Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 07-27-2005, 11:17 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Or, if you just want to get to it easily, keep it in your "subscribed threads" if you maintain that list. Since you posted to the thread, it automatically goes on your list unless you "unsubcribe it".

Then you can get to the thread via clicking on "user CP" "view subscribed threads".
Old 07-29-2005, 10:30 AM

here's a question: What sort of career opportunities are there beyond insurers? Banks? Would we be doing the similar stuffs here too?
Old 07-29-2005, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember
here's a question: What sort of career opportunities are there beyond insurers? Banks? Would we be doing the similar stuffs here too?
Brokers, Insureres, and consulting is 90+% of the field. Plus some rating bureaus and state departments of insurance.

Banks and I-Banks and rating agencies (AM Best, Fitch, Moody's, S&P) and a few other financial service firms as well, but it's small.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:58 AM

I still don't have a job, but I thought I'd post a couple of opinions/things I found important:

Two questions that are more likely to be asked in a phone interview than any other are "why do you want to be an actuary?" and "tell me about someone difficult that you've worked with"

Regardless, you need to be able to give good, intelligent answers to questions on phone interviews, but it seems like you'll only get an in person interview if you have an interesting, enjoyable conversation and you can get the person to like you. Without fail, if I got off the phone and felt like I was just talking to a friend they called me in, and when I didn't feel like that I didn't get an interview.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:18 AM

really helpful!!!

thanks a lot
Old 10-25-2005, 05:50 PM

Jack...Im in on the tail end of this, but I can't believe a headhunter has not landed you a spot? Didn't you say you had an exam and a degree?
Old 10-25-2005, 11:02 PM

I actually have two exams, but no I haven't had much luck with recruiters. I had an interview yesterday though, maybe it'll be my turn to get the job this time.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:38 PM

How many recruiters have you contacted?
How long have you been out of school?
Do you have any intern experience?
Are you restricted by location?
Old 10-28-2005, 10:22 AM

2, 3 years, no, no. I think it's a combination of little things and the fact that each time I'm close to getting picked there's just someone better than me. I think I'll get hired eventually but I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for looking.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackj109
2, 3 years, no, no. I think it's a combination of little things and the fact that each time I'm close to getting picked there's just someone better than me. I think I'll get hired eventually but I'm starting to lose my enthusiasm for looking.
Critical piece of information in that post above: that not only do you have to be qualified for the position, but you have to be the best candidate available for the position.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.

Last edited by Dr T Non-Fan; 08-04-2008 at 07:31 PM..