Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions > Bridge
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Bridge Sub-Forums: Frequency and Severity

Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Procrastinator wins 5-way with the only + score, +20.34. Numbers nerd wins 4-way with +6.75. Procrastinator wins unnoteworthy 2-way by 10.

Klaymen wins 2-way by 7 that was unremarkable at his table ,but may have had the worst declarer play and bidding ever at mine. Declarer ( me) with a diamond suit (spades trump) of QJ7xx opposite K8x lost the first THREE rounds of diamonds without a ruff. Ducked round 1 (misclick), lost the K to the ace, the (distracted by trick 1) ducked rhos 9, knowing I could not win the trick. Cost more than I lost the match by.

worst bidding. My RHO hears 1C by me - P - 1H. he has AKQJ9875. X. AKx. X. He doubles, I pass, his CHO bids 1S, my partner passes, and he????

Passes. Had I passed, that would have won the match. Unaware, I bid 2C, and after P-P, he bid 4S, cold for 5, his partner holding xx in diamonds and spades.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:07 PM
CAS

Studying for this space for rent

Des Moines sectional update:
1st out of 30
4th out of 16
7th out of 33
4th out of 24
1st out of 5 teams
2nd/3rd out of 5 teams

In the last three Des Moines sectionals, Toby and I hit the overalls 19 times out of 20 and got a section award the one time we missed the overalls.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:28 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new challenges issued. I better bid and play better than in today's sectional (we were 4th of 13 teams in the top bracket of a Bracketed under 5000 Swiss).

Also I need to play more precisely than I issue challenges. Two 5-ways had to be scrapped and reissued, one because I had btdt and the AO id Klaymen in the same one rather than separated. Then another because I realized I had invited the BBO id Klaymen instead of the AO id Klaymen.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:20 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NN at +12.25 wins the 5-way including Klaymen, who was a close second at +10. procrastinator beats me in a 2-way by 2. Klaymen beats me in a 2-way by 17, which perhaps should have been only -3. He and I each reach a very poor 3NT, which has a chance, still not a good one, when we win the opening heart lead with the stiff Q. It's clear to me what the best line is if the opponents will defend well. It's also clear to me that in a typical club game a different line is better. I knowingly try the line that primarily requires misdefense. Alas for me, the cards are such that no way they can misdefend. (Primarily, I played for AK of spades split, and declarer's RHO playing second hand low. Which he shouldn't; he should rise and knock out declarer's heart stop while leader has an entry. But club defenders often misdefend with split spade honors, but not when second hand has A and K). Meanwhile Klaymen instead went after diamonds and could not be beaten as the cards lie.

The 5-way including btdt isn't over until 11 PM tonight, but I'm reissuing the challenges that are complete.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:19 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does +5.25 win a 5-way? Somehow NN did it.

I won a 2-way with procrastinator by 14, 10 of those primarily by luck when LHO led the heart Q at both tables against our (opps silent) 1NT - 2C - 2D - 3NT auction when our hearts were K1043 vs A87. We both went after hearts at trick 2, him leading to the 10, me running the 7. His play is likely better, picking up 4 tricks if the lead was QJx spot, me winning 4 only if LHO fails to cover with QJ9x, both getting at least 3 as long as Q was from QJ anything.

In fact my play worked in an unexpected way since it left RHO unable to continue hearts at trick 3, whereas his RHO could continue with the 9.

Either of us would have easily made 9 or more tricks had the heart Q been from QJ.

I've completed a 2-way vs Klaymen, but he hasn't. New challenges tomorrow probably, possibly later today.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:39 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. Destroyed -26 by Klaymen, in a match with 13 pushes and nothing clearly wrong.

Lost 10 because I opened 1D instead of 1NT on xx A10 AKQJx Q982. We defended 4H, making; we could make 4S. 1NT certainly reasonable, but 1D also reasonable.

Lost 6 for them making 4C when at Klaymen's table it went down. Can't be beat by force, but not automatic to make. I think my defense marginally better, but shouldn't have mattered until my CHO said "here, have a contract".

Lost 9 for passing partner's 1S opening with xxxx Kxx xxx J10x, leading to my opps making 3NT when Klaymen's 1NT led to him defending 4H + 1. OK, probably 1NT is superior, but P is not clearly wrong. (It was favorable, so maybe P is clearly wrong.)

New challenges issued.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably should have won all the challenges.

Did win the 5-way involving Klaymen with +18.50, less than 2 ahead of procrastinator. Beat procrastinator in a 2-way by all of 2. But lost to Klaymen in a 2-way by 1, due to a misclick that probably CHO should have saved. (Not sure what options CHO had, but he did bid 6C, knowing it was off 2 aces and that neither of us had a void. 5S or 5NT would have made).

Provisionally I'm +20 in the other 5-way, which must have a shot at winning.
Old 01-20-2020, 11:29 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve White View Post
Provisionally I'm +20 in the other 5-way, which must have a shot at winning.
The provisional +20 held up, but procrastinator won with +22.

I'll issue new challenges now.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:19 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the 5-way challenges, both completed by only 4, I won one with +24.67. Procrastinator won the other with +14.67.

In 2-ways, I beat procrastinator by 30 and Klaymen by 4.

’m issuing new challenges.
Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Numbers Nerd wins both group challenges, with a +16.75 and a +17.67.

Memo to self: participating in challenges while traveling may be a mistake. I was -8 and -7 in those group challenges, and -35 to Klaymen (with only one disaster for choosing a call before hovering to see what bot would think it meant) and -10 to procrastinator.

New challenges issued, and I am back home so I may need to think of a different excuse.