Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Surveys
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

View Poll Results: Should the Postal Service stop being Amazon's Delivery Boy?
Yes, grow a pair USPS 4 21.05%
No, their purpose is to be everyone's delivery boy 15 78.95%
The hell? 4 21.05%
42 Deliveries in 48 hours 3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-30-2018, 06:43 PM

Default Should the post office stop being Amazon's Delivery Boy?

poll
Old 03-30-2018, 07:17 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

are they?

it seems to me that, as someone who can get packages only by PO Box, that Amazon keeps using UPS, which pisses me off. i have lost so many packages bc ups pretends they dont know where the post office is and when the workers take lunch

so if usps is the primary delivery boy, i want to see the evidence. bc thats not my experience

LinkedIn Profile
Old 03-31-2018, 05:55 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Actually, I should have voted yes. But it's mostly because USPS sucks vs the other carriers, and not anything bad about Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:28 PM
SOA

from talking to a USPS carrier, most of their packages are from amazon. The rest is just stuffing junk into boxes.

that carrier has become so depressed since starting that job... she says everyone is there for the benefits and no one really likes each other. they pretty much have accepted their job is useless.
Old 04-01-2018, 01:10 AM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Well, the Republicans have been trying to kill USPS for the last decade or so. So that would certainly fit their goals.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:34 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Actually, I should have voted yes. But it's mostly because USPS sucks vs the other carriers, and not anything bad about Amazon.
This. USPS is the worst. My mail gets delivered to my neighbor, doesn't get delivered at all, or gets thrown on the porch in the snow instead of in the mailbox where it would obviously fit. Honestly, if I could pay for them NOT to handle my mail, I would.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:57 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmhst25 View Post
This. USPS is the worst. My mail gets delivered to my neighbor, doesn't get delivered at all, or gets thrown on the porch in the snow instead of in the mailbox where it would obviously fit. Honestly, if I could pay for them NOT to handle my mail, I would.

The woman who delivers our mail is friendly, but she also has annoying habits when it comes to packages. She crams stuff in large bags/envelopes into the mailbox (hasn't damaged anything important so far, but only by sheer luck).
She takes smaller boxes that won't quite fit in the maibox and hides them behind our trash cans in the driveway, which is actually not that bad because I typically am looking right at them when I get out of my car...

But instead of using this "hiding spot" for larger packages, she puts those on the front porch right in the middle of the doorway. Which really sucks when it's something heavy like dog/cat food bags.

We can always tell when FedEx or UPS deliver something, because it is usually tucked in behind one of the columns on the side of the front porch instead of out in the open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:02 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
are they?

it seems to me that, as someone who can get packages only by PO Box, that Amazon keeps using UPS, which pisses me off. i have lost so many packages bc ups pretends they dont know where the post office is and when the workers take lunch

so if usps is the primary delivery boy, i want to see the evidence. bc thats not my experience
In my experience, USPS delivers on the weekend, UPS on weekdays.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:18 AM
SOA

Studying for the hell of it...
College: AASU
Favorite beer: This one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcooljabe View Post
In my experience, USPS delivers on the weekend, UPS on weekdays.
Everything that comes from the Amazon Distribution center (roughly 30 minutes away from us) comes through USPS, regardless of the day. Anything that comes from a different state will usually come UPS or FedEx (typically non-Prime eligible stuff).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androzani Major View Post
Maybe a better statement is that I enjoyed having experienced it both ways?
Old 04-02-2018, 11:26 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
are they?

Yeah, I voted "they exist to deliver stuff", but in fact, the vast majority of stuff I buy on Amazon is delivered via UPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyalDragon View Post
...We can always tell when FedEx or UPS deliver something, because it is usually tucked in behind one of the columns on the side of the front porch instead of out in the open.
It all depends on the person who delivers. A couple of years ago, my preference was UPS > USPS >> FedEx, based on where they put packages, and how easy they were to deal with. The UPS driver was especially good -- they delivered most items to my front door, (partially obscured line-of-sight, and under a small roof) but if it was an especially large or valuable item, they would tuck it in the garage, in front of the door between the garage and the house, where it was very well protected from the elements and out-of-sight. I paid extra to get UPS delivery if that was an option, because the actual delivery was so good.

But then we got a new UPS person on the route. The new person left everything in the center of the driveway, as visible as possible to any passerby, and completely unprotected from the elements.

The first couple of times this happened I just grumbled.

One day I arrived home to find a large package that had been sitting in the rain all day, and the box had basically dissolved, and fell apart as I carried the sodden mass into the house. The item was also broken. The rain wasn't responsible for the breakage, but made it hard to return the item, since I didn't have a useable box. I ended up carrying the thing to a UPS storefront, where they charged me for a new box () but also told me I could sign up for "my UPS", which lets you specify where you want items delivered. So I did that.

Oddly enough, "in the center of my driveway" isn't even one of the options. The default is "by my front door", which, you know, is where the old person delivered, and where USPS delivers and where FedEx usually delivers.

So now I request "by my front door" explicitly. The idiot driver is too lazy to walk the last 3 steps, and puts packages on the very extreme edge of the stoop, where they are more visible than they need to be, and less protected from rain if there's even a slight breeze. But it is an improvement over "the center of my driveway", so there's that. I keep hoping to catch this person in action, but it hasn't happened, yet.

Anyhow, right now my preference is USPS delivery. Their tracking isn't as good as the other companies, but it's a lot better than it used to be, and is now generally good enough. And my letter carrier is quite good.