Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Exam 4/C - Construction and Evaluation of Actuarial Models
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 01-10-2017, 08:54 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
Im finding ADAPT level 6+ questions to be fairly difficult. Anyone else in the same boat? Any input on real exam questions vs ADAPT level 6+?
I find anything over 6.5ish to be very difficult. I haven't taken the exam before, but would love to hear those who have's input.

Probably procrastinating....
Old 01-10-2017, 11:31 AM
SOA

For those in this thread who passed MLC, how does MLC compare now that you're familiar with the material on C?
Old 01-10-2017, 11:10 PM
SOA

College: UVA Alumnus

Material-wise they're nothing alike other than that they both use probability concepts. C is a catch-all exam of various basic probabilistic modeling techniques whereas MLC is basic insurance engineering.

If you are actually trying to ask about the difficulty of MLC compared to C - it depends on both the person taking the exams and their exam order. The jump from MFE to C or MFE to MLC is noticeable. MLC to C or C to MLC not so much.

C is more challenging mathematically in my opinion (shoutout to Bayesian Credibility for being the hardest prelim exam material). People are more likely to fail C because they don't understand the core concepts being tested. The trick to Exam C is recognizing what distribution the question is testing, determining the parameterization of said distribution and the performing whatever procedure they want you to do.

MLC has material that is easier to digest, but the exam tests that material to the extreme. People don't fail to understand MLC's material, they just fail to pass the SOA's exam. The free-response portion of the exam is a complete game changer. They can contort anything on the syllabus into something that'll stump you.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominican View Post
Im finding ADAPT level 6+ questions to be fairly difficult. Anyone else in the same boat? Any input on real exam questions vs ADAPT level 6+?
...I'm stuck at a level 3. I'll let you know once I'm past there. (...because obviously i'll get past a level 3 asap)
Old 01-11-2017, 12:39 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 5 3rd time
College: FSU Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey View Post
How is everyone's progress?
I'm going over material with ASM again. I used IA when I first started but going over second time with ASM. Now doing adapt quizzes as I go along and adding topics into quizzes so I don't forget what I had already gone over. My worry is forgetting stuff due to amount of material on this exam not so much the problems themselves. Like already starting to forget about D(x), p-p plot, and delta method. I kind of skipped the mortality table stuff because I don't like it. I'll get back to it when I have time, I heard only like one problem on the exam on this so I may just skip it.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:44 AM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 5 3rd time
College: FSU Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaur View Post
I keep confusing censoring and truncation, I know the difference is basic but every once in a while I make a mistake. Can anyone, please explain the difference?
Just think of truncating as the deductible and censoring as the limit. Truncating is on the left because the deductible is and censoring on the right is capping at the limit. I double you'll see right truncating or left censoring on the exam but just note it's more possible to be on MLE instead.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:19 PM
SOA

Studying for Exam C
College: University of Central Missouri
Favorite beer: Summer Shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathfun View Post
I'm working through the 240 TIA practice problems and am still relying on reading through the solutions for most problems. Is anyone else in this situation? I can usually finish each problem, but getting started is what's slowing me down.
I'm using this strategy as well. I used TIA for P and FM, and used ADAPT for MFE. I found that with ADAPT, I became too obsessed with getting to the magical level 7 that I didn't focus enough on reviewing and retaining the information where I struggled. TIA has a ton of practice problems and five sample exams. This last month prior to the exam, I plan on doing all five exams and very thoroughly reviewing all of my mistakes. This strategy worked for me on P and FM, and I passed with an 8 each time. For MFE, I really struggled and barely passed.

So I am reverting back to my TIA strategy.
FAP Modules: IA | FA
Seminar: APC
Old 01-11-2017, 02:38 PM
SOA

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alumni

Does anyone know what the EL goal is for Exam C on Coaching Actuaries - like "if you reach EL x you have a y% likelihood of passing"?
ASA
Old 01-11-2017, 04:02 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaleigh1023 View Post
Does anyone know what the EL goal is for Exam C on Coaching Actuaries - like "if you reach EL x you have a y% likelihood of passing"?
EL 7 or greater has +80% chance of passing. Actuarial outpost says EL5-6 is like the actual.

PROJECT: Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC
Old 01-11-2017, 04:06 PM
SOA

Studying for C
College: Roosevelt University Alumnus '10
Favorite beer: Jawa Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbradford View Post
I'm using this strategy as well. I used TIA for P and FM, and used ADAPT for MFE. I found that with ADAPT, I became too obsessed with getting to the magical level 7 that I didn't focus enough on reviewing and retaining the information where I struggled. TIA has a ton of practice problems and five sample exams. This last month prior to the exam, I plan on doing all five exams and very thoroughly reviewing all of my mistakes. This strategy worked for me on P and FM, and I passed with an 8 each time. For MFE, I really struggled and barely passed.

So I am reverting back to my TIA strategy.
Well i really like the TIA so far and i've got it too, but i've switched over to Actex's Actuarial Empire seminar and study manuals (Actex + Actuarial Empire textbook) and it's like baby feeding me !!!

Slow and thorough just like a college course. It's perfect because this is what I did for MFE and i did extremely well, since i solidified my understandings after doing 100% of the Actex seminar. It's more $ but way more experience and knowledge. From what I've read in C forums, this exam is different in that it's the most difficult to get a solid understanding of to do well enough to pass. I'm crazy because I am also doing the ASM w/Coaching Actuaries videos. I know it's lots of money and time, but my objective is to master the syllabus!

I can cry about all the time and money after I get a "Congratulations! Preliminary results indicate your were successful in achieving a passing score"

PROJECT: Predictive Analytics
FAP
APC