Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
SOA

Studying for none
College: MIT
Favorite beer: Sam Adams
Default An Introduction to MimeTex

For those who wish to format math questions on the web using super and subscripting, try using the Tex tags. Tom has been kind enough to import MimeTeX to this site. One thing I cannot yet do with it is make those clever angle brackets for terms certain.

You may see some good samples of how this works at the
MimeTex Site , which is a public domain site and I don't believe I am hotlinking.

Here's a basic intro. superscripts

x^2
ex:

Greek Letters
\mu
ex:

Subscripts are done by _. You can put both into a sum or integral. \sum is for summation and \int is for integration. Put special functions like sine, cos and log with backslashes before their name to typeset them correctly.
\infty is infinity
ex:

ex: if

More examples can be found on the website, where you can click on an expression and see the tags that generate it.

Grouping can be done with curly braces.

ex:

I hope this brief introduction, combined with the link, will make posting math questions on the web a little bit clearer and easier.

Last edited by ACCtuary; 02-12-2006 at 11:26 PM..
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM
SOA

This might also be helpful: http://web.ift.uib.no/Fysisk/Teori/K...eX/symALL.html
Old 11-11-2006, 01:10 AM
SOA

A much more comprehensive (but much longer list) http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/info...ols-letter.pdf
Old 12-07-2006, 03:21 PM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

Any tips on installation? The readme file isn't much help. I'm a little lost about executing the "cc -DAA ..." command, for example.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Note Contributor
SOA

Studying for nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjengs View Post
Any tips on installation? The readme file isn't much help. I'm a little lost about executing the "cc -DAA ..." command, for example.
Are you trying to use mimeTeX on the board or do you want a LaTeX installation on your home computer?

If you just want to be able to make your notation nicer looking on the Actuarial Outpost, you just need to put {tex} {/tex} tags around it (substitute [] for {}). So {tex}e^x{/tex} becomes etc. After that, look at the mimeTeX site for examples of how to markup different formulas with LaTeX notation to make them look the way you want.

If you want to install a LaTeX distribution on your home computer, get started at www.latex-project.org. If you're running a PC download ProText and follow along. Installation is relatively painless and there are some good getting started documents around to get you headed in the right direction.

If you are running a bulletin board of your own and want to add mimeTeX capabilities to it, you'll need to ask Tom for some help. But as far as I know mimeTeX won't help you do any sort of math typesetting outside of an internet bulletin board, so if you just want to have nice looking formulas in your own work away from the AO, see the previous paragraph and that should get you started.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:30 AM
CAS SOA

Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

Thanks, nd, that's all what I needed to know. Mostly for AO purposes but I'm sure I'll put the rest to use.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
SOA

You can also read about LaTeX here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX if you follow all (or most) links at the bottom, you should have a much better idea as to how to use it. A lot of math faculty uses LaTeX or something similar to write all their papers / class notes. Some universities even have classes on how to use it.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:54 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazodev View Post
A lot of math faculty uses LaTeX or something similar to write all their papers / class notes.
i was under the impression it was the standard. that is more than "a lot". it's pretty fun to use, and works really really well.
Old 10-28-2007, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
i was under the impression it was the standard. that is more than "a lot". it's pretty fun to use, and works really really well.
LOL you're responding to a post almost a year old?
Old 10-29-2007, 12:50 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

which is odd. for the life of me I can't imagine how I found it. I usually just use the new posts search and go through them.

odd.

2007 is going to be a great year for me. I can feel it.