Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > General Actuarial
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

General Actuarial Non-Specific Actuarial Topics - Before posting a thread, please browse over our other sections to see if there is a better fit, such as Careers - Employment, Actuarial Science Universities Forum or any of our other 100+ forums.

Old 11-14-2017, 03:44 PM
CAS AAA

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol
Default Census of Actuaries by Employer

In the past couple of weeks, I have come across a presentation deck for investors produced by a P&C carrier mentioning how many actuaries it has on staff; and literature from another carrier which shared similar information.

I observed that the smaller company (premiums roughly 15% of the larger company) claimed more actuaries on staff.

There are obviously a number of reasons this could be...but it got me to wondering: has anyone done the legwork to query a membership database and generate a tally of actuaries by employer?

I'm more interested in P&C....and this is coming just from pure curiosity. (I'm curious enough to ask, but not so curious to do it myself.)
Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 PM
SOA AAA

Um, the SOA directory has the CAS members as well.

Filter by company name (if there is only one "company name").
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Twitches' Advice to Crazy Women: Please just go buy your 30 cats already.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM
CAS AAA

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Um, the SOA directory has the CAS members as well.

Filter by company name (if there is only one "company name").
That sounds like work.

This was more of a semi-random question. I'm curious enough to see if there's a canned report lying around, but not curious enough to look up and compile tallies myself (or, at least, there are other things I would prefer to waste my query-running time doing).
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM
SOA AAA

Ah.
Can't help you, then.
Guessing that someone at the SOA/AAA/CAS has access to the database that is the source of the online directory.
Not sure who that someone is. Nor, whether they would give anyone else access to it.
Might do it for money, if that is something the groups above are known to do.
DTNF's Résumé Advice: Have a good and interesting answer to every item on it for the interviews.
DTNF's Law of Job Offers: You not only have to qualify for the position, but you also have to be the best candidate available for the offer.
DTNF's Work Philosophy: I am actuary. Please insert data. -- Actuary Actuarying Rodriguez.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:42 PM
SOA AAA

I mean, you could do it for a specific company at a time, but not for every company at once.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:07 PM

Using online resources will give you Actuaries, but not actuaries. My guess is that any presentation you saw was based on the latter.