Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-15-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson View Post
one example I saw was that there's a Heroes vs Villains multiplayer mode (think Han Solo, Luke, Chewbacca against Vader, Maul, Dooku, etc). Somebody shared a screenshot on Reddit where he had joined an instance of that, but got hung up at the character selection screen because all of the unlocked heroes were already taken by other members of his team and he couldn't select a character to play. Because the other heroes were locked behind the paywall/onerous grinding, he wasn't able to join the match.

to me, that's a big miss.
Wow! Thatís awful, just awful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
That's crazy...I'm curious if those numbers improve any with the changes EA has made.

I find it funny how they looked to take the franchise in the right direction by giving people the campaign they wanted in the first game, but shot themselves in the foot with one of the worst implementations of microtransactions.
I think thatís the cost after the EA updates.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:38 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlschop View Post
That's crazy...I'm curious if those numbers improve any with the changes EA has made.
Nope. EA lowered the cost of heroes (and reduced the money you get from the campaign accordingly). This cost is completely separate issue.

edit: and keep in mind that is the marginal cost only. The cost to get everything to tier 3 is not included in that number.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
And unlocking them has basically been set up similar to a free to play game on your phone where they try and get you to buy stuff to quicken things? But they've done all this in a legit $60 game?
Yep. They have mobile game mechanics in a full priced AAA game.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:42 PM
CAS AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
In FPS games (thinking of Battlefield 1, funny enough also by EA which I had a lot of fun with until my one buddy stopped playing and I got bored by myself) most of the grinding is to unlock slight modifications for your weapons which some are objectively better, although the upgrade isn't significant enough to where you'd declare it to be OP. Is that what they've done in BF2?
No, the cards provide significant power advantages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7TmXpCJI8s&t=361s

He plays Boba Fett without any mods and is weak. Adds the paid for mods - and just wrecks.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:09 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

Been playing The Witcher 2, and finished Chapter 2. I found the somewhat hidden room in a tower that had a good steel sword (forgotten vran sword) protected by the "Guardian", which was a really tough fight.

He wasn't too bad on his own, except for 2-hit-kill fireballs he likes to shoot which aren't easy to dodge close-up. But the wraiths he spawned like to swarm and slice at me pretty hard. Had to crowd control quite a bit and it really forced me to learn how to be better at the combat. Essentially pausing to switch spells (super-slow time when you bring up the combat menu).

Playing a little bit more XCOM 2, inspired by the GB video series, which I also love. But most of my crew is injured right now and unavailable for a mission. I have to send in a bunch of rookies/squaddies and there is a new kind of enemy mech that I don't think I can keep from killing at least 1 of my team. Eh, I guess they are more expendable than the rest of my roster. Just don't want to lose too many items.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 AM
CAS

Favorite beer: Batch Brewing

p.s. I'm kind of interested in the Switch. It's got good software momentum...

Seems like there won't be many Black Friday deals for it, being so new. So, may wait until the next must-have game comes out for it.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 AM

Switch is REALLY nice. Zelda and Mario are same tier as GTA V. Then you've got some good games like mario kart, rabids, splatoon, and some rando stuff for now. Some of the indie games (I am Setsuna) look amazing. And the upcoming lineup looks great. I'm looking at you Xenoblade. I highly suggest the switch. The ability to take it mobile is awesome.

Kept working on mario last night. That game is just.... fun. Hard to explain. It's just well made and fun.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:35 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
You only need to watch the first 5 minutes or so. Basically you get upgrades to your fighter that makes your guns more powerful, your turning quicker, more health, etc. The footage is of him totally leveled-up and just mowing down other players like they're easy mode AI.
Wow I watched the first few minutes like you suggested and I'm so struck by two feelings...

First... despite knowing that I always lose interest quicker than I'd like in FPS games anything Star Wars like that is soo appealing and makes me want to get it

On the other hand, literally what the ****. It's 100% pay to win... even if you don't get killed by someone who just paid to win you're going to be fully jaded every death and it'll just eat away at you. Horrible how much they've tainted what should be an amazing game.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:36 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Nerds
Old 11-16-2017, 09:37 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelian Grape View Post
Nerds

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one