Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > MFE
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM
CAS

Studying for C

Weird that they still haven't released the passing percentages or list of passing candidate names...
Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM
CAS

College: UNC-Chapel Hill Alum
Favorite beer: Red Oak

Seriously. Get with it. Doesn't affect me, but I know some people who won't get their raises until that list is made public.
COP
Old 05-18-2017, 02:29 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
Seriously. Get with it. Doesn't affect me, but I know some people who won't get their raises until that list is made public.
Really? Some companies don't accept the printout? Are the online transcripts not updated yet? Isn't that the only way to find out your score?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:56 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALivelySedative View Post
Yeah. I thought I killed the actual exam though. Still, not really sad about a pass.
Yup! The raise is usually just as much, and it counts just as much towards associateship/fellowship. I think I did about as well as I though I did. I was hoping to squeak by with a 9, but 8 is probably more how I felt it went.

So, have you started on the next one? Exam 5, is it? CAS side?
Old 05-19-2017, 01:06 AM
SOA

Studying for C
College: UT Austin Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravesandfalcons View Post
Got a 4 after getting a 4 the last time. Not sure what to make of that.
Maybe feeling a bit burnt out? It certainly can happen. Take a little break (as long as it doesn't turn into a long break!), and maybe start again. Although, I guess the next exam window is already coming up. Maybe change up your study routine? Don't give up. You'll make it.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:58 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Really? Some companies don't accept the printout? Are the online transcripts not updated yet? Isn't that the only way to find out your score?
You are correct. The transcripts are what's needed. I think I was thinking about the idea that names and transcripts are usually released on the same day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
Yup! The raise is usually just as much, and it counts just as much towards associateship/fellowship. I think I did about as well as I though I did. I was hoping to squeak by with a 9, but 8 is probably more how I felt it went.

So, have you started on the next one? Exam 5, is it? CAS side?
I'm taking OC1 next week, then I'll get more into studying for Exam 5 in October.
COP
Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM
CAS SOA

College: Georgia State University

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLife View Post
Maybe feeling a bit burnt out? It certainly can happen. Take a little break (as long as it doesn't turn into a long break!), and maybe start again. Although, I guess the next exam window is already coming up. Maybe change up your study routine? Don't give up. You'll make it.
The thing is I'm working a job that I do not like and it is very unlikely that I'll find a new one without passing another exam. I need to get this done quickly so I can get a jump start on applications.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM
CAS

After several sittings, the material is in your head. Just get Adapt and flat out grind problems. Your issue is likely to do with the questions being asked, whether it be styling, interpretation, or missing the 'tricks' they can throw out. Starting out, don't even bother actually solving the whole problem. Set up whatever equation you think will lead you to the correct answer, and compare it with the solution's approach. That way you can get through vastly more questions. With a month to go (or so) actually solve them all the way out. If you just begin to have problems at that point, then it's a computational issue or something along those lines.
COP
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
College: Florida State University Alumni

I was the guy who was certain that I had failed before submitting, then ended up passing somehow. I assumed that I got the lowest possible passing score that day, but I just checked and ended up getting a 9...

I couldn't get higher than a 22/30 on countless L4 exams, and failed all 3 of the L5 exams that I took the week before my sitting. I'm about to go buy a few lottery tickets today, because apparently I got all 6 of my guessed questions correct.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganRFSU View Post
I was the guy who was certain that I had failed before submitting, then ended up passing somehow. I assumed that I got the lowest possible passing score that day, but I just checked and ended up getting a 9...

I couldn't get higher than a 22/30 on countless L4 exams, and failed all 3 of the L5 exams that I took the week before my sitting. I'm about to go buy a few lottery tickets today, because apparently I got all 6 of my guessed questions correct.
COP