Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
They aren't. Play both games and then come back to have a real discussion.
I don't understand how the visuals look the same to you. One of them is in two dimensions, after all.

Quote:
And no one's saying they are the same game. Just that they are very similar. Pay attention.
You literally said "If WoW were offline, it would be Diablo." There's backtracking if I ever saw it.

Quote:
Thanks for proving you have no argument here. So I spelled something wrong...like you've never made a typo ever in your life.
I just ask that you understand so that you can contribute to a meaningful discussion about how the two games differ. Based on your comments, I don't think you understand what it is, or how action RPGs differ from MMORPGs.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh82vette View Post
kamek some of the things you are using to describe what wow isn't are exactly what the game is.

it's definitely not a game for everyone, but you don't know too much about it
Better stick to arguments you can win.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:43 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamek85 View Post
You literally said "If WoW were offline, it would be Diablo." There's backtracking if I ever saw it.
If you actually quoted everything I said - my very next sentence was: "The gameplay/visuals/etc aren't very different." (bold face added this time for emphasis, since you either can't read, or you choose to leave stuff out to strengthen your argument). It's called context, learn it.

There's a significant amount of time between Diablo II and WoW; almost 4.5 years.. Of course they are going to look different and play somewhat different.

I'd say Final Fantasy 6 and 7 are very similar as well. Sure the stories are different, the characters are different, but if you break it down to it's basics, it's very similar.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Better stick to arguments you can win.
whatever dude, get your panties in a bunch over a video game.

it's pretty clear you've never spent much time playing wow. if you had run a few instances you would see how diablo and wow have a lot in common.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
If you actually quoted everything I said - my very next sentence was: "The gameplay/visuals/etc aren't very different." (bold face added this time for emphasis, since you either can't read, or you choose to leave stuff out to strengthen your argument). It's called context, learn it.
Or you could just avoid speaking in absolutes. That way, I'm not charged with the task of cleaning up your arguments, and you don't have to do so much backpedaling.

Quote:
There's a significant amount of time between Diablo II and WoW; almost 4.5 years.. Of course they are going to look different and play somewhat different.
That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that the two games have vastly different art direction. And yet another way to put it is that the games are belong to two entirely different subgenres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh82vette View Post
whatever dude, get your panties in a bunch over a video game.

it's pretty clear you've never spent much time playing wow. if you had run a few instances you would see how diablo and wow have a lot in common.
I had two accounts on World of WarCraft. One was an alt that I used to support the other whenever I felt I was in over my head.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
I had two accounts on World of WarCraft. One was an alt that I used to support the other whenever I felt I was in over my head.
Which was probably often, since WoW doesn't do much hand holding that you so desperately need from a video game.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyj View Post
It is official now!!

No more guessing! (Even after the obvious buyout of the domain name!)

http://blizzard.com/diablo3

What more with Starcraft2! God, I am having a gaming boner. What an orgasmic cataclysmic gaming mash-up!!

Gotta love Blizzard! I love D3!!!

The witch doctor looks freakin cool. Hopefully they r gonna do a add-on cause 5 characters seem too little to me!

However, now it seems the game is veering towards something like WoW.
Which sucks because I kinda hate WoW. Please, let it stay true to D2...
I looked at it a little and it does look pretty cool. Im not a huge fan of MMORPGs so I never got into WoW. Even if it is veering towards a WoW I am pretty sure they are going to stay pretty constant in the play style.

I think Diablo 2 was one of the greatest games I played when it came out and just about until they released the expansion. After that they changed it so in order to play much past the first difficulty and level 45 or so you pretty much had to play with a party. I really hope they put more emphasis on being able to play by yourself and not make it depend as much being in a party. I think its great to include co-op and make that enjoyable as long as they dont sacrifice single players.

Also I have never played WoW but if it is anything like other MMORPGs I would think the play styles are quite a bit different. I am sure they are a bit similar in some ways but you could probably make that argument with just about any game.

Either way we will probably still have to wait 2-4 years until it gets released anyway.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Revered
CAS AAA

Studying for the Beach
Favorite beer: Carib

HA HA you guys are arguing about WoW
curls for the girls

Spoiler:

]
Old 06-29-2008, 10:08 PM
SOA

Studying for AFE
Favorite beer: Heiny

Hi Kamek n mlschop..

we are not here to argue about the semantics of diablo and Wow..

Let's just enjoy the game that is diablo3!

IT"S AWESOME! (From the looks of it anyway)
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM
SOA

Studying for AFE
Favorite beer: Heiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldancer911 View Post

Either way we will probably still have to wait 2-4 years until it gets released anyway.
I played a little too much of it too.. LOL

Anyway, is it not in alpha or something? Since they already have the gameplay demo out?

Hopefully they get it rollin by 09! Go Go Blizzard!