Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:06 AM
CAS SOA

College: Alumni
Default Entry Level Actuarial Job

I recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in actuarial science. I have a decent GPA and also passed two actuarial exams: FM and P. In the past two months I have tried to get a full-time entry-level job but I have not had luck so far. I do not have an internship because I graduated early from my program. I am even willing to volunteer at any smaller firm to get actuarial experience and hone my technical skills. Can anyone please advise me on how I can find such smaller firms to get actuarial experience? Also, what websites or courses do you recommend to work on technical skills? I have already taken the technical skills course on infinite actuary.

I am looking for opportunities in NJ and NY.

Your response is appreciated. Thank you
Old 10-10-2019, 11:58 AM
CAS

College: Big 10, Senior year

The fact of the matter is these days it is very difficult to get an EL position without internship experience (this is the case at my school at least).

Honestly I would try to hone in on your soft skills and ask yourself why you are applying to each of these companies and what they can offer. Try to almost "interview" the various programs/cultures that each of the companies has during your interview; me not doing this held me back a lot last year (for my internship this past summer). Also try to show your personality in your interviews, feel free to talk about sports, concerts, etc during your interview as well. They want to work with people, not stats.

I think 2 exams is fine, but these days 3 is the norm to get into some larger shops, bc 3F/IFM is seen as the first "full-difficulty" exam.

About location, NJ/NY are generally more competitive, but I wouldn't apply to a rural Midwestern site if you have no ties to that area; companies WILL see through this as trying to game a system (especially true for consulting).
Old 10-10-2019, 12:04 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irehdna View Post
The fact of the matter is these days it is very difficult to get an EL position without internship experience (this is the case at my school at least).

Honestly I would try to hone in on your soft skills and ask yourself why you are applying to each of these companies and what they can offer. Try to almost "interview" the various programs/cultures that each of the companies has during your interview; me not doing this held me back a lot last year (for my internship this past summer). Also try to show your personality in your interviews, feel free to talk about sports, concerts, etc during your interview as well. They want to work with people, not stats.

I think 2 exams is fine, but these days 3 is the norm to get into some larger shops, bc 3F/IFM is seen as the first "full-difficulty" exam.

About location, NJ/NY are generally more competitive, but I wouldn't apply to a rural Midwestern site if you have no ties to that area; companies WILL see through this as trying to game a system (especially true for consulting).
what does this mean? what system is being gamed?

be willing to relo, especially when young and ties to current location are light (no spouse and children in school, don't own home, etc). not wanting to move away from home and friends isn't a good enough reason to stay when you're trying to get your career started
Old 10-10-2019, 03:01 PM
SOA

College: University of Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiringactuary101 View Post
I recently graduated from college with a bachelor's degree in actuarial science. I have a decent GPA and also passed two actuarial exams: FM and P. In the past two months I have tried to get a full-time entry-level job but I have not had luck so far. I do not have an internship because I graduated early from my program. I am even willing to volunteer at any smaller firm to get actuarial experience and hone my technical skills. Can anyone please advise me on how I can find such smaller firms to get actuarial experience? Also, what websites or courses do you recommend to work on technical skills? I have already taken the technical skills course on infinite actuary.

2 months is a very short time to be applying for a job. Additionally, you also started applying at a very bad time for EL. In August, companies typically have tighter budgets for new ELs and are preparing to recruit interns for summer 2020.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:58 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:

I doubt you'll appreciate this response, but here it goes:
  • Pass another exam. Or two.
  • Expand your search area. Even if you really, really, really, really need to be in the greater NYC area, you can also consider CT, DE and PA/Philly jobs as well.
  • In fact, do you actually need to stay in the NYC area? If not, you only limit your chances if you won't consider jobs elsewhere.
  • Two months is nothing for a job search. It will likely take you substantially longer than two months to find an EL actuarial job.
  • The above advice assumes you don't need visa sponsorship. If you need visa sponsorship as well, it'll take you even longer, and need more exams.
  • What actuarial clubs in your area have you joined? Their meetings can be useful for networking.

"I guess I just have a lower prior-expectation of humanity than you folks. You win for optimism, but I win for accuracy."
--Pseudolus

"I wonder if there's a lower bound on how dumb the internet can get. We gotta be getting close, right?"
--Mother of DragQueens
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
  • Expand your search area. Even if you really, really, really, really need to be in the greater NYC area, you can also consider CT, DE and PA/Philly jobs as well.
  • In fact, do you actually need to stay in the NYC area? If not, you only limit your chances if you won't consider jobs elsewhere.
  • Two months is nothing for a job search. It will likely take you substantially longer than two months to find an EL actuarial job.
  • The above advice assumes you don't need visa sponsorship. If you need visa sponsorship as well, it'll take you even longer, and need more exams.
  • What actuarial clubs in your area have you joined? Their meetings can be useful for networking.
I agree with all of this. If you're not working on it already, pass another exam. To me it's a red flag when I see act sci majors with only two exams
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM
CAS

Quote:

How many applications did you send?
Old 10-11-2019, 09:26 PM
CAS SOA

Default How many exams

I have applied to more than 300 applications everywhere in the US.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:28 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irehdna View Post

I have applied everywhere in the US. I am willing to relocate for better opportunities.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:30 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Exams Already View Post
I have applied everywhere in the US. I am willing to relocate for better opportunities. I do not have visa issues or require sponsorship.

Tags
entry level advice, job opportunity, volunteering