Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 02-04-2019, 01:25 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

RIP Wade Wilson. Died on his 60th birthday.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz refuted multiple details in a story critical of him published last month by Philly Voice but did not dismiss the story outright, acknowledging that he could have been a better teammate as he navigated a trying year professionally.

"I know who I am, first of all. I know how I carry myself. I know I'm not perfect. I know I have flaws," he said during a sit-down interview with a small group of reporters at the Eagles' practice facility recently. "So I'm not going to sit here and say it was inaccurate and completely made up. I'm not going to do that. But at the end of the day, I will say our locker room is really close. If there were guys that had issues, in hindsight, I wish we could have just talked about them. But, again, I don't know how that all happened and everything with that."

EDITOR'S PICKS

Eagles QB Carson Wentz discusses criticism, Nick Foles and more
The Eagles quarterback reflected on allegations in an article that he was a selfish teammate, and what he thought of Nick Foles' success.

Sources: Eagles expected to franchise QB Foles
The Eagles are expected to use their franchise tag on Nick Foles and then will look to trade the quarterback, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Eagles defend Wentz after report on 'selfish' QB
The Eagles' Zach Ertz, Fletcher Cox and Lane Johnson defended Carson Wentz after a Philly Voice report cited sources calling the quarterback "selfish," "uncompromising" and "egotistical."

Wentz was described as "egotistical," "selfish" and "uncompromising" in the story, which cited more than a half-dozen players and other sources, all of whom were quoted anonymously. He was accused of playing favorites and resisting certain concepts because he viewed them as "[Nick] Foles stuff."

Wentz said he was caught off guard by the report.

"It kind of came out of nowhere," he said. "I was literally eating breakfast with my wife, and [a member of the Eagles media relations staff] texted me. Literally, we do, like, quiet time in the morning. We eat breakfast and then I go sit on the couch. So I'm about to go read my Bible and then I get that text and now I'm reading this."

Wentz said he didn't really sense the friction internally described in the piece, but he didn't dismiss the notion out of hand.

"It's never fun to read, but to an extent, you look at it and be like, 'Well, if someone did have this perception of me, why? What have I done wrong? What can I get better at?'" he said. "I realize I have my shortcomings. Yes, I can be selfish. I think we all have selfishness inside of us. There's human elements to that, that I really look at and say, 'Well, I can get better.'"

A host of teammates spoke out on social media in defense of Wentz, while a senior team official described the QB as a "good person" with "great character" to ESPN's Sal Paolantonio.

"Story has no legs," the official added.

Wentz said he initially tried to "play detective" to figure out who may have contributed to the story before deciding it ultimately didn't matter.

"I'll learn from it and we'll all learn that A, things shouldn't kind of come out the way it did, and B, the pieces that I can learn from it and be a better teammate and player and all that stuff I will grow from," he said. "But other than that, just turn the page."

There were specific details inside the Philly Voice story that Wentz disputed. Asked about the notion that he was "once verbally attacked by a highly respected teammate for not being 'a team guy,'" Wentz said, "I didn't know what that was. I will say I didn't know what that was about."

While conceding he and Foles, the Eagles' backup quarterback, see the game differently to a degree and like different concepts, he flatly denied being resistant to running plays that might be associated with being "Foles stuff." He also pushed back on the charge he "bullied" offensive coordinator Mike Groh.

"Groh and I talked to each other that day when it came out, and I think we all know that never took place," Wentz said. "I even go back to the year before with Frank [Reich], I know Frank has gone and said that he and I used to have these competitive arguments, but they're healthy. That stuff happens. That's, I think, what good football teams have, the ability to respectfully do that and kind of be stubborn and those things. It was the same way with Groh. In my opinion, he is a very good football mind, and in my opinion, I feel like I have something to contribute, too, so I thought we had some really healthy dialogue. To say, quote, 'bullied him,' I'd say that's kind of disrespectful to Groh. I don't think anyone bullies Coach Groh."

Wentz acknowledged he "maybe wasn't the greatest teammate at times" over the past year because he was "emotionally kind of all over the place" as he battled multiple injuries, worked separately from the group while he rehabbed and had to watch team success from the sideline.

"You go through the [ACL] injury, and you're just 100 percent determined to get back, that's, like, what my mind is on. And looking back, were there things that maybe I neglected as a teammate and as a friend because I was just so determined and that's all that mattered?" Wentz said.

While looking to grow as a teammate, Wentz said he's not about to drastically change his approach.

"I'm 26 years old; my personality, to some extent, ain't going to change," he said. "What's gotten me here, what's gotten me successful, I'm not going to say, 'Oh, now I'm going to have this free-spirited, Cali-guy vibe.' That's just not going to change.

"Any time you're a Type A guy, there's a fine line between being pushy and shove-y and humble and humility and walking that line. Definitely learning to navigate that always and never trying to look down on anybody or make it seem like I'm better than anybody. But at the same time, as a Type A, so to speak, confident person that's confident in off-the-field things and then on the field with what we like, that's not going to change. That's not going to go anywhere. I think that's something that is a positive if used correctly."
Maybe there was something to the rumors or maybe he's just trying to be a better leader.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:14 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

Jared Goff is trash
Old 02-05-2019, 12:35 PM
SOA AAA

Still salty:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-o...lls-super-bowl

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art
Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 PM

Breaking: Robert Kraft to be charged in prostitution bust.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:46 PM
COPA

Studying for FAP (hehehe nice)

2018 in 2019 LUL
Old 02-22-2019, 02:22 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Maybe Ashley Madison will get to sponsor a super bowl after all.