Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

View Poll Results: Do employers consider job hopping in hiring decisions?
Definitely. 19 29.69%
Somewhat. 24 37.50%
Only a little bit. 9 14.06%
Not at all. 5 7.81%
42 jobs in 84 years 7 10.94%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 04-15-2018, 09:54 PM
WhiteVeil WhiteVeil is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post
How long would you say you need to be working before you can leave a short (less than 1 year) stint off your resume? Especially in the case where it was your first job? 10+ years is probably safe, but wondering if you could get away with it sooner especially if you've had 3 or more jobs? It makes complete sense to me to leave a short job off after that many years, but I can't help but think people would ask about the employment gap that would now exist by leaving that job off. Do you just casually mention it then or what?


Can anyone provide some insight?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM
CowboyGuy CowboyGuy is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,823
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post
How long would you say you need to be working before you can leave a short (less than 1 year) stint off your resume? Especially in the case where it was your first job? 10+ years is probably safe, but wondering if you could get away with it sooner especially if you've had 3 or more jobs? It makes complete sense to me to leave a short job off after that many years, but I can't help but think people would ask about the employment gap that would now exist by leaving that job off. Do you just casually mention it then or what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post


Can anyone provide some insight?
Sorry I didn't notice that post.

Just to clarify, I would NEVER leave a job off my resume other than the very first one, and only if it was less than a year. Having a gap in your resume "between two jobs" is one of the worst things for your career. There are people who take a break (to travel the world for instance) but its very rare and can be a red flag.

However, that's generally not the case for the very first job because its not uncommon to take a break or to take sometime to find a job after college.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:00 PM
twig93's Avatar
twig93 twig93 is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 27,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
Once, the group that sat next to mine hired a woman who quit after two weeks. She had been a temp at some other place, and they offered her a full-time position, and she went back. The hiring manager was LIVID, and talked about how no one would ever hire her with THAT on her resume. And I couldn't help but think that (1) she'd be unlikely to bother listing the 2 weeks with us on her resume at all and (2) I doubt managers actually would care. For practical purposes, she stayed with a company she liked as soon as they were able to manage a permanent position for her. It's not as if she had any reason to be "loyal" to us.
Your manager sounds clueless. That two-week stint at your company is *never* going on her resume, and in the event that she's ever interviewing in the future with someone who knows about it, she can always correctly point out that the original company realized how valuable she was after she left and decided she was worth hanging on to.
__________________
Originally Posted by Gandalf
The thing that is clearest is twig's advice
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-16-2018, 03:12 PM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,188
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
Sorry I didn't notice that post.

Just to clarify, I would NEVER leave a job off my resume other than the very first one, and only if it was less than a year. Having a gap in your resume "between two jobs" is one of the worst things for your career. There are people who take a break (to travel the world for instance) but its very rare and can be a red flag.

However, that's generally not the case for the very first job because its not uncommon to take a break or to take sometime to find a job after college.
I agree. I expect the times to add up, and if they don't, I ask about it. I mean, if it's two weeks, sure, dates are usually rounded to months anyway. But if you work someplace for a year, it should be there.

The exception might be a shortish gap after college. Or of your are a career changer, and your prior career was the sort of job that naturally comes in short units, you might lump some similar things together (post docs at college a, b, and c, say.)
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Loner's Avatar
Loner Loner is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The Third Half
Posts: 44,709
Default

While I agree people shouldn't care about the 2-week stint mentioned above, remember that insurance selects rather heavily for the petty bureaucratic tyrant personality type. (Which, to be fair, is often an asset in most insurance jobs).
__________________
2012 AO Rap Battle Champion
Co-Legend of the Water Cooler(TM)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:34 PM
WhiteVeil WhiteVeil is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty View Post
I agree. I expect the times to add up, and if they don't, I ask about it. I mean, if it's two weeks, sure, dates are usually rounded to months anyway. But if you work someplace for a year, it should be there.

The exception might be a shortish gap after college. Or of your are a career changer, and your prior career was the sort of job that naturally comes in short units, you might lump some similar things together (post docs at college a, b, and c, say.)
So say you were at your first job for less than a year, maybe 10 months or so. After you've got some good experience (maybe 10 years?), you decide to leave it off the resume. Since that will create at least a year gap since you graduated school to when you started your next job, how do you answer the question when asked about it?

Would that be considered dishonest? I wouldn't think so, as I'd like to think most would understand that your first position was probably not the most relevant experience you'd have, especially if you were there 1 year or less, but I'm sure there would be some hiring managers who might think you're trying to hide something.

Last edited by WhiteVeil; 04-16-2018 at 11:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-16-2018, 11:38 PM
WhiteVeil WhiteVeil is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
Sorry I didn't notice that post.

Just to clarify, I would NEVER leave a job off my resume other than the very first one, and only if it was less than a year. Having a gap in your resume "between two jobs" is one of the worst things for your career. There are people who take a break (to travel the world for instance) but its very rare and can be a red flag.

However, that's generally not the case for the very first job because its not uncommon to take a break or to take sometime to find a job after college.
Agree for sure with not leaving jobs off your resume in those cases.

But in the case where it's your first job and less than a year, how much experience would you say you'd need before it's safe to leave it off? 10 years? Just curious as to when it becomes the point where this is acceptable (i.e. the point where hiring managers don't care about about it anymore)
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-17-2018, 01:17 AM
PeppermintPatty's Avatar
PeppermintPatty PeppermintPatty is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 35,188
Default

Why do you want to leave it off? Because you're embarrassed it didn't work out? Because you want more space to describe the more recent stuff? Something else?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-17-2018, 02:44 AM
extrovertedactuary extrovertedactuary is online now
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West of Nowhere
College: State
Posts: 1,224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyGuy View Post
Sorry I didn't notice that post.

Just to clarify, I would NEVER leave a job off my resume other than the very first one, and only if it was less than a year. Having a gap in your resume "between two jobs" is one of the worst things for your career. There are people who take a break (to travel the world for instance) but its very rare and can be a red flag.

However, that's generally not the case for the very first job because its not uncommon to take a break or to take sometime to find a job after college.
What about if you were laid off or even let go? Are you saying someone's life and career are essentially over if they have a slight gap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post
So say you were at your first job for less than a year, maybe 10 months or so. After you've got some good experience (maybe 10 years?), you decide to leave it off the resume. Since that will create at least a year gap since you graduated school to when you started your next job, how do you answer the question when asked about it?

Would that be considered dishonest? I wouldn't think so, as I'd like to think most would understand that your first position was probably not the most relevant experience you'd have, especially if you were there 1 year or less, but I'm sure there would be some hiring managers who might think you're trying to hide something.
One thing I think would be a decent idea is to simply leave off the year that you graduated. I know some of the more experienced posters on this board may disagree, but I think you really need to consider that the education is simply a check box once you have enough experience, and the person reading your resume is not going to be thinking as much about when you graduated and had your first job versus the kind of experience you bring to the job for which they are hiring you.

In addition, down the road this will protect you from ageism.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 AM
Father Flynn Father Flynn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVeil View Post
But in the case where it's your first job and less than a year, how much experience would you say you'd need before it's safe to leave it off? 10 years? Just curious as to when it becomes the point where this is acceptable (i.e. the point where hiring managers don't care about about it anymore)
I'd never leave it off unless it was entirely unrelated to actuarial/professional work, e.g. Starbucks barista, or you want no association with the company. If it's not on there, I'd assume you weren't able to find a job after graduating and were unemployed for the first x months. Not that this is a deal-breaker.
__________________
I will gladly give you my advice and guidance for free.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.23946 seconds with 12 queries