Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

2016 ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 11-27-2005, 11:02 PM

Another thing to remember about the pauses; you said it was a group interview. Unfortunately, these can be tricky from and interviewers side too. Each member of the group has their own agenda and its often difficult to be prepared before hand because it eliminates natural flow and comes off as separate choppy drilling of a candidate. I have experience being on the group interviewer side and it can be extremely difficult, especially when the group isn't all a particular type of personality. I don't really have any advice to solving it from an interviewees perspective, but wanted to let you know to try and relax and sound confident. I guess as said above let them lead you; one of them will eventually break the silence and my experience is it won't count against you - they know its rough and they are responsible for a degree of the akwardness.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:41 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

there is almost always a delay in the discission when a conference call is used. either that or people talk over each other. if you are trying hard to be formal and polite, the pauses are unavoidable. as westley said, answer their questions, and stop. if you need to elaborate, do so. if not, remain silent (google "miranda rights").
Old 12-30-2005, 06:39 PM

nice job! wish i read this before i started interviewing.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:25 PM

Heres a question regarding the rant about people complaining about not being able to find a job when theyve only sent out 5 resumes a week.

Ive heard this from another person, but when shown the jobs on the market the person wants me to send out resumes for jobs asking for people 10x more qualified than I. Like they specifically ask for 5 years experience or something like that... the number of jobs that say they are looking for entry level are few and far between. Now I can see people who say "looking for a year experience" hiring someone that is entry level if that person just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

But 5 yrs experience? Whats the point of sending out 200 resumes a week if you know ahead of time that only 5 of them actually have a chance of being taken seriously? And when I look for actuarial jobs that seem like I have a decent chance of getting, 5 a week seems to be more than whats there.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Lots of companies hire for lots of positions and never advertise them at all. If you want a job, you need to find them. There's plenty of threads on the board about exactly how to do that.

In fact, I would guess that a very large majority of entry level jobs are never advertised in any publicly available venue (monster, company website, etc). They are commonly advertised on campus, but that's it.

Agree with your comments on experience - if they say that they are looking for a year or two, they might take you, if they say five or ten, you have no chance, at least for that specific position.

Westley's career tools:
Old 01-22-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissoxx
Heres a question regarding the rant about people complaining about not being able to find a job when theyve only sent out 5 resumes a week.
Looked back was trying to find this rant. Just curious as to who originally posted it. I have my suspicions, but was just curious. Sounds like he's probably kind of a jerk.

Westley's career tools:
Old 01-22-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley
Looked back was trying to find this rant. Just curious as to who originally posted it. I have my suspicions, but was just curious. Sounds like he's probably kind of a jerk.
Forget it, I found it, it's on the first page. Yup, it was me.

Westley's career tools:
Old 01-28-2006, 03:41 PM

Default Stacks of resumes

If you want to take a look at literally thousands of resumes to see examples, peruse <http://newyork.craigslist.org/res/>. Lots of examples of both bad and good.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:59 PM

Anyways, I'm giving up. A switch went off in my brain and I realized I don't want to chase after this anymore. It's funny because I finally realized it's just a matter of time before I was hired. I've been close enough enough times.

I think I just started along this path because I thought as a math major it was the only way to make real money and have an "important" job. But the further I get in my "pay the rent" career, I see it's not true. There's always a place for smart people who can problem solve and who know how to make sense of data.

The thing I'm most excited about now is being able to live anywhere. I spent a lot of time trying to brainwash myself into thinking I wanted to live places where I really didn't, just to try and get a job.

so thanks actuarial outpost, bye bye.

please see my EXAM M post for GREAT DEALS on EXCITING PRODUCTS!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 AM
CAS SOA COPA

Favorite beer: Westmalle Tripel

Unf'believable. So much work and the road ends here?