Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
Netflix-style books for your Kindle via Amazon Prime. Awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.htm...pf_rd_i=507846
I've long considered the Kindle to be a swindle, with Amazon's ability to delete stuff without your consent, but this could get me on board. With this deal, at least they're not pretending that you own the books, and I already have Prime.

However, if this turns out to be like Netflix streaming, where only the unpopular titles are available, I'll be less than impressed.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:28 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
I've long considered the Kindle to be a swindle, with Amazon's ability to delete stuff without your consent, but this could get me on board. With this deal, at least they're not pretending that you own the books, and I already have Prime.

However, if this turns out to be like Netflix streaming, where only the unpopular titles are available, I'll be less than impressed.

They did that once...and they restored the removed books and gave refunds AFAIK. People only continued to whine because they had "notes" in it that were now gone forever.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
They did that once...
With a pirated title that violated copyright.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:39 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post

You should note that none of the big 7 have signed on thus far but it sounds like Amazon is being very, very accommodating to try to lure them in. They do have many NYT best sellers in there though.

They do have What to Expect When You're Expecting if you need to know what to expect when you're expecting.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:07 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahow View Post
You should note that none of the big 7 have signed on thus far but it sounds like Amazon is being very, very accommodating to try to lure them in. They do have many NYT best sellers in there though.

They do have What to Expect When You're Expecting if you need to know what to expect when you're expecting.
There are enough books on there are my "to do list" that I finally signed up for Amazon Prime over the weekend.

First book I downloaded was Moneyball.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Stone 11th Anniversary Ale

The new Nook Color was just announced. 11.5 hours reading time, 9 hours video, most kids and magazines on the market, 1Ghz and 1gb of RAM, plus a new screen by LG that is supposed to be pretty awesome.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/07/live-f...-tablet-event/
Old 11-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/...e-ipad-killer/

Quote:
Ever since Amazon unveiled its 7-inch Kindle Fire tablet in September, a lingering phrase has been attached to the low-cost, high-profile device: ”the iPad’s first true Android competitor.”

Unlike all the Android tablets that offer 10-inch screens, roomier storage capacities, built-in cameras and 3G support, the Fire will ship with modest hardware specs. In fact, the Amazon tablet would seem ill-prepared to take on the iPad, if not for a trio of would-be Apple-slaying features. The Fire will be insanely inexpensive at $200. It will hook into Amazon Prime, the company’s two-day package shipping and instant movie rental service, for just $79 a year. And the tablet will be supported by the all brand I.D. and operating efficiencies of a digital storefront that people already use daily to buy everything from physical goods to digital downloads.

In total, the Fire has the potential to be the first Android-based tablet to give Apple the chills. Amazon’s digital storefront alone should provoke concern.

But, no, Apple isn’t fazed. Barclays analyst Ben Reitzes recently met with Apple’s Tim Cook (CEO) and Peter Oppenheimer (CFO), both of whom have a more pessimistic view of the Amazon Fire’s future. Stated Reitzes, in a research note first reported by Business Insider:
Quote:
While the pricing at $199 looks disruptive for what seems to be the iPad’s most important rising challenge, the Amazon Fire, is important to note that [the Kindle Fire] could fuel further fragmentation in the tablet market, given it represents yet another platform. While compatible with Android, the apps work with Amazon products.
It’s a situation that must make Apple giggle. As Reitzes wrote in his research note, ”The more fragmentation, the better, says Apple, since that could drive more consumers to the stable Apple platform.”
Let’s accept the proposition that Apple need not worry about Amazon. Who should then? Well, the more direct and obvious competitor would be Barnes & Noble, whose Nook e-readers and Nook Color tablets are similar to Amazon’s Kindle and Kindle Fire devices.
Regardless of the Nook Color’s final hardware build and price, B&N would still remain vulnerable to Apple and Amazon in one critical area: software integration. Barnes & Noble has far fewer apps than either Amazon and Apple, it doesn’t have Amazon’s pull as a general-purpose retailer, and will ostensibly rely on third-party services like Mog, Rdio and Hulu Plus to compensate for its lack of proprietary streaming media services.

So the ultimate question is, Should Apple be concerned about Amazon’s Android dabblings, or is the Amazon Kindle Fire actually going to murder the Nook?

LinkedIn Profile
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
Eddie Smith
SOA AAA

College: UGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
Murder the Nook, yes. It's less clear if the Fire is an iPad competitor. I think the Fire has the potential to be successful, but I think that success will result from it hitting a different market.

Amazon is the first company that seems to understand the most probable pathway to success here:

1) High power specs are not that important. Low power, long battery life is

2) Ecosystem matters

3) Don't compete head to head with Apple. Go around Apple. There is ample opportunity in markets that Apple isn't in or isn't interested in.

4) Do your own thing and see if it works. Don't just clone.

Learn how FSA exams are different from the prelims

We have your exam covered:

LP | LFV-U | LFV-C | LRM | ERM | QFI Quant | QFI Adv | QFI IRM | G&H Core | G&H Adv | G&H Sp

Check out our Technical Skills Course and our new R Course!

Connect on Twitter, Facebook, & LinkedIn
Old 11-07-2011, 12:34 PM
SOA

Studying for the rest of my life

Seems to me they just cloned the Nook Color.

**** Juan.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleDot View Post
Seems to me they just cloned the Nook Color.

But Fire will sell way better than the Color ever did/does.