Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM
CAS SOA

Default Is it okay to have 5 to 7 exams by graduation with no (or only internship) experience

I posted a thread here alluding to that: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=317727

Doing a little more forum browsing, I've been getting mixed responses. As long as I am willing to work the standard entry-level salary in spite of having more exams (which of course I am), will it still be a deal-breaker for a lot of companies?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:03 AM
SOA

You need FSA/FCAS by graduation to be employable, so no.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:05 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
SOA

Of course it's okay, but there a lot of factors to consider. If I were interviewing you, I'd look into what else you did in college. Is this guy a hermit and won't work well with people? If so, then they probably wouldn't fit well here. Is the person just a genius and just happened to breeze through the exams? Did the person just spend all their free time in college studying like a weirdo?
Old 01-04-2017, 11:25 AM
CAS SOA

I asked on another forum and they all downvoted me saying that a lot of companies won't want to hire me.

Sounds like BS though because lurking through the old threads here, most people said it was fine.

If it's not going to be as much of a problem, I'd rather speed through as many exams as possible while I'm in college.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:50 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

It's fine. Yes, there may be a few places that do an auto-reject because the exam/experience combo is outside the ranges they have in their job description, but they are very few, and you probably don't want to get involved with a place that rigid anyway.

TOTALLY agree that you need to demonstrate some people skills when you have an unusual resume that indicates possible issues in that area. If you have them, it should be easy to demonstrate them in an interview situation, but be sure to put one or two items on your resume that demonstrate your ability to work with people (extra curriculars, your internships, etc.) I think the "too many exams is bad" myth gets perpetuated when people get told that the reason they were rejected was "too many exams for an entry level position" because it's more polite than "you have no social skills".

But it sounds from your last post that passing a lot of exams is something you would LIKE to do, as opposed to something you have accomplished. Once you sit for them, the question may become moot.

Last edited by Maine-iac; 01-04-2017 at 12:01 PM..
Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post
It's fine. Yes, there may be a few places that do an auto-reject because the exam/experience combo is outside the ranges they have in their job description, but they are very few, and you probably don't want to get involved with a place that rigid anyway.

TOTALLY agree that you need to demonstrate some people skills when you have an unusual resume that indicates possible issues in that area. If you have them, it should be easy to demonstrate them in an interview situation, but be sure to put one or two items on your resume that demonstrate your ability to work with people (extra curriculars, your internships, etc.) I think the "too many exams is bad" myth gets perpetuated when people get told that the reason they were rejected was "too many exams for an entry level position" because it's more polite than "you have no social skills".

But is sounds from your last post that passing a lot of exams is something you would LIKE to do, as opposed to something you have accomplished. Once you sit for them, the question may become moot.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3d Anonymous View Post
I posted a thread here alluding to that: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...d.php?t=317727

Doing a little more forum browsing, I've been getting mixed responses. As long as I am willing to work the standard entry-level salary in spite of having more exams (which of course I am), will it still be a deal-breaker for a lot of companies?
I was in a similiar boat once.

Many companies will auto-reject you. Many companies will give you greater consideration. On net, this was advantageous for me. I ended up with many more interviews and offers than I would have otherwise.

Haters always gonna hate, telling you not to over-achieve. Ignore them. Only follow the vanilla template if you want a vanilla career.

Caveat 1: My experiences happened almost a decade ago and I don't know how true my experiences would hold up in today's market.

Caveat 2: This is only looking at one factor in isolation. Exams aren't everything.

--AO Fan

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.

So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it.

--jas66kent

The stock market is going to go up significantly due to Trump Economics

--jas66kent

Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM
CAS

> 4 exams before graduation is silly. If you really can breeze through them, you'll be better off passing on the company's dime. The difference in starting position from 4 to 7 exams will most likely be negligible. Do other things in college that could help you land a job once you pass 4.
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
You ought to see the bush. It's impressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikachu
10:53 pm: some ppl dont take advices well
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayo fan
9:45 pm: ao fan would be hot covered in mayo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikelfritz
if you'd like I can come visit and dress up like a girl and get in some fights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaner3339 View Post
i think everyone needs to do this type of thing to get a dose of reality and straighten people up. it's kinda like going to the mountains and becoming a monk except it's with hundreds of potatoes and a lot of stoners with tattoos in a kitchen
Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine-iac View Post

But it sounds from your last post that passing a lot of exams is something you would LIKE to do, as opposed to something you have accomplished. Once you sit for them, the question may become moot.

--AO Fan

Lucky for you I was raised by people with a good moral center because if that were not the case, you guys would be in a lot of trouble.

So be very, very glad people like me exist. Your future basically depends on it.

--jas66kent

--jas66kent

Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionWalter View Post
> 4 exams before graduation is silly. If you really can breeze through them, you'll be better off passing on the company's dime.
If you are making a $$$ argument, this is completely missing the forest for the trees. Sure, the upfront cost is a little higher but you can rise more quickly since all your peers will be stuck taking exams while you can rock your work.

Quote:
The difference in starting position from 4 to 7 exams will most likely be negligible.
True but a non-factor

Quote:
Do other things in college that could help you land a job once you pass 4.
This is possibly true depending on what your resume looks like.

--AO Fan

--jas66kent

--jas66kent