Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Studying for my SAG card
Favorite beer: whatever other folks are buying
Default No

There may be some actuaries who are mathematicians, but it isn't because they are actuaries.

The converse is also true.

/thread
Old 10-12-2015, 10:04 PM
CAS

Studying for life.

How do you define a "mathematician"? Can't wait to see Kesha's reply to this thread.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade View Post
How do you define a "mathematician"? Can't wait to see Kesha's reply to this thread.

If you do not have a Ph.D. in mathematics you are not a mathematician. It's as simple as that.

And for all those actuaries who think they could have gotten a Ph.D. in mathematics, most of you couldn't handle that type of emotional abuse. =)
Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM
CAS AAA

Studying for naught.
Favorite beer: Butterbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kade View Post
There may be some actuaries who are mathematicians, but it isn't because they are actuaries.

The converse is also true.

/thread
This.

And I'm among those whose corporate peers hold Masters and Ph.D.s in various analytical fields.
“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
― J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGaga View Post
If you do not have a Ph.D. in mathematics you are not a mathematician. It's as simple as that.

And for all those actuaries who think they could have gotten a Ph.D. in mathematics, most of you couldn't handle that type of emotional abuse. =)
I dont think I agree with this. I think the term "mathematician" is a way to describe someone's main occupation/job/employment so having a PhD is neither necessary nor sufficient to be called a mathematician. I'd be willing to say that a mathematician is simply someone who's job is almost entirely focused on using or creating mathematics. I think you really need to spend most of your time on solving problems that have been formulated in a mathematical way.

Last edited by MathStatFin; 10-13-2015 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-13-2015, 12:06 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Tom Struppeck became a professor after having worked as an actuary after having taught for several years as a post-doc instructor.
:ifyp:
Old 10-13-2015, 12:53 PM
CAS

Some Actuaries are mathematicians.

Some Actuaries are not mathematicians.
Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
CAS

By the same token, what does it mean to be an actuary? Do you have to be a Fellow to be an actuary? I am OK with someone who does actuarial work calling themselves an actuary, although we understand it requires credentials to sign statutory statements of actuarial opinion.

PhD's in math probably don't consider actuaries to be mathematicians (unless they also have PhD's in math), but if I am at a party and someone asks what I do and who gives me a blank look after "actuary," I say "mathematician in insurance."
Old 10-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Civil Society Fresh IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytuttle View Post
By the same token, what does it mean to be an actuary? Do you have to be a Fellow to be an actuary? I am OK with someone who does actuarial work calling themselves an actuary, although we understand it requires credentials to sign statutory statements of actuarial opinion.

PhD's in math probably don't consider actuaries to be mathematicians (unless they also have PhD's in math), but if I am at a party and someone asks what I do and who gives me a blank look after "actuary," I say "mathematician in insurance."
You didn't even need that parenthetical bit. PhDs in math would probably conisder actuaries with PhDs in math to be former mathematicians, unless said actuary is one of the tiny handful wo are actually creating mathematics. And in that case, the PhD is irrelevant as a criterion (as it is in general).
Old 10-13-2015, 02:59 PM
CAS

Studying for my family

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytuttle View Post
That's a different thread that already exists.