Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-30-2019, 02:19 PM

I'm really interested on where AAPL lands tonight. I don't have a position either way, but they are large position in the SPX.

their innovation has been weak and they are really doubling down on the "we don't use your data" stuff - attacking FB, GOOG, etc.

All its going to take is a "AAPL sold us data about where you go" or something and people are going to freak out. I hope Cook is right that they don't do it, but it seems unlikely that they don't data mine all their apple users and use the data to "suggest" ads or places to eat etc.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing the results tonight.

Bond market is pricing considerable slowing to inflation and GDP growth
Old 05-06-2019, 12:32 PM
SOA

Studying for LFV-C
Favorite beer: Blanche de Chambly

My mutual funds have made a lot of gains since December 31st. Good thing I didn't liquidate them back then. Will transfer all the money into a savings account (for down payment) once I start noticing a downward trend again.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek92 View Post
I'm really interested on where AAPL lands tonight. I don't have a position either way, but they are large position in the SPX.

their innovation has been weak and they are really doubling down on the "we don't use your data" stuff - attacking FB, GOOG, etc.
I don't get why apple refuses to improve their macbook line. Their keyboards are universally hated these days, that genius bar at the top I think is pretty unpopular (not has hated as the garbage keyboard though). I realize their Macbook line isn't a key driver for the company but why continue to piss off core apple fans/creative minds that utilize macbook pros.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:00 AM
CAS

i think the kb is fine
Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM

If the SPX goes below 2775 watch out. the floor falls out IMO and selling intensifies greatly. There are lots of technical traders (and algos). 200 day acts as support "until it doesnt", meaning once it breaks through, if it doesn't hold, the next leg down intensifies.

Not saying it "will" or "wont" .. just saying its an interesting data to point to watch. we're not that far from 200 day average.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:54 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: Pilsner Urquell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek92 View Post
If the SPX goes below 2775 watch out. the floor falls out IMO and selling intensifies greatly. There are lots of technical traders (and algos). 200 day acts as support "until it doesnt", meaning once it breaks through, if it doesn't hold, the next leg down intensifies.

Not saying it "will" or "wont" .. just saying its an interesting data to point to watch. we're not that far from 200 day average.
Such an actuary

C1 C2 1 2 3F 3L 4 5 6
Old 05-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenGoal View Post
Such an actuary
Ha. I'm very opinionated. (see my other posts).

Just sayin a lot of technical traders out there and it's an important data point to keep your eye on.

200 day on way down is support.. 200 day on way up is resistance Happens a lot
Old 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM
SOA AAA

College: University of Wisconsin
Favorite beer: Ale, Lager, you name it

I've never been a fan of these sorts of indicators. They seem particularly anachronistic in this age of high-speed trading algorithms.