Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Actuarial Jobs by State

New York  New Jersey  Connecticut  Massachusetts 
California  Florida  Texas  Illinois  Colorado

Old 01-26-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Oveur View Post
I don't see why creating tools such as this couldn't be classified as a hobby.

Btw, were you an actuarial science major?
I was
Old 01-26-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
for devastator real hobbies don't include anything creative

They actually do. For example, I started a home improvement thread last year. Before last year, I had never done anything. I studied and taught myself a lot, while improving my house and having unique ideas on how to design it. Oh, and it was practical and had value
Old 01-26-2014, 01:33 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastator View Post
They actually do. For example, I started a home improvement thread last year. Before last year, I had never done anything. I studied and taught myself a lot, while improving my house and having unique ideas on how to design it. Oh, and it was practical and had value
Cool, other than the NEST, what have you done?
Old 01-26-2014, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Cool, other than the NEST, what have you done?
I think I made a journal in my thread. I installed new lighting, upgraded shower and faucets, installed a new vanity and granite top for bathroom, mirror, and then tiny things like towel holders, toilet paper.

I also put in 3 new water saving toilets. Our old ones always ran.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:38 PM

I also did some basic flooring, but wasn't comfortable doing all that, so I did hire someone to finish my kitchen. I did do the tiny 1/2 bath and laundry room tho.
Old 01-26-2014, 01:39 PM

Studying for CFA
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
I appreciate your ability to do home improvements on your own time (I have worked on foreclosed properties myself and have learned quite a few skills). However, I still think it's unfair to say this map isn't practical and has no value. I'm sure a few people will find it useful as they search for their first job or new jobs. I figured since I was already searching for opportunities myself, I might as well make a map of places I was interested in. In doing so I found that it wouldn't be too much more work to just put all of the addresses on there!

-Riley
Old 01-26-2014, 01:51 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
I appreciate your ability to do home improvements on your own time (I have worked on foreclosed properties myself and have learned quite a few skills). However, I still think it's unfair to say this map isn't practical and has no value. I'm sure a few people will find it useful as they search for their first job or new jobs. I figured since I was already searching for opportunities myself, I might as well make a map of places I was interested in. In doing so I found that it wouldn't be too much more work to just put all of the addresses on there!

-Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:05 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:

-Riley
Good on you. Keep it up.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

-Riley
Ha, when I say practical and value, I mean to me me me!

That said, it didn't sound like it was a lot of extra work to what you started. Just remember to enjoy college!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

Quote:
Ha, when I say practical and value, I mean to me me me!

That said, it didn't sound like it was a lot of extra work to what you started. Just remember to enjoy college!
This sounds like a way of enjoying college to me.

I happen to find this interesting even though I have no intention on moving myself. Start with something and then see how it can be improved.

Tags
data science