read
Haha! Don't worry, I think Lesson 23 is probably the least likely to be tested on (just my impression). However, when going through the manual the first time, lesson 23 really clarified a lot about Brownian motion in general for me (especially, when I paired it with the textbook). I didn't quite understand what was going on beforehand, but this topic cleared things up. I see why the study schedule spreadsheet puts this alongside lessons 16 and 17. If it isn't clicking, though, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:09 AM
CAS

Just started my MFE course in college this week. Debating on whether I should take the March exam or wait for the curriculum change and take it in July. Will it be easier or more difficult after the curriculum change, and is it possible to fit all the information and be prepared if I were to attempt to take the exam in March?
Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 PM
SOA

Starting to feel a little bit nervous even though the exam is in 2 months. Currently at chapter 19.. slowly progressing and doing some end of chapter exercices. What are the most important topics for this exam? Looking at the syllabus, majority of questions is on binomial trees, black scholes, exotic options, hedging and interest rate models? Any suggestions until then?
Old 01-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: Florida State University Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
Haha! Don't worry, I think Lesson 23 is probably the least likely to be tested on (just my impression). However, when going through the manual the first time, lesson 23 really clarified a lot about Brownian motion in general for me (especially, when I paired it with the textbook). I didn't quite understand what was going on beforehand, but this topic cleared things up. I see why the study schedule spreadsheet puts this alongside lessons 16 and 17. If it isn't clicking, though, I probably wouldn't worry about it.
It definitely cleared things up a little bit with Brownian Motion, but it took me way too damn long just to get, what feels like, a pretty small amount of "enlightenment" on the topic haha. I think if it is tested on, it'll only be one question max...hopefully.

I decided to not hang my head on it too much and moved on. I'm finishing up Lessons 24 (Binomial Tree Models for Interest Rates) and 25 (Black Formula for Bond Options) today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by had3s View Post
Starting to feel a little bit nervous even though the exam is in 2 months. Currently at chapter 19.. slowly progressing and doing some end of chapter exercices. What are the most important topics for this exam? Looking at the syllabus, majority of questions is on binomial trees, black scholes, exotic options, hedging and interest rate models? Any suggestions until then?
You should have a decent amount of time to finish the manual and practice until the exam. If you're feeling a bit too nervous for comfort, you can do what I'm doing and "fast-track" the final chapters just to get them over with and start taking practice exams; I'm only reading through them, taking very minimal notes, and looking over the problems/solutions (not trying them myself, which can take a long time).