Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Group and Health Track > Group & Health Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Group & Health Core Exam Old Group & Health Design & Pricing Forum

Old 02-20-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATE Seminars View Post
I agree with you. I could also point out dozens of past exam questions I have done over the past 15 years that use a simplified CPD such as this one in just the way you did it. To be clear, I'm on your side here, and I wish you luck. It's still an uphill battle though. There was recently an exam with many blatant errors in solutions, and I emailed them about 3 of the most obvious ones (the types that any reasonable actuary would agree on), but couldn't get them to budge on any of them.
I wanted to scour every inch of the syllabus, because I was certain this approach is offered up directly.

I think Group Chapter 22, table 22.2 makes this a much easier argument. Maximum limits versus MOOP, but there should be reasonable expectation for any candidate to apply what they know.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:51 PM

Just a followup. After letting this whole thing run its course, I have the following advice:

Don't bother. There is no evidence from the exam committee's response that my objection was read. It is reasonable to assume they did. I find the response disrespectful to the profession. The moral of this story is if you know more than the syllabus and provide a more accurate answer, you are not a "well prepared candidate."

If changing their mind would not have resulted in a pass, they had a much easier (much faster) way out. It appears I passed, but without credit. I suspect many people did.

The exam committee and I have reached an impasse. I will not contact them again.