Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

View Poll Results: Should blind people be granted guns for hunting/ownership
yes, it is their right 7 50.00%
Yes, I'll explain 0 0%
no, this is insane 5 35.71%
no, i'll explain 0 0%
pew pew pew 1 7.14%
42 guns for everybody 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-01-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
Wouldn't having to pay for a gun also be a poll tax for 2a if expensive bullets are considered a poll tax for 2a?

Or voter ID ...
Old 03-01-2018, 02:46 PM

If it was illegal somewhere, I'm sure some enterprising plaintiff's attorney would figure out a way to file an ADA claim. the article mentions it, but I'm not surprised at all. so many silly CYA rules and procedures because of creative ADA lawsuits.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:40 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Right View Post
Wouldn't having to pay for a gun also be a poll tax for 2a if expensive bullets are considered a poll tax for 2a?

Or voter ID ...
maybe if you were required to own one you'd be entitled to a free one, i dunna know. can i get reimbursed for the cost of gas and wear 'n' tear on my vehicle when i drive to my voting station?

an egregiously high tax on ammo, something that is clearly intended to stifle use, would be somewhat akin to saying, "sure, boy, you've got the right to vote, but yer gonna' have to pay this here tax first. oh, and here's a test you'll have to take and pass too. good luck, boy.
har! har! har!"
Old 03-01-2018, 04:54 PM

Quote:
maybe if you were required to own one you'd be entitled to a free one, i dunna know. can i get reimbursed for the cost of gas and wear 'n' tear on my vehicle when i drive to my voting station?

an egregiously high tax on ammo, something that is clearly intended to stifle use, would be somewhat akin to saying, "sure, boy, you've got the right to vote, but yer gonna' have to pay this here tax first. oh, and here's a test you'll have to take and pass too. good luck, boy.
har! har! har!"
In that case it wasn't really a "tax", more so a means of blocking all blacks from voting. Expensive ammo would be a tax from one view but it could also be viewed as having more second amendment rights akin to how having more money gives you more ability to exercise your 1a right.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:22 PM
CAS

poll tax and literacy tests applied to everyone. were poll taxes and literacy tests used to target specific classes/groups? certainly. so you had the right, you just faced targeted burdens if you wanted to use that right
Old 03-04-2018, 12:22 AM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
poll tax and literacy tests applied to everyone. were poll taxes and literacy tests used to target specific classes/groups? certainly. so you had the right, you just faced targeted burdens if you wanted to use that right
Literacy tests generally had "grandfather clauses" so that white people didn't have to take them. this one, at least theoretically, only requires a 5th grade education to be avoided.

Steve Jobs and I talked about how we wanted to make blind people as equal and capable as sighted people, and you'd have to say we succeeded when you look at all the people walking down the sidewalk looking down at something in their hands and totally oblivious to everything around them! -- Steve Wozniak

"Imaginary evil is romantic and varied; real evil is gloomy, monotonous, barren, boring. Imaginary good, is boring, real good is always new, marvellous, intoxicating." -- Simone Weil

Last edited by Len Myers; 03-04-2018 at 12:25 AM..