Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when new jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:44 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
I'd kill for a solid, high light level legendary scout rifle.
I finally got my first kinetic mod (had to build it), so my Nameless Midnight is now 304.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:25 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaliere View Post
Nightfall this week is pretty easy. I do recommend you be at least the light level recommended (I believe 240?). Even if this is your first nightfall, you should be able to do it. I did it with 2 randoms and we didn't even use mics to communicate and still won on first try. One of the modifiers is that your non-super abilities cool down much faster. So just spam your abilities, especially grenades. And since there's no way to get any added time, skip spots where you don't need to fight, and you should be able to finish in time.
Interesting. Any special gear/weapons I should have for it? I haven't found something I "love," and mostly been using the ones with the highest number.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:47 PM

I just got an exotic sniper rifle that lets you change it's damage type by holding square. I wish I could transfer that ability to an energy weapon.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:07 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I just got an exotic sniper rifle that lets you change it's damage type by holding square. I wish I could transfer that ability to an energy weapon.
Hardlight is the closest, where you can switch the elemental type, but you have to go to the menu to do it.

That sniper is the PS4 exclusive as well.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 AM

I got my MIDA multi tool last weekend at 296 (with a mod). I've been traveling so tonight was my first chance to take it to the crucible. I've been on the receiving end so I knew it was OP, but wow, it's like switching to easy mode.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
I finally got my first kinetic mod (had to build it), so my Nameless Midnight is now 304.
Nice, that looks like a pretty solid gun. I'd have lost my s**t if I got that
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Interesting. Any special gear/weapons I should have for it? I haven't found something I "love," and mostly been using the ones with the highest number.
Yea, in the beginning, it's pretty much getting you're light level up, even if it's with a gun you're not fond of. After a certain point, I suggest saving whatever legendary guns you like, and then infusing them into higher light guns you don't like.

I brought both a void energy and power weapon because I thought I'd be dealing with a lot of vex minotaurs with void shields. But I don't think there was that much, so I suggest a void and either solar or arc. I think I saw more solar shields though, but I could be wrong. If you want to cover all bases, go void energy, solar power, and arc subclass; or some other variant of the 3.

I know I said it before, but with the modifier this week, just keep chucking grenades and wrecking fools. I usually use grenades that do damage over time (e.g. pulse grenade for striker titan).
Old 09-29-2017, 05:12 PM
SOA

Oof, this grind past 260 is rough. I've mostly been running quests to get faction tokens, but I'm wondering if the gear gotten there is limiting, as it seems like everything I get is 265. Besides that, I'm not sure where my focus should be...strikes?
Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM
It's a funny name.

I have the opportunity to sell my PS4 slim and upgrade to a PS4 Pro. Any experts (or otherwise) here have an opinion on whether it's a decent move or waste of money?

if it matters, I've got my PS4 hooked up to a large UHD Samsung OLED.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
Oof, this grind past 260 is rough. I've mostly been running quests to get faction tokens, but I'm wondering if the gear gotten there is limiting, as it seems like everything I get is 265. Besides that, I'm not sure where my focus should be...strikes?
Once you get to a certain point, I think it's 265, all blues and legendaries drop at predetermined level that is based on your power (and it's lower than your level). That's also the level of gear that vendors will give you. I would focus on:

1) Things that will give you luminous/powerful gear which will drop at a level higher than you (weekly things like clan stuff, nightfall, and flashpoints come to mind).
2) The raid seems a little stingy, but everything I've gotten from the chests has been higher than my base.
3) Exotics should also drop above your level (unless it's from Xur, which I've only seen at 270). You can increase your chances for exotics from public events by using the fireteam medallion that you can get from the eververse lady in the tower. I think some of the quest lines also end with an exotic reward.

Any of those three things can bump your light up by a point or two, and that should bump up the drop level for blues and legendaries. I've found it's most efficient to get a big bump from one of those things at a time, then grind up any piece of gear that is below the drop level. That 265-280 was the worst for me because I didn't save any of my powerful engrams during the play through, so everything just stalled for 3-4 days.

Last edited by G-Funk; 09-29-2017 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Wall of text
Old 09-30-2017, 03:11 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
I have the opportunity to sell my PS4 slim and upgrade to a PS4 Pro. Any experts (or otherwise) here have an opinion on whether it's a decent move or waste of money?

if it matters, I've got my PS4 hooked up to a large UHD Samsung OLED.
The biggest reason to get a PS4 pro is the ability to use the better graphics. It sounds like you can use the better graphic ability, so if that means anything to you it may be worthwhile. If the graphics aren't all that important to you - I'd save the money and not upgrade.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one