Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

View Poll Results: What is the best way to learn VBA?
Book 107 36.27%
Help 48 16.27%
Internet 147 49.83%
Macro Recorder 112 37.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 295. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2006, 11:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
I had similar uses. Did you use copulas?

Brad
People actually use copulas? I thought it was just what stats Phds wrote about when they ran out of ideas...
Old 08-14-2006, 05:06 AM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazodev View Post
People actually use copulas? I thought it was just what stats Phds wrote about when they ran out of ideas...
DFA. Very useful for several lines or benefits that have correlated random variables. Shaun Wang, FCAS wrote a superb (and practical) paper on copulas a few years ago that should be mandatory reading for anyone planning to model correlated risks:
http://www.casact.org/dare/index.cfm...w&abstrID=3400

Brad

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater
Old 08-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazodev View Post
:ctm:
My thoughts exactly!

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Aug 15, 2017.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
MORE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow View Post
Complementing your technical skills with social skills - whatever they are - will help your career. This is not a sign that the world is unjust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro View Post
I recommend you get perspective.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
Dude, you can't fail a personality test. It just isn't that kind of test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locrian View Post
I'm disappointed I don't get to do both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
It's SO much better to work for a good manager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
slow down
Old 08-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gile View Post
I had similar uses. Did you use copulas?

Brad
I have programmed them, never used them in practice.

I find they are to hard to fit.

And Shaun Wang's papers in general are a must read IMO.

(Though I have never seen this one, thanks!)
Old 09-14-2006, 07:06 AM

Favorite beer: Anything that defiles myself

I'm in the process of learning VBA right now. I have bought an online self-paced bundle of desktop applications that include Access, Excel, VBA, and others.

The lesson format gives you the choice of full tutotiral, guided, or let me try. The let me try has the option of a hint button if you get stuck. After the main lesson, a multiple choice quiz is given at the end.

After using Excel in an internship without any formal training, I love these tutorials.

Old 12-04-2006, 03:38 PM
AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Gambler View Post
I'll rank my choices.

1. Good book. Any of the VBA books by Walkebach will do. This will help you write clean, readable code.

2. VBA Help files. Type what you want to do in help. They have some good examples.

3. Internet. Google it or post your question on a discussion board.

Avoid the macro recorder until you have honed your skills. It writes sloppy code and there is no macro recorder in Access.
I looked at the Walkebach link and the books are for Excel. Am I correct to assume that a lot will carryover into Access?
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
CAS

I am learning how to use Excel VBA. So far, it seems, well,...rudimentary--in comparsion to what I know how to do with Mathematica. But it's clear that you can create non-mathematical programs in VBA, and if the industry is expecting it as part of my skill set, then so be it.

Some time ago I wrote a Mathematica program that solved Sudoku puzzles through recursive application of rule-based manipulation and process of elimination, much in the way that humans do--rather than by brute force guessing. Mathematica also has better handling of numerical error--years ago, I once tried to do a nonlinear fit in Excel that resulted in a numerically unstable result, whereas Mathematica did it perfectly. I should hope Excel has evolved since then to handle such situations better.

I wonder why Mathematica is not used in the actuarial field...? Is it the price? Is it the lack of relevance? Is it because Excel is used by non-actuarial sectors to visually organize and manipulate data?

Think of it like a movie. The Torah is the first one, and the New Testament is the sequel. Then the Qu'ran comes out, and it retcons the last one like it never happened. There's still Jesus, but he's not the main character anymore, and the messiah hasn't shown up yet.

Jews like the first movie but ignored the sequels, Christians think you need to watch the first two, but the third movie doesn't count, Moslems think the third one was the best, and Mormons liked the second one so much they started writing fanfiction that doesn't fit with ANY of the series canon."

-RandomFerret
Old 12-13-2006, 08:25 AM
SOA

For things like nonlinear fits, I would recommend using SAS or something similar. I think of using Excel in actuarial field as mostly a nice way to present / summarize data. Just like I would use access for database manipulation and SAS (or something similar) for heavy duty statistics. I think Mathematica is expensive (probably on par with SAS so that's not really a good argument) but I don't know of any statistical task that SAS can't do but Mathematica can (not sure about vice versa).
Old 12-20-2006, 03:08 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just discovered that if I put the cursor on a word in my VBA program (e.g. GetFileName) and press F1, the help screen regarding that method/function/object/whatever comes up.

This is much faster than digging through the help for language reference | methods | G | GetFileName.

Or, just type a keyword temporarily and backspace and hit F1 to quickly get help about it.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for whatever I feel like
College: Alumnus of Brown and UW-Madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I just discovered that if I put the cursor on a word in my VBA program (e.g. GetFileName) and press F1, the help screen regarding that method/function/object/whatever comes up.

This is much faster than digging through the help for language reference | methods | G | GetFileName.

Or, just type a keyword temporarily and backspace and hit F1 to quickly get help about it.
Yup, that's indispensable. Get all VBA shortcut keys at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/VBAShortcutKeys.htm

Brad

Spoiler:
Obama sucks and we all know it-TDA

Spoiler:

That's been the funniest subplot of this whole thing, the people on the left attacking this bill for not being even more of a steaming pile. - erosewater