Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 11-18-2016, 01:39 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Carlsberg
Default PAK LP Online Seminar - Spring 2017

Hi Everyone!

I hope students are taking this time to rest and relax the mind to prepare for the Spring 2017 sitting. The FSA exams are a marathon and finding the right balance during down times is key to having the endurance to make it for the long haul. I finished all my exams in 3.5 years and some of the best advice I can give is this: Work hard and rest hard.

That being said, my delay in getting this post up was sadly not because I was resting; rather I’ve been working with the PAK team to develop ways to improve our products this sitting. The PAK ILA Online Seminars have been well received with consistently positive feedback from students as they’ve made their way from ASA to FSA with Francis and me. However, each sitting students ask for more practice problems.

To help us meet this demand and better prepare our students, the master of practice questions (and also the owner of PAK) Eddy Chan will be lending us his skills in writing brand new original practice problems… 200+ of them for LP. This set of practice problems is a brand new addition for Spring 2017 will be available to all LP Online Seminar students.

Eddy has helped hundreds of students pass exams with his unique ability to anticipate and write original practice problems (mostly for ERM exams)… but it was only a matter of time before he made an appearance for the other ILA exams. This addition to the LP Online Seminar is set to take an already solid study resource and take it to the next level... and can be made even more powerful when used in conjunction with the other PAK products.

Both the PAK Study Guide (+its add-ons) and the PAK Online Seminar are quality products on a stand-alone basis yet the true value is in the combination packages. Visit the PAK LP homepage for a full catalog of our LP products. We offer savings packages for our most popular products... but you also have the option to select products a la carte to customize your study resources. This organic feature of the PAK products allows students to tap into the experience and expertise of not one, but three accomplished instructors and has been one of the most cited advantages by students working with PAK.

To the good stuff...

The PAK Life Pricing Online Seminar includes
1) Comprehensive presentations of each reading discussing content, main ideas, testable topics, and key past exam questions
2) Strategy section with videos discussing study strategies and exam-taking strategies
3) Videos for exam questions demonstrating how to approach and answer a question in its entirety
4) Condensed outlines for each syllabus reading (Sample #1; Sample #2)
5) 200+ Brand New Practice Problems
6) Complete video library on demand - video formats are compatible with all smartphones and tablets
7) PAK forum access & Full time email support (This IS my full time job)

Online Seminar video samples:
View LP Video Lesson Sample #1
View LP Video Lesson Sample #2
View LP Exam Question Video Sample
View Strategy Section Video Sample
Video formats are compatible with all smartphones and tablets

Release Schedule
* ALL videos are available NOW
* Updates/Improvements to existing videos will be announced on the OS homepage
* Past Exam Question videos will be added continuously

I am responsible for the Online Seminar and Francis takes the lead on the Study Guide (+its add-ons). This dynamic holds for all 3 of the ILA exams. Francis and I have been working together for years (in our prior jobs and with PAK) and have continued to do so with all of our ILA products to bring you a set of cohesive, well-rounded products that work together while giving you access to the insight and strategies of two experienced instructors. Our goal is very simply take you step-by-step through the ILA exams and get you your FSA as quickly as possible.

As always, DM me any questions or drop me an email at garrycapko@pakstudymanual.com

I hope you enjoy the samples and I look forward to working with you all this sitting!

View PAK Products
Life Pricing: Sample #1, Sample #2, & Sample #3
Life Finance and Valuation: Sample #1 & Sample #2
Life Risk Management: Sample #1 & Sample #2

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore

Last edited by g_capko; 11-18-2016 at 01:53 PM..
Old 12-13-2016, 07:47 PM
SOA

To all prospective students (especially students new to FSA exams)– I highly encourage you to visit the PAK LP homepage and have a look at the detailed product descriptions for each product that we offer.

For example, one product that I really wish I had when I was taking exams is the PAK Test Aid. I think that we can all agree that working past exams was a large part of the study process for the preliminary exams. As many of these exams are multiple-choice, there is little subjectivity in the grading: you get the question right or you don’t; if you get the question wrong, you have a solution that objectively takes you from the beginning to end.

As we transition from a multiple-choice world to an essay based world… working through past exam questions becomes much more subjective… especially the qualitative exam questions. Further, given the time constraints of the FSA exams, we typically don’t aim for full points on every single question. In fact, aiming for partial credit on some questions is a viable exam taking strategy. (Deciding WHICH questions you should aim for partial credit is something I discuss quite often in the Online Seminar)

As a student, it’s difficult enough to put yourself in an FSA exam-like environment. Taking this a step further, how do you then assess your responses? The PAK Test Aid aims to help you improve your responses and maximize the number of points you can earn on the exam. Knowing HOW to write your responses is such a critical component to passing FSA exams… and it’s also something that students find most difficult about these exams.

View PAK Products

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 01-11-2017, 01:55 PM
SOA

Hi Everyone,

Just because LP doesn’t have any syllabus changes for the 2017 Spring sitting doesn’t mean that we aren’t hard at work making improvements to the PAK products.

+ For the Online Seminar, I’m currently finishing up videos for the new LFV-US readings… but I’ve already started planning new LP videos that will mostly focus on past-exam questions. This will include the 2016 Fall exam but also older exam questions that have frequently popped up on the PAK forum as problematic for students.

+ Francis has already updated released the Study Manual and Flashcards. Spring 2017 updates included expanding and improving some sections to help students gain a better understanding of the material. He is currently hard at work on the PAK Exam Aid and Test Aid.

+ And lastly, Eddy Chan is right on point to deliver a brand new set of original practice problems. Eddy is the founder of PAK and has seen TONS of exam questions over the years. So if there’s anyone in the best position to brainstorm exam-like practice problems, it’s definitely him.

In short, we have 3 experienced instructors working full steam ahead to bring you the best set of LP products to date. This is the first sitting that we’ve got 3 sets of hands on deck with the ILA products and I think that this will benefit students all around. Each of us is focusing on what we do best and I think that this will make the spectrum of PAK products tighter and more cohesive than ever.

As always, please let us know if you have any questions regarding any of our products or exams in general. Ultimately, all of us are working toward the same goal: Our students passing as quickly as possible. So anything we can do to help, just let us know.

View PAK Products

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore
Old 01-17-2017, 02:33 PM
SOA

In addition to enhancing the content of the PAK LP Online Seminar...
We've also taken measures to enhance the student's viewing experience by upgrading our video player.

Students will now have the ability to set the playback speed to 0.5X, 0.75X, 1X, 1.25X, 1.5X, or 2X!

Speed the video up when doing quick reviews or refreshers...
Slow the video down to allow difficult topics more time to sink in...

This extremely valuable feature will let students customize how they view Online Seminar videos . As every student studies differently, more flexibility in study resources equates to more efficient studying and a better chance at passing the exam.

Please feel free to test drive the new player with our LP Online Seminar video samples.

Enjoy!
Attached Images

View PAK Products

Purchase PAK Products
Actex
Actuarial Bookstore
FIA Bookstore