Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

To add to Westley's post . . .

The purpose of the "behavioral" questions isn't (necessarily) to help identify the best candidate, but to help weed out candidates that "look good on paper" but don't really have the (proverbial) goods to back up the claims on paper.

Having had the responsibility for hiring in a different context, my group of decision-makers were advised to develop (good) behavioral questions to help sort out the fluff of paper-claims from those who do have the goods to back up their resume/C.V. And I found that this advice was very solid. (FTR, we've made our hiring decision and now we'll see how well it plays out in the next 6-9 months.)

With that said, there are really terrible "behavior" and "personality" questions out there. "What kind of soup are you?" is a poor question in any context of professional work unless it's for Campbell's or the Progresso division of General Mills.

But the existence (and high prevalence) of terrible "behavior/personality" questions doesn't negate that such questions are asked . . . and some of those questions are, in fact, good ones for the employer.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
"What kind of soup are you?"
RN
Old 01-16-2017, 04:17 PM
SOA

Hi guys!

So I have a second interview with a speciality P&C insurance company in NYC for an EL position in the Actuarial Development Program, and Im really not sure what to expect. Im sure there is something about this type of thing on Actuarial outpost but there is so much to wade through to find what I want to know. Any advice on what to expect in 2nd interviews? The first one was all pretty much resume specific. They interviewed 6 people for the first round, so I'm assuming theres pretty much only 1 or 2 people other than me going in for a second round (this is for 1 available position). Please let me know what you think I can expect going into this because this is all new to me. Thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2017, 04:20 PM

Honestly, the short answer is: more of the same. Most companies don't do a lot of creative things with interviewing, and you can expect to be asked about your approach to passing exams or "Tell me about a time that you were working in a team and... " - don't be surprised if some people ask the EXACT same things that you were asked previously. Occasionally, there's a wild card like an Excel test or some other challenge, but that's not common.

Westley's career tools:
Old 01-16-2017, 11:55 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for ACAS
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Sam Adams Cherry Wheat

"Second round" for EL generally equates to "same as first round, but with more, different people".

Most likely, part of your interview would involve people who may become direct coworkers.

Why should I worry about dying? It’s not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-04-2017, 02:41 PM

Posting this as a reminder for myself. Article worth reading. I will come back and comment on in the future.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/4-int...le-title-share

Westley's career tools:
Old 02-04-2017, 03:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Posting this as a reminder for myself. Article worth reading. I will come back and comment on in the future.
This guy clearly hasn't interviewed at a Google/Microsoft class of company.

They ask some behavioral questions, but the focus of their interviews is solving REALLY hard problems under time pressure on the spot. And you don't even necessarily have to get a right answer (frequently there are many right answers), but you definitely have to have an acceptable thought process for the problem. These work because candidates can't just BS their way to an answer; there is some prep you can do to prepare for these kinds of interviews, but it's much harder to "beat the system".
Old 02-04-2017, 05:05 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
That was a good read. Thanks.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-04-2017, 05:09 PM
SOA

Favorite beer: Corona :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxedo Cat View Post
This guy clearly hasn't interviewed at a Google/Microsoft class of company.

They ask some behavioral questions, but the focus of their interviews is solving REALLY hard problems under time pressure on the spot. And you don't even necessarily have to get a right answer (frequently there are many right answers), but you definitely have to have an acceptable thought process for the problem. These work because candidates can't just BS their way to an answer; there is some prep you can do to prepare for these kinds of interviews, but it's much harder to "beat the system".
Because ultimately those companies only truly care about results. You could probably test as a sociopath and work at google if you were competent enough.

Most other companies do not operate like that. They don't need supreme competence. They need someone who they can work with, who shows they are flexible and can handle the work. And usually, being able to work with people causes issues to arise, so you also want a candidate with a high enough emotional IQ that they can deal with that as well.
“Stupidity is a more dangerous enemy of the good than malice. Against stupidity we are defenseless. Neither protests nor the use of force accomplish anything here; reasons fall on deaf ears; facts that contradict one’s prejudgment simply need not be believed – in such moments the stupid person even becomes critical – and when facts are irrefutable they are just pushed aside as inconsequential, as incidental. For that reason, greater caution is called for when dealing with a stupid person than with a malicious one".
Old 02-04-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas66Kent View Post
Because ultimately those companies only truly care about results. You could probably test as a sociopath and work at google if you were competent enough.

Most other companies do not operate like that. They don't need supreme competence. They need someone who they can work with, who shows they are flexible and can handle the work. And usually, being able to work with people causes issues to arise, so you also want a candidate with a high enough emotional IQ that they can deal with that as well.
You're sort of right but emotional IQ isn't something you can objectively measure. Some people just choose to be *******s and are aware that they're being unpleasant. It's not like they can't shut it down and be docile.