Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 7 (new) - Estimation of Policy Liability & ERM
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM
CAS

Three days left to submit appeals.

I sent in two, both on question 10.

1. I don't believe that the sample answer graph for 10(a) can result from the bootstrap process on the syllabus when calendar-year effects are in play, but a ton of other shapes can.
2. I dispute the # of residual points required in the graphs for both parts.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:21 PM
CAS

Regarding question 25.b.: I am not convinced that a capital infusion would increase overall demand of insurance. I could see a policyholder preferring a better capitalized insurer relative to other insurers. But if the entire industry receives a capital infusion, I don't see more people seeking insurance. Even if that was the case, the elasticity would be so small the demand curve would hardly move.

I can't find anything online that cites industry capitalization rates as a determinant of insurance demand. Does anyone see support for this CAS model solution in Brehm? I don't have the study kit at the moment.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:37 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
Non-Actuary

Studying for Viticulture dissertation
College: Grape and Wine Institute
Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by |B|rad View Post
Three days left to submit appeals.

I sent in two, both on question 10.

1. I don't believe that the sample answer graph for 10(a) can result from the bootstrap process on the syllabus when calendar-year effects are in play, but a ton of other shapes can.
2. I dispute the # of residual points required in the graphs for both parts.
Sure you can come up with examples with different numbers of points (aside from the one incrementing by 1), but I feel like it's less obvious unless you explicitly state why it's the case. It's reasonable to assume that the graders would otherwise think it was an oversight.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:50 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Sure you can come up with examples with different numbers of points (aside from the one incrementing by 1), but I feel like it's less obvious unless you explicitly state why it's the case. It's reasonable to assume that the graders would otherwise think it was an oversight.
Can you show heteroscedasticity by age using the same number of residuals at each of ages 12, 24, 36, 48? Yes.

Is it reasonable to have the same number of residuals at each of those ages? Yes.

Am I (or anyone else) to be punished because I haven't spent my entire career reserving Auto PD for Mississippi, where every triangle looks exactly the same and my bootstrapping residuals by age always go 6, 5, 4, 3? I answered the question asked. If they had supplied a triangle and I gave the wrong number, then I wouldn't argue.

Tags
gbmisag, thankswilly, we shall pass, willy id do anything