Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM

College: ISEG Actuarial Science
Favorite beer: Leffe Blond
Default Best Estimate Technical Provisions Duration

Hi everyone,

Well, second post in my welcome day. I hope I won't bother you much.

I was working with assets and liabilities matching, specifically with credit and suretyship insurance.
To estimate the duration of liabilities we use the best estimate of claim provisions, which come from the loss reserving method and its cash flows (given by the lower triangle).
The first challenge appears when the provision method is based on an incurred claim method, where the lower triangle represents the changes in the cost of claims and not the pure cash flows -payments.
So, in this case one option may be using a paid method that results in a similar ultimate cost. Then we can calculate the duration from the cash flow generated by this method (discounting the diagonals by a technical rate).
Second problem is that in somecases, where we have negative cash flows- recoveries- in long tail business lines, it could give us a negative duration.
In my opinion, the interpretation in this case would be just "a rise in the interest rate, will rise the present value of the liability", which is not easy to justify by the recoveries.

Any opinion is welcome,
Thank you.

Last edited by juandeoyar; 02-20-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 11:57 AM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juandeoyar View Post
To estimate the duration of liabilities we use the best estimate of claim provisions, which come from the loss reserving method and its cash flows (given by the lower triangle).
The first challenge appears when the provision method is based on a incurred claim method, where the lower triangle represents the changes in the cost of claims and not the pure cash flows -payments.
So, in this case one option may be using a payments method that results in a similar ultimate cost. Then we can calculate the duration from the cash flow generated by this method (discounting the diagonals by a technical rate).
Second problem is that in somecases, where we have negative cash flows- recoveries- in long tail business lines, it could give us a negative duration.
In my opinion, the interpretation in this case would be just "a rise in the interest rate, will rise the present value of the liability", which is not easy to justify by the recoveries.
Anybody who looks at duration as a time frame is misusing the concept. The whole point of "duration" is to estimate the change in liability with respect to change in interest rate.
Of course, I am no longer an actuary, and my career was all on the life side. So take that into consideration.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:59 AM
CAS SOA

You have to carry a provision for all unpaid components, regardless of whether you are using an incurred or paid triangle. One possibility is to use the reported method to calculate the ultimate cost, then a paid method to calculate the timing of when they will occur.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM
Carol Marler
Non-Actuary

Studying for Nothing actuarial.

I forgot to mention that having cash available when needed is more important that "average" duration.

Pluto is no longer a planet and I am no longer an actuary. Please take my opinions as non-actuarial.

My latest favorite quotes, updated Apr 5, 2018.

Spoiler:
I should keep these four permanently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rekrap View Post
JMO is right
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I agree with JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
And def agree w/ JMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG View Post
This. And everything else JMO wrote.
And this all purpose permanent quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Yup, it is always someone else's fault.
MORE:
All purpose response for careers forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Depends upon the employer and the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I feel like ERM is 90% buzzwords, and that the underlying agenda is to make sure at least one of your Corporate Officers is not dumb.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
You have to carry a provision for all unpaid components, regardless of whether you are using an incurred or paid triangle. One possibility is to use the reported method to calculate the ultimate cost, then a paid method to calculate the timing of when they will occur.
Yes, that's the idea. But which paid method would you choose? There are a few alternatives.
Additionally, we have to accept that the paid method has not the same timing, but we don't know the timing though.

PD: If you mean to use the same method but on the paid triangle, I already tried to see the results, and they are really different in many cases. If the ultimate in the paid method is much higher, and you have strong cash flows at the beggining (or irregular cash flows), the final duration will differ a lot from the hypotetical one.

Last edited by juandeoyar; 02-20-2018 at 12:31 PM..
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMO View Post
I forgot to mention that having cash available when needed is more important that "average" duration.
Yes sure, sometimes it does not make sense to match durations, even if there will be strong recoveries at the end. In that case I'd suggest analyse the short term and matching cash flows, not durations, since we are adding interest rate risk to inflows.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:32 PM
CAS AAA

I'd recommend you sort out your cash flow patterns - a standard set might be helpful - then scale them to exposure or expected loss including wherever you decide to allocate the IBNR.

Cash flows are the fundamental unit for financial modeling including liquidity (first and foremost...) and ALM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IANAE View Post
I'd recommend you sort out your cash flow patterns - a standard set might be helpful - then scale them to exposure or expected loss including wherever you decide to allocate the IBNR.

Cash flows are the fundamental unit for financial modeling including liquidity (first and foremost...) and ALM.
How do you identify the cash flow patterns? What do you mean by standard set?
Scaling to the expected loss should be easy if I have the distribution of the payments, even though it doesn't matter because the duration only takes into account the weights.