Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 05-10-2019, 02:41 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
Given some of the people I've been interviewed by, I'd recommend against that...
honestly that could be either a compliment or an insult to the interviewer!
Old 05-10-2019, 03:05 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostess View Post
honestly that could be either a compliment or an insult to the interviewer!
I'd say the split has been about 75% insult, 20% not applicable, and 5% compliment. But tbh, he was kind of distracting with all his clothes on... but I got hired anyway.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:03 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
If you are questioned about anything on your resume, respond confidently and without hesitation. But if you get something more tricky, where there isn't an obvious answer, then it can be good to show that you can think about the pros and cons of different solutions, rather than just jump in with the first thought that occurs to you.

And never, ever lie or dissemble about anything, even if it's not on your resume. If you don't know something, then say so, rather than make up what you think the interviewer expects to hear.
100% Agree.

Quote:
Assume that HR have trawled through your Linked-In profile and social media accounts, and perhaps spoken to someone where you interned, so know everything about you; nothing can be too bad if you've already made it to the interview stage!
Yes & no. Be prepared for them to do this (so probably a good idea to remove anything that might be considered offensive: anything gushing about how fantastic or terrible Donald Trump is, for example). Probably *someone* at the company has done this.

But don't assume that *every* interviewer has done so. Maybe someone got sick and the person filling the 2:00 - 2:45 interview slot was thrown onto the interview team this morning and they didn't actually get an opportunity to look at your resume until 1:59. So you also need to be capable of walking them through the highlights of your resume in 5 minutes or less.

Definitely be prepared for an interviewer to pick a random fact off your resume and talk about it. "I see here you mentioned that you've worked [with SQL, on ModCo reporting, on an ALFA to Axis platform conversion]. Tell me more about that!" Be prepared for them to probe... if they picked that random thing, they probably know a lot about SQL/ModCo/Axis so you're probably not going to be able to BS your way through this.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalium View Post
Assume that HR have trawled through your Linked-In profile and social media accounts
Inappropriate language for a professional area:
Spoiler:

Old 05-10-2019, 06:27 PM
SOA

Studying for PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post

Lastly, do you like my sports team that I'm a fan of, and, more importantly, are you not a fan of my team's biggest rival? 'cause, I'm not mature enough to accept someone from a different sports tribe than mine.
I would love to hire someone from the rival school to talk shit with during football season(sorry women)

Quote:
I'd say the split has been about 75% insult, 20% not applicable, and 5% compliment. But tbh, he was kind of distracting with all his clothes on... but I got hired anyway.
In one of my final round interviews for an EL position, I was interviewed by a MILF. I don't think she was showing cleavage, but her shirt was pretty tight and either white or lighter colored. Her interviewing style and mannerisms were pretty casual. She leaned back in the chair stretching several times, pushing her boobs out toward me. Not sure if it was some kind of trap, or if I avoided staring well enough. Maybe I should have posted in the insignificant signals by the opposite sex thread.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:57 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
I would love to hire someone from the rival school to talk shit with during football season(sorry women)
Some women are pretty into football. Not me, but I'm not really into any sports. Or most pop culture. Or reality TV. Or network TV. Okay, I'm kinda boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWillKirby View Post
In one of my final round interviews for an EL position, I was interviewed by a MILF. I don't think she was showing cleavage, but her shirt was pretty tight and either white or lighter colored. Her interviewing style and mannerisms were pretty casual. She leaned back in the chair stretching several times, pushing her boobs out toward me. Not sure if it was some kind of trap, or if I avoided staring well enough. Maybe I should have posted in the insignificant signals by the opposite sex thread.
Lol, I don't think there's any way to actually turn off human sexuality and attraction. Best we can do is learn to ignore it when it's not appropriate.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:46 PM
CAS

Quote:

Lol, I don't think there's any way to actually turn off human sexuality and attraction. Best we can do is learn to ignore it when it's not appropriate.
Yup, I've heard physicans rarely get turned on when giving physicals because they train their minds to treat their patients differently than everyday common women.

Similarly, I'd say to turn off sexual desires in the workplace you should treat your coworkers as professional counterparts rather than humans. downside is that it would make for a boring workplace.