Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 11-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Milgram View Post
Not trolling. Really want to know because I read exclusively on the iPhone and wonder whether there is a better alternative. I like having my books with me wherever I go. And turning pages is effortless and there's always enough light. I don't have to be reaching for another gadget when I'm trying to be quiet while my partner is asleep.

But I might benefit more from an exclusive reading device. The iphone can be distracting when you have many push notifications like I have. But the thumb fatigue is a turn off.
Being an iPhone owner, I'm sure you've already considered an iPad and ruled that out. What service are you using to read books? iBooks, Kindle, or B&N? With the iPhone or iPad, you have all 3, but if you go with a dedicated device you'll be limited to only one without rooting.

For people that want to be able to read all major services but have ruled out the iPad for whatever reason, it might be best to wait and see if a general-purpose Android tablet arrives to meet your needs (at a reasonable cost).

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
SOA

Studying for the rest of my life

E, you are wrong. You do not have to root the Nook to read Kindle books. There can't be less than three posts telling you that today.

**** Juan.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:30 PM
SOA

I can't imagine anyone choosing the iPad if reading books is their primary goal. That thing is too heavy imo.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by E View Post
Interesting. Didn't know that about DRM. I'm sure that will change. DRM never lasts forever.
With the multi-platform access to Kindle books on demand, the Kindle DRM I don't think is all that big of a target for hackers to challenge it.
Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleDot View Post
E, you are wrong. You do not have to root the Nook to read Kindle books. There can't be less than three posts telling you that today.
I've missed them. I did a quick Google search, and it sounds like the only way to read Kindle books on the Nook is by rooting, hacking, or going through some file conversion process.

Personally, I'd rather be reading my e-reader than hacking it. But that's just me.

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Core | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM

Favorite beer: The one in my hand

Maybe some publishers are different, I have had success just putting the files on there. Only disadvantage is its not OTA. I never rooted my nook.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:40 PM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley Milgram View Post
Not trolling. Really want to know because I read exclusively on the iPhone and wonder whether there is a better alternative. I like having my books with me wherever I go. And turning pages is effortless and there's always enough light. I don't have to be reaching for another gadget when I'm trying to be quiet while my partner is asleep.

But I might benefit more from an exclusive reading device. The iphone can be distracting when you have many push notifications like I have. But the thumb fatigue is a turn off.
Alright, I'm not sure what people are talking about with thumb fatigue but the Kindle is extremely easy to turn, its lightweight, and the only thing you might need is a small reading light for bed. Reading on the Kindle is going to be far, far better than reading on the iPhone. Plus Amazon has a pretty liberal return policy, so you could do a test run for 30 days to see what you think.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADrunkDriver View Post
Maybe some publishers are different, I have had success just putting the files on there. Only disadvantage is its not OTA. I never rooted my nook.
What kind of files?

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 PM

I haven't checked recently, but the Kindle used to be the worst of the major e-readers, both in terms of not being able to play common formats and having drm locked content that wouldn't work with other players. Have they improved lately?
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
I haven't checked recently, but the Kindle used to be the worst of the major e-readers, both in terms of not being able to play common formats and having drm locked content that wouldn't work with other players. Have they improved lately?
They don't support epub to date.

Personally, I couldn't care less. Getting a library epub book is low on importance to me, and that is about the only value that I really see in the ePub format.